IFish Fishing Forum banner

Mann Lake

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  malheur1 
#1 ·
Headed to Mann Lake in a couple of weeks, I have never been there. Can anyone tell me where I might go to wade fish and what bugs I should take?
Thanks

#3 ·
Unless they get some rain down there expect very low water conditions at Mann Lake. You will be able to pretty much wade out anywhere. The issue will be the density of the weeds and algae growth from the last month of hot weather and shallow water. Sometimes it can be pretty challenging keeping your flies out of the dense weeds.

Scuds and small nymphs will play well as the fish are foraging before winter. Small dark buggers will work as well if you can get them beyond the weeds. Also make sure to check the weather forecast, that time of the year conditions can change rapidly. The wind can really charge down the East side of the Steens and just hammers the lake.

JL

#6 ·
The water will be VERY low. when i went for the first time this spring with a friend we saw the water line was way high up,as in the water had already dropped several ft. But mann did we catch fish. black leech patterns did the best quickly stripped on a floating line,because you are fishing such shallow water. id wade out about 10-15yds, and cast,strip your fly back. there are also big chironomids,and some callibaetis. i hooked a few on chironomids this spring.

just prepare for water that is very very very low. im not sure i would fish it until the rains arrive to be honest but it wouldn't hurt to at least go look and see if you are in the area anyways

#7 ·
Cool place. I haven't been in several years, though. A couple unique things about Mann Lake that I have not seen other places. I found better fishing with a floating line compared to an intermediate. I've never fished a lake with stripped flies and had a floating line work better than my intermediate, other than at Mann. Also, simple brown flies worked better than more exotic, natural looking ones. In fact, another fisherman gave me a fly that was nothing more than some pheasant tail wrapped on a hook with a silver bead. Tail was pheasant tail as well. Looked like it was part of a fly. The fisherman called it a "stick fly" and you could tie a dozen in an hour pretty easily, probably more.

Make sure you visit the hot springs.

One of the 2 times I have been checked by a cop on the water (not counting boat inspections) was at Mann Lake on a Tuesday. Pretty crazy. 20 miles of dirt road and there he was.

#10 ·
Thank you for the kind words Bill. You might hear people talk about the wind.... listen to what they say, i will never stay there again in a tent and be prepared for 80 mph gust out of no where. On the plus side i hope you havent left yet...might be able to get you dialed in. I have never fished Mann in the summer only spring. Fish this time of year are trying to pack on weight to "spawn" which they cant do... and to prepare of warm summer water tempts. Anyways water will be low, fish will be concentrated, but will mostly likely be sluggish during the day. Morning and evening bites should be good tho. If you want really specific details you can shoot me a Pm.

Until then...

http://vimeo.com/user13610608/stick-it-to-the-mann

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.