IFish Fishing Forum banner

Highway rant

8K views 79 replies 42 participants last post by  Sirfishalots 
#1 ·
AS we all travel for the differnet hunting and fishing seasons, we get to enjoy all that this wonderful state has to offer!
However we have to travel with others on the Highways. This year was some seriously crazy driving going east in Sept. and then again in Oct. along the I-84. What I witnessed is the continuing lack of regard for the others on the road!

And so I have some recommendations to make!
If you are traveling in the left lane, dont use the cruise control!!!
Some one will always be traveling faster than you!
If you are pulling a trailer of ANY KIND, do not travel in the left lane!
If you must pass someone, take cruise control off and accelerate during the passing of vehicle in Right lane. Also wait until there is little traffic, dont pull out in front of someone in the left lane then pass with cruise control on!!! That is dangerous and very frustrating to the traffic traveling in the left lane. Be patient your time to pass will come!

And what is with all the Green and Silver ZEROS on rigs nowadays?
Is DVM requiring them on repeat offenders? For they seem to be the worst drivers!!!

And dont forget to stop at the ODFW Check station in Biggs Junction.!
Very good infomation for the ODFW to collect and you may see some big critters coming in! Oh and then they send you the age of your critter!
Kind of cool!!

See less See more
#3 ·
So are you one of those who will get in the left lane and pass a car going 64 in the right lane at 65? And not give a damn about the line of cars behind you and open road in front of you. The only thing better than this would be to watch you and rob allen try to pass each other.:palm:

#6 ·
I feel your pain brother, all I want to do is do the speed limit when traveling. A ton of drivers will get in the passing lane and give you the attitude of it's my right to go slow in the passing lane. In no time what you have is the fast lane going slow and everyone is passing in the slow lane. You know Murphy's law. As soon as I get in the new passing lane, that lane will slow down and everyone will be passing in the correct lane again. :palm:. I am not talking about being in a traffic jam either, the highway is wide open except for the truckers going 55 in their lane. So now the 60 mph folks get in the passing lane and just stay there. Very frustrating! To stay positive, at least we don't have this. :palm:

#17 ·
Here is reality. The left lane in most states is smoother than the right lane due to overloaded trucks tearing up the roads. We travel a lot and most passenger cars use the left lane because they are tired of the thumping and bumps. If cars come up behind and want to pass most people then move over, allow the pass and move back into the left lane. Never had a ticket or given one to someone using the left lane and traveling at speeds that are reasonable and prudent
Get over it! This comes up constantly. Everyone, according to some, are supposed to pass quickly so some can fly to wherever it is they think is more important than anything else.

#18 · (Edited)
When I am in the left lane passing I will not drive fast enough to get a ticket. If you come screaming up behind me driving 15 MPH over the limit you will have to wait for me to pass. I will not get a ticket to let you by. Many times when you get in the left lane to pass that car speeds up I don't know why they do it but they do. If you need to travel that high above the speed limit you should just leave sooner and not endanger the lives of the people around you. I am not aiming these comments at anyone but if it fits then I am probably talking about you or people who drive that way. I really don't care for people endangering my family with their driving habits. :)

Mike

#27 · (Edited)
If that's what's going on .. cell phone use .. I agree. It's illegal in Oregon. IMHO you have a RESPONSIBILITY to report them. If you don't, you're almost as guilty as they are.

On the other hand, some areas have "local rules" ... shouldn't but do. There are a couple of lights I go through where you better wait 2-3 seconds and look an extra time because the light will be run after it's red as often as not. If you do what the law allows, you will be right, DEAD right .. but probably dead none the less.

#25 · (Edited)
If you want a nice safe drive, mind your own business and leave playing traffic cop to people paid to do so. I will drive in any lane I want. I will drive any speed I want. It might be Mr Ossifer's business. It's not your business.

If you are going to flash your brights at me, you better be right 'cause I guarantee if I didn't have them on before, I will afterwards

It might not stop there. It seems to me the kind of things ya'll are talking about are the things that trigger road rage incidents ... watch the news ... people do get killed.

#30 ·
Oh geez!

#32 ·
if you are doing the speed limit you are not being un-courtious being in the left lane. you are driving legally and perhaps safely.

if you are tailgating or pushing the guy doing the speed limit in any lane you are a dangerous driver.

the left lane was never built so that someone can break the legal speed limit. it is there to handle extra traffic at the speed limit and so you can pass those not going the speed limit in the right lane.

#33 ·
Contrary to what some here are espousing, the left lane IS for passing. Why would there be signs displaying SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT if the left lane weren't for passing? It doesn't matter what speed you're driving, when you finish passing, move back to the right lane please.

We can all agree that zooming up from behind and tailgating and/or flashing brights is wrong and often unsafe and only serves to tick off the person in front. Tailgaters suck and I won't speed up to get out of their way either.

Doing 70 on I-84 through Eastern Oregon is not an unsafe speed. I learned to drive in Pendleton when the speed limit was 75 and most folks cruised at 80---similar to today where the general flow of traffic on I-84 is about 70 (5 over). I remember one Friday going to Cove from Pendleton with the speed limit signs reading 70, and coming home on Monday with the signs reading 55. I'm telling you, it felt like we were crawling on I-84.

There are always going to be speed regulators on the road, tailgaters, and drivers that are doing everything except paying attention and won't get out of the passing lane for any reason. Just be patient and resist tailgating and flashing lights at the car in front of you. Deep breaths--don't let them get to you.

#34 ·
if i'm going my usual 5-10 over don't expect me to get right to have to do speed limit or less impeding my flow. you get by when i don't have to slow down while you pass. don't ride my corner panel rather than go by when i give you the opening either.

as for those green and silver zeros put on there by another zero are probably not u of o grads just wannabes.

#35 ·
Thanks Joe. Reasonable and prudent is the key. It isn't about the posted speed in most open highway situations. If the highway is covered with ice and snow, 35 might be too fast. Same highway is good conditions, 75 may be both reasonable and prudent.....and also courteous if that is the prevailing speed. Far too many folks focus on what the posted speed is and not what's reasonable, prudent and courteous. Really, if the posted speed is one number and a person thinks 1 or 2 mph over what's posted is unsafe, they are probably unsafe no matter what speed they're driving.

Going back to the original post and the use of cruise control. I use it as much as possible. Nothing irritates me more than drivers who won't maintain a constant speed. Try following a car going 65 one minute and 62 the next, 66 the next. Grrrrrrr........ It doesn't matter what lane you're in. Cruise control use doesn't mean always maintaining a constant speed, it is adjustable. When I'm in the left lane passing someone slowly and see someone coming up behind me, maybe a half mile back, I adjust my speed upward to accommodate the traffic behind as a courteous gesture. If you don't do this, the OP's rant is about you. You have a rear view mirror, use it. What goes on behind a person is just as important as that ahead.

#49 ·
I agree with this post.
Thanks Joe. Reasonable and prudent is the key. It isn't about the posted speed in most open highway situations. If the highway is covered with ice and snow, 35 might be too fast. Same highway is good conditions, 75 may be both reasonable and prudent.....and also courteous if that is the prevailing speed. Far too many folks focus on what the posted speed is and not what's reasonable, prudent and courteous. Really, if the posted speed is one number and a person thinks 1 or 2 mph over what's posted is unsafe, they are probably unsafe no matter what speed they're driving.

Going back to the original post and the use of cruise control. I use it as much as possible. Nothing irritates me more than drivers who won't maintain a constant speed. Try following a car going 65 one minute and 62 the next, 66 the next. Grrrrrrr........ It doesn't matter what lane you're in. Cruise control use doesn't mean always maintaining a constant speed, it is adjustable. When I'm in the left lane passing someone slowly and see someone coming up behind me, maybe a half mile back, I adjust my speed upward to accommodate the traffic behind as a courteous gesture. If you don't do this, the OP's rant is about you. You have a rear view mirror, use it. What goes on behind a person is just as important as that ahead.
I use cruise control as often as possible as well. Going a constant speed let`s you see other drivers actions that I have to believe, as I have faith in the well meaning of my fellow man, that these actions are sub conscience, meaning the drivers really have no idea what they`re doing to other traffic. I cite the driver being passed that speeds up mentioned in an earlier post as an example. The hiway 30 shuffle, you know what I mean if you drive it regularly, is another.

I`d rather we all did the same speed, and stay between the ditches. Shiny side up.

#37 ·
"Give them an inch and they will take a mile."

For some reason this quote is really relevant to driving. At one point in time not all that ago, drivers really were gambling driving 70+ on I5. I know this because in my youth I have plenty of speeding tickets for driving 60 through Salem and 70 by Woodburn.

Fast forward to today we actually had a law debated about getting out of the way of speeders. Maybe it's time to just carpet ticket speeders on I5 for going more than 67 MPH and adjust speed limits where prudent.

Click it or ticket, speed gets fined, hang up or dole out. Let's enforce the laws and use the ticket data to adjust speed limits on interstates where they need to be adjusted. Just view your ticket as helping the cause to change what is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 ·
This whole left lane and flow of traffic thing comes up all the time. People residing off of HWY 30 complain endlessly on a particular local FB page about left lane campers like a bunch of cackling hens. My philosophy, I'll use the left lane to pass someone and then get back over. If you want to go all lead foot in the left lane, more power to you. I'll not begrudge you of that. Someday your luck will probably run out and you'll be the recipient of that good citizenship award. Who am I to deny you that privilege?:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.