Freezer burned fish - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-18-2004, 07:49 AM   #1
ampersat
King Salmon

Default Freezer burned fish

So what are the symptoms of freezer burned fish? I pulled some salmon out of the freezer last weekend, thawed it out and cooked it. It just wasn't the quality experience that I was hoping for. I'm looking for both how you would determine by looking at it that it's freezer burned and what it does to the texture and/or taste of the fish.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
Pyramid
Chromer

Default Re: Freezer burned fish

Hi Amp
Well, discoloration is the obvious answer. Any you've been a member long enough to have seen the vacuum sealer threads.

Anybody know if crab will take freezer burned fish?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:03 AM   #3
roadsend
King Salmon

"Anybody know if crab will take freezer burned fish?"

Not nearly as well as the fresh stuff.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Fshklr
Tuna

another way to detect is if the fish looks pourous when frozen..(alot of moisture has evaporated from it's surface)..another sign is excessive ice crystal build up which is the moisture being pulled from the meat.

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
ampersat
King Salmon

Yep, lots of ice crystals inside with the fish.

So, what does it do to the fish itself in terms of table quality? It seemed a bit "mealy" to me and flaky in a way that wasn't pleasant.

Maybe I thawed it out too aggressively. I usually take the package and put it into a pot of hot tap water to thaw it out. Maybe I did it one too many times or too hot?

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
Fshklr
Tuna

Amp,
slow cold running water if needed while still in package, but defrosted in fridge for 24 hrs or more is best. never hot or warm water. If using ziplocks then water needs to be added to bag before freezing..even ziplocks will breath and are only effective 30 days at best. An old trick I once learned is freeze your prize and then after a couple days remove and immerse into a pan or sink of COLD water for 2 seconds letting a thin sheen of water freeze to the outside of the flesh after removing from the water. Do this 2 or 3 times and it will help.
Then wrap in saran wrap then place back into your ziplocks...or (Vacuum pac and no pre freezing needed). I believe the ice dipping process is called Glazing and works really well.
If you have a frost free freezer it is even harder to control and Vac packing will be the only solution. As for the meat quality..much of the flesh , and enzimes will break down while the moisture is drawn out of the meat during freezing, and they when thawed the quality is as you said, bland, grainy, tasteless. At best is becomes stew meat, sandwich spread, etc.
A good way to determine if your freezer is frost free is check your ice cubes...if they constantly are shrinking in the ice tray it is a frost free and is very hard on meat unless proper steps are taken to protect it.

[ 01-18-2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:08 AM   #7
graybeard
Steelhead

Crab love freezer burned fish.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:13 AM   #8
StinkyH
Tuna!

Food Saver Vaccum packers do great as far as I'm concerned.

We thawed out and grilled some Chinook fillets caught in Canada last year(frozen for 6 months) and it was great. Pulled from the freezer and left it in the sink with cold water to defrost - took about two hours - no hints of freezer burn... and this is in a frost-free freezer.

With the time and efforts spent on catching a fish - the food saver is definitely worth the investment to keep your catch in top shape until you're ready to consume. Also comes in handy for many other items.

My 2

StinkyH

[ 01-18-2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]
Old 01-18-2004, 12:15 PM   #9
Rakkasan
Ifish Nate

Stinky said it. I ate some steelhead from last year that I vacuum sealed. After I vacuum seal I also wrap it in foil. It tasted great. Costco has a good setup.
Rakkasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:04 PM   #10
SKP
Sturgeon

I've tried vaccuum packs, but I prefer a better method with freezer bags.

Get your fished filleted into freezing size. Put your fillets in the freezer bag. Add cold tap water to the freezer bag, until it overflows. Zip the freezer bag shut all except about 1/2 inch corner. Squeeze out all air bubbles, shaking bag to release all air bubbles. Then once all air bubbles are out, flip freezer bag upside down, and squeeze the freezer bag to get rid of most but not all the water. When the water is just at the point of wanting to take in air bubbles, zip the last 1/2 inch shut, and freeze. Your salmon and steelhead will be frozen in ice. Your fish will taste fresh for a year or more. I've eaten two year old fish (during my lame catching years), and the fish is still good. After a year to two years, though the ice starts to crumble, exposing the fish to air pockets.

I remember how my dad taught me to put trout in a 1/2 gallon milk carton filled with water and freeze it, and the fish would stay good a long time frozen in water. This is just my modified method with freezer bags.

Try it, it works. I vaccuumed half my 2002 fall chinook, and freezer bagged with water the other half of my 2002 fall chinook. I just had the last of it about November, and it was fantastic. I believe the freezer bag fish tasted much fresher.

I usually will make smoked salmon out of last year's fish, when I start catching fresh fish for the BBQ.

SKP :grin:
Old 01-18-2004, 01:05 PM   #11
Fast Water
King Salmon

When running a search on "freezer burn", This was the most common response:

Answer: Freezer burn is a food-quality issue, not a food safety issue. It appears as grayish-brown leathery spots on frozen food. It occurs when air reaches the food's surface and dries out the product. This can happen when food is not securely wrapped in air-tight packaging. Color changes result from chemical changes in the food's pigment. Although undesirable, freezer burn does not make the food unsafe. It merely causes dry spots in foods. Cut away these areas either before or after cooking the food. When freezing food in plastic bags, push all the air out before sealing.

:smile:

Lower Columbia CCA
Join CCA

Ifish Member #2421

For in the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we are taught.

- Baba Dioum
Fast Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #12
Dinikin
Tuna!

SKP - that is the way to do it for Long-Safe storage.
Dinikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:56 PM   #13
Wood N' Fish
Steelhead

I feel fresh fish is best, consumed in short order. Unless you flash freeze your catch, 90 day's in a household freezer @ -10f is the max I want to store it, even if it is frozen in ice, or vacuum sealed. I feel the best way to preserve fish is to can it. If you've ever had kippered canned salmon, everything frozen is pale in comparison. IMHO
Wood N' Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:16 PM   #14
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

Agreed that crab like freezer burned fish. It is a go to bait.
Member #81
Pitch Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:05 PM   #15
wade
Chromer

I'll add another yes to the stuff being good crab bait. A lot of the bait you buy is merely a pile of fish carcasses which remain after getting filleted which are then thrown into the freezer with no protection, other than maybe something between them so they don't stick together. Those get freezer burned right away.

I've seen plenty of freezer burn but can't add anything to the good info already presented. Other than, to keep a freezer full of any kind of food especially fish takes vigilance to get it to the table in a timely manner. It helps to date everything with a piece of paper in the bag with the species and month caught, or a marker on the bag. I won't freeze another fish until that one is gone but I might go overboard a bit- I wasted a big bass once and vowed never again.

Kevin
Old 01-18-2004, 09:19 PM   #16
Sky-Guy
Steelhead

Ampersat, I caught a ton of pinks last year and lazily threw some of them in the freezer on a couple late evenings in only ziplock bags. I took them out a month later to smoke they had some burn, but It only seemed to affect the top layer of the meat. After de-thawing I layed a blade almost flat on the fillet and could make a thin cut to get the burned and dried part off. The remaining fish was fine. Give it a shot.

[ 01-18-2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Sky-Guy ]
Sky-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:26 PM   #17
hankstr
Chromer

Ive had the pleasure of sampling SKP's smoked salmon mmmmm good can't wait for some more lol i have also used his method it works great

[ 01-18-2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: hankstr ]
Old 01-19-2004, 08:02 AM   #18
greenbuttskunk

freezer burn will have a lighter color typically. The important thing is too mimimize the ability for open air to make contact with the meats surface. Once thawed, cut the discolored and dried out meat off, it helps. The flavor is still less than properly frozen meat but it really helps. Burned meat tastes really bland. If you don't want to waste any throw it into some chowder with other good seafood to mask it.