Brownlee heating up - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #61
Land Shark
Chromer

Default Re: Brownlee heating up

We are heading up to Woodhead from the 22nd to the 31rst of this month. We have always stayed at Hewitt Park before so this will be a new area for us. Have Ifish stickers on both sides of the boat so if ya see us give a honk or wave and point me in the direction of the fish!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #62
arkansasbasser
Ifish Nate

Ok, I have seen frolicing cats. Especially when they feed them in ponds where they raise them. Now that's a kitty of a different color.
arkansasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #63
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Sounds like things are really shaping up over their. COOL! Can't wait to get in on the action.
Hunt'nFish

-------------------------------------
DIY Project: Rear Bass Casting Deck For Sled
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #64
Jrr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig head View Post
do you use a slip bobber or just drop to the bottom? Any good Smallmouth in the resevoir? I never kill smallies. they are are great gamefish. I will kill crappie and perch though. I am thinking about July for there.
Brownlee is totally nuts on the 4th of July weekend, best time is at night during that time frame if you go.
Jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #65
nrcastro213
Coho

Smile Re: Brownlee heating up

Wife and her freind left for Hewitt yesterday. I will be heading for Richland on Wednesday. I will give a quick report as soon as she checks in and gives me the shopping list for Fishermans
nrcastro213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #66
Big Unit
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcastro213 View Post
Wife and her freind left for Hewitt yesterday. I will be heading for Richland on Wednesday. I will give a quick report as soon as she checks in and gives me the shopping list for Fishermans
Tell me about the carp's attitude!!! (spawning or not)

Thanks ahead of time!

BU
Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #67
Rakkasan
Ifish Nate

We are heading out tomorrow. We are three vets just got back with wives in tow and dogs camping for the week. If you are in in the ao comw visit...................oh wait we have no idea where we are going except where the water is warm and the fish are biting. Two new drift boats and pleanty of bait and gear. Any reports would be great as we are open to camp spots. Feel free to call with any sugestions.

Dave
503-453-3190
Rakkasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #68
PApermouthCutter
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRods View Post
We are heading out tomorrow. We are three vets just got back with wives in tow and dogs camping for the week. If you are in in the ao comw visit...................oh wait we have no idea where we are going except where the water is warm and the fish are biting. Two new drift boats and pleanty of bait and gear. Any reports would be great as we are open to camp spots. Feel free to call with any sugestions.

Dave
503-453-3190
Dave i'm also heading out tomorrow for Brownlee!I'm just going to check it out before bringing my 2 sons there to camp for the week.Try at the brownlee dam spillway for cats in the swift water!You should nail a few there!Crappie to the right of the spillway.

Good luck!
PApermouthCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #69
retaliate
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRods View Post
We are leaving to the res on the 10th. Back from Iraq my team leader and I are setting up camp before the ladies and kids get there. Where is the best place to go. I will have my new drifter with the kicker and electric. Looking for some cats to.

Dave

No place is better than any other, some are better at times, others better at other times, It also depends on what kind of Camping you like, we camp in the Graveyard area(aprox 14 miles from Hunnington) cause it's one of the few places in the state where you can camp right on the water, it's free, & we found a spot between Hibbard & the Graveyard that is fairly private, there is also a old Tire someone left there that works well for mooring a Boat on shore, we used it with our 16' drift Boat for years, & it works great, we now have a 15' flat bottom dory similar to our old driftbboat, works great for for that boat also(we stashed the Tire with a old carpet in the brush at the high water line, it's been there for at least 10 years), we pull right up on the tire, a rope for the Bow, & a rope for the stern on the wind side, & don't have to worry about wind, or wake from passing Boats, & don't have to put in, & out each day, however this Camping area is primmitive, a gravel road, & no Showers, unless you have a Motorhome/Camper, the state did put Portapotys, & dumpsters there, to help keep the place clean, improved fee Camping with showers, can be found at Farewell bend on the upper end, Spring camp 4 miles from Hunnington, Hewlett on the powder rv arm at Richland, & Woodhead on the Idaho side near the Dam, all are paved roadway, & Boat ramps, Good Luck!

21' Northriver Seahawk(Maxxum) 175 Suzuki
Boat name "Adrenaline"

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
Geddy Lee/Neil Peart
retaliate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #70
HammerinHonkers
Steelhead

I have a question about licenses. We are going to stay at woodhead, and wanted to fish Brownlee and Oxbow. What state license should I get? We were planning on fish from a boat at all times, but I heard something about the Power Arm and having to have a Oregon license. I know a non-res Idaho license is cheaper.
HammerinHonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #71
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

It's my understanding that if you plan to fish the Powder Arm you will need an Oregon License.
If not, then an Idaho license would be best.

Ok, now I have a question. I have an Oregon license, can I launch out of a Idaho side launch and return w/ fish?
Or do I have to return w/ said fish to an Oregon launch? Or does anyone (LEO's) even care?
I've always wondered.
Hunt'nFish

-------------------------------------
DIY Project: Rear Bass Casting Deck For Sled
Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #72
HammerinHonkers
Steelhead

Thanks HuntnFish. The other question I had was, is the weather in Richland a good indicator for what it will be like temps wise down on the river. Never been there before and dont know how much of an elevation difference there is. We are heading there on Thur for 4 days and the weather in Richland looks decent.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #73
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

No elevation change to speak of. Woodhead & Richland are at nearly the same elevation & only seperated by a few miles.
So I image the forcast will be the same.
Hunt'nFish
Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #74
Pyrojake
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhldrbus View Post
kinda early for snakes,i've tried eating one,not a fan.think they're protected now.weather change should improve the bite,fish lower in the res.,morgan creek,powder arm etc.as the upper res.and river are cold brrrr.saw hundreds of cats jumpin last trip(2 weeks ago)have caught a couple this year(1-6lb).
Maybe carp? theyre always thrashing around on top when we're fishing at brownlee
Pyrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #75
plhldrbus
Steelhead

carp too,cats dont clear the water but when theyre floppin around by the dos.10 ft from the boat even i know the differance,have caught thousands over the years...launch either side with or.-id license and invasive species tags-exept powder arm...is what l.e.o told me in early apr. and what ive read here&elsewhere...
plhldrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #76
ifish4king
Steelhead

Is brownlee really that good, to make such a long trip? It would be a 7 hr trip from seattle. I'm only afraid if I go there, I get skunk.
ifish4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #77
Jrr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4king View Post
Is brownlee really that good, to make such a long trip? It would be a 7 hr trip from seattle. I'm only afraid if I go there, I get skunk.
Fish with crappie chaser the first day then tear em up.
Jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #78
FelonFinder
Tuna!

Quote:
DO IT. If you hit it on nice weather this time of year, you may find yourself with more crappie than you care to clean...even from the bank. If you book with Crappie Chaser, your odds of having a huge pile of fish are going to go way up. It's a long haul from the Portland area too, but you can see how many guys go anyway. There's a reason! :>
Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #79
cimfl
Chromer

Quote:

No, it's not! This is one of those places where people catch a few fish, and stretch the stories out, next thing you know, it's the only hot spot in the area. I have probably caught more fish in my own waters around here than I have ever caught over on the Snake. Stay home. Surely not worth driving all that way over there just to find out you could have gone to the local lake and done just as well or better.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #80
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

Today's box. This crew thought the fishing was pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1241.JPG (192.1 KB, 114 views)
Crappie Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #81
codeman
Tuna!

thats a nice mix of blacks and whites there! Are you finding one species larger than the other this year? We just got back from oxbow, and the blacks were definately a lot fatter than the whites we were catching. Back in the late 90's when i was in college in idaho, we used to catch some monster white crappie down in the huntington area of brownlee, lots of them in the 2 - 3 pound range. I havent caught a crappie over about 1 pound out of brownlee since then. are they still around??
codeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #82
HammerinHonkers
Steelhead

Crappie Chaser
What do you think the nice weather will do to the smallies and the crappie in the next few days? We are heading over on Thur for 4 days, weather looks good. We will be in the white Spectrum boat, two dude and two hots chicks, keep an eye out. Cant wait to get over!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #83
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

Codeman, in the cycle we're in now the dominate age class is 4yr old 10-11" fish. For the last few years these fish have made up 99% of the catch. For the next 2 years we should see some quality fish then after that maybe some 16-17"er's.It's kind of a mystery to me why we don't see more super size slabs. My last catch of slabs was Nov. of 04, 4 fish that totaled 10lbs.

Last edited by Crappie Chaser; 05-11-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #84
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerinHonkers View Post
Crappie Chaser
What do you think the nice weather will do to the smallies and the crappie in the next few days? We are heading over on Thur for 4 days, weather looks good. We will be in the white Spectrum boat, two dude and two hots chicks, keep an eye out. Cant wait to get over!
Driving home today and looking up at the snow on the EagleCaps I was wondering the same thing.The water temp got up to 55 in the lower Powder. We need the warm days to keep it rising but if that snow starts coming off fast it could cool the Powder down again. Eagle Creek was running muddy today. If it does cool down the Powder warm days will only help the Snake. These fish are busting with eggs and need to spawn soon.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #85
gojets
Steelhead

Is anyone catching any perch? From the looks of that cooler full of crappie it looks like its worth the trip. I don't think i could end up with a cooler full like that from any place close to my house!
gojets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #86
retaliate
King Salmon

Certainly worth the long drive for many of us, been fishing Brownlee for close to 30 yrs now, back when we were young we used to drive after working swing shift on Fri. drive all night to fish with the crowds on Memorial weekend, & drive back Tue. morning to be at work by 4pm, too old to do that anymore, & don't like fishing with the Crowds anymore either, so an annual/semi annual week + on the res. in Spring is more then worth the drive for us, It's not all about the fishing, altho mostly, Camping right on the Water with plenty of Sun is something we don't have anywhere in western OR. during the Spring, Owyhee has had better Crappie fishing the past few years(didn't fish it this year) but we like the Camping better at Brownlee, we have found a few good Crappie spots here & there, but nothing compared to Brownlee, or Owyhee, + plenty of Bass, & Catfish too.

Boat name "Adrenaline"

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
Geddy Lee/Neil Peart
Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #87
ifish4king
Steelhead

Wow. I have a 16' glass boat and am itching to take it for a 3 day camp n fish trip. I don't need a cooler full of fish but would like to get my 2 kids into some action. You know how kids go, if fish don't bite every 5 minutes, they lose interest real quick. Can someone give a fellow ifisher some advice and locations? Don't need a secret honey hole or anything. Just some good advice for someone traveling 7 hrs and having a good time.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #88
ifish4king
Steelhead

Crappie fishing at Brownlee must be like a secret steelhead honey hole.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #89
retaliate
King Salmon

No secret, everybody has their favorite area they like to fish, Brownlee is a large/long res. close to 70 miles long when full, May is a great time of year for Kids, Crappie can be caught from Shore with a Bobber about 4' down, put a worm on a bobber, & you'll catch Bass, Perch, & Bluegill, easy fishing for kids, with a Boat you can get away from the crowds, we like to go to the Idaho side for that reason, from the Graveyard area, Rock cr cove across & south from Morgan cr is a good one, Wolf cr cove across from Conner cr is another good one, this is the area I know best, keep in mind Rattlesnakes are present, & usually start to show around this time of year, Good Luck! Have fun.

Boat name "Adrenaline"

Geddy Lee/Neil Peart
Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #90
arkansasbasser
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Crappie fishing at Brownlee must be like a secret steelhead honey hole.
I have a buddy that says that all you have to do is putt around with the depth finder on until you see the big schools of crappie. Then stop and fish.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #91
olderthandirt
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasbasser View Post
wiki.answers.com says no to catfish jumping out of the water

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_catfish_jump_out_of_water

But you can't beleive everything you read on the net, so I'm waiting to see my first jumping cat.
Trust me they do jump.
olderthandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #92
EZOP
Steelhead

Last weekend was some pretty fun fishing around Woodhead. Targeted bass and started at the Dam. We caught 20 plus quickly in the 12-14 inch range. Nothing to big. We then tried different locations and had the same results. Lots of bass and crappie, pretty much every where. If you found one you where going to find many more. If no action just move on. I drop shotted and did well, but the wife started catching bass and crappie on a small jig casting very close to the bank. You can see the jig in one of the pic's. So swapped to that and did very well also.
Here's a couple pic's of the wife and some of the many we caught.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD bass.jpg (111.3 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg DD Crappie.jpg (187.4 KB, 336 views)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #93
arkansasbasser
Ifish Nate

Nice! And the fish ain't bad either.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #94
dragon67
Steelhead

EZOP we are headed your way this next coming week. Not sure if we are staying at Hewitt all week or if we are going to Carter Landing that way we can go to brownly or oxbow that way we are in the middle.
dragon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #95
idaspud
Fry

We have been at Woodhead for 7 days now and the water is warming up but the fish are not biting as well as in the past. We catch about 25 to 30 per day per boat in about 4 hours. BUT the fish are pretty good size.
Just not as good as in the past. Should be better soon. Spud
idaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #96
nrcastro213
Coho

Sorry for the late report. Just got back from Hewitt. crappie are hitting on just about everything maybe we were just lucky over a 100 kept over 10 inches and many released everyday. had really good luck on red and whites on bobbers had even better luck on pumpkin seed crappie nibbles are always a plus. cats and perch are hitting on worms in the flats
nrcastro213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #97
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Nice guys, NICE!
Can't wait to get over there. Rear deck project for the sled is finished, everything's lubed, oil topped off, fueled, batteries charging as I type. Just need to pack the camper, fill propane & buy groceries.
Getting anxious.
HUnt'nFish
Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #98
Snapset
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
Nice guys, NICE!
Can't wait to get over there. Rear deck project for the sled is finished, everything's lubed, oil topped off, fueled, batteries charging as I type. Just need to pack the camper, fill propane & buy groceries.
Getting anxious.
HUnt'nFish
Me too. Heading over on the 27th. Crappie every cast is something I dream about all year long. And this year I get to fish for catfish at the same time. I can't wait!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #99
Land Shark
Chromer

The weather looks pretty nasty for the first couple days starting Sat for my week over at Woodhead. Anybody else braving the elements that week over there? I talked to the camp host at Hewitt park yesterday and she said there was a carcass of a 4 foot long catfish with a head 12inches across at the cleaning station.... yikes!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #100
HammerinHonkers
Steelhead

We were at Woodhead for 4 days last week. The weather was awesome and the water warmed everyday. The crappie fishing was awesome, in the evening we could put 40 in the boat between two of us in the last hour of light. The size was great, pretty much all over 10, and I caught one that was close to 13. Any color crappie jig worked, I liked the brown body and chartruse(sp?) tail. We caught a ton of smallies but could never get on a pattern for larger fish. We did catch a couple cats. We fished mostly around Woodhead, within 3 miles or so. Spend half a day in the Powder river, but we were doing better in the Snake so we bailed out. My first time there, it was awesome.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #101
Mad Mikey
Sturgeon

Today. Weather was ugly in the AM but got a little better later on. Caught around 20 or so jigging from the bank, changing spots often and steering clear of the tent cities. Kept 11 of the biggest, only 3 over 10" though.

Mad Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote