IFish Fishing Forum banner

Wolves on Hebo Mtn???

15K views 50 replies 40 participants last post by  huntgrouse 
#1 ·
!!!!!!DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!!!

I have some friends that were running hounds up by Hebo Mtn last night and apparently ran into some wolves, I guess they ran across the road in front of them. From what I was told they also talked with a ODFW employee up their that said they have planted 2 pairs in that area and have been tracking them from Agency Cr. to Hebo Mtn.

Please do not bash me, but this is not the first report I have gotten about wolf/wolf track sightings in the area. My girlfriend is from that area so we hear a lot from her friends and family. Can anyone on here verify any of this?

#32 ·
Sounds like the cats out of the bag. There have been wolves there for awhile
True statement, 2yrs ago while bowhunting just up agency I came face to face with one at about 15ft, then later the same year my brother and I were glassing for elk and spotted one (maybe the same one) about a mile off. We used a log laying next to it to gauge it's size, and there is no possible way it was a coyote. About 15 years ago when coming back from sighting our guns in, a buddy and I saw one right in the road, again, wayyy too big to be a coyote. My Dad used to tell me when I was a kid that he saw one up agency as well, so, they have been ther a long time. I have heard them howling on many occassions.

#9 ·
Long Shot,

I certainly can't verify the story, and I have no intention of shooting the messenger. Having said that, I just can't imagine that the ODFW has a "Black Ops budget" for planting and tracking wolves. While some may question decisions made by ODFW , I just can't get my head around the idea that they could decide to plant wolves and try to keep it quiet. It's bad enough that they are in Oregon at all. Planting wolves in dairy country would be a bad decision of epic proportions.

Orion

#11 ·
I cannot really say that I do believe them, but at the same time I cannot say I don't. I guess it is just one of those things that one would have to see with there own eyes. I certainly hope that this is not true, but if it is then I am with the Forest Park crowd......How funny would that be!

#10 ·
I certainly am no expert in this arena but a couple of things come to mind...I have heard alot of discussion in the past about hybrids. Could it be hybrids that owners let go? And secondly, if that wolf #7 or whatever could migrate from way over in E. Oregon and is currently being tracked in northern Cali...certainly possible for a pair or two to make it to the coast range, isn't it? Or does ODF&W have tracking devices on every wolf?

I'm with the Forest Park idea...for wolves AND cougar. Probably already cougs in Forest Park.

#17 ·
...does ODF&W have tracking devices on every wolf?
Making the assumption that the question is: "Does ODF&W have tracking devices on every wolf currently residing within the borders of the state of Oregon?" :flowered:

According to the testimony given at the ODFW Commission meeting on Friday, January 6, 2012: "Not at the present time". :cool:

Certainly would be useful for a number of different reasons. :idea:

#22 ·
Last year I found this track.......went for about 1/2 mile crossing on and off the road with a lone set of elk tracks. This was above agency creek and the closest other vehicle or boot tracks we saw were well over 5-8 miles away?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Ray-
A track made by a wolf will really make you stop and wonder. This track was made by a juvenile and its still bigger than what I've seen from other dogs.

#23 ·
There have been no wolves "planted" anywhere in Oregon

come on joe that is exactly what we were all told a decade ago, then all of a sudden it was " ya we planted wolves in oregon, but we are keeping quiet about it". we all know that we can't trust our state agencies to be honest and truthful to the public on this subject, if wolves were not planted on mt.hebo i am sure that there is a person or two with the aroma of natural incense drooling over the idea.

#25 ·
Any time you deal with a state or government agency such as fish and game that is slowly being made up of non hunting and fishing employees you will never get the truth from and as long as this re introduce predator program going on you will still ne getting those off the record talks with game cops about the never ending shoot, shovel and shut up talks. If the people in charge would realy be straight with what there realy are or aren't doing we wouldn't be needing this thread. :twocents:

#27 ·
I have PERSONALLY seen a pair of wolves up on Hebo from about 85 yards. They were stalking the very same deer that I was hunting - the deer ended up blowing out and headed for the next county. The wolves dropped down the canyon and out of sight, but I had them in sight and in the scope for some time. No, it wasn't just a fleeting glimpse, more like 15 - 20 seconds, with multiple looks for anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. And I am POSITIVE they were wolves and not yotes or hybrids - WAYYY too big, like 100 pounds too big.

So you "experts" can tell yourselves what you want, just keep reminding yourselves that the government would never lie to you. Not just keep details from you, but downright LIE to keep their butts covered.

#31 ·
What is this lie that we are being told? Who is covering their butt? Conspiracies abound but so far they seem a bit far fetched and lack any sensible explanation. So did "they" plant wolves on Mt Hebo???? Why is this a secret when all other factual info about actual wolves in Oregon public knowledge? Are "they" planning something????????

#29 ·
Please remember that you have to sign your real name if you are complaining about a person, business or government entity. And also remember this is a "one strike and you are out" forum.

#33 ·
Several years ago I saw two at ollali lake in the cascades cross the road I went to the forest service and they said just coyotes. I said really They didnt look anything like the 500 plus yots I have trapped in the last 20 years. went to fish and game and they said that they were wolf dogs that some wolf lover ( cant remember the name of said group) group planted and that they issued citations to them for there actions and they were trapping them. I have not seen them since. Now having said that and reviewing this thread, I do believe you all saw a wolf of some sort. they most likley are not the Canadian gray wolf that you think but still. there goal is to end hunting through the wolf and if the ODFW cant do that for them they will do it themselves. Quit blaming the ODFW they are doing what they can. Id start looking a little east to salm based orginization like preditor defence

http://www.predatordefense.org/issues.htm
Or
http://ecotrope.opb.org/2011/10/wolf-advocates-sue-oregon-call-off-the-hunt/

Now Im not saying these orginizations have anything to do with it but one of there members or like minded people could have shurly dreamed of seeing wolves there and bought and bread a pack
http://www.wolfzone1.com/

http://www.starcrosswolves.com/

Its no different then someone stocking a lake with large mouth. Its just my opinion and thoughts. I believe you guys saw a wolf just not a gray wolf and Im sure the odfw had nothing to do with it.

#35 ·
I have seen them in the Slivies unit. My Uncle seen some we told a forest ranger about it. He said that they are cross breads of the dog yote kind. Must be half great dane. A buddy of mine has pictures of some up in the snow peak area. Not one a pack of about eight. This was about 7 years ago. There here have always been here. TY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.