Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel HO? what is the difference? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 04-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
TH
Ifish Nate

Default Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel HO? what is the difference?

Got a question for you Dodge guys

6 cyl. tubro
vs
6 cyl HO turbo

what is the difference? is there a better choice? looking for a family rig that will tow a big boat!

what type of mileage are you getting around town and on the hwy?
pulling?

is there enough room in the back for an adult?
any advise or info is greatly appreciated

Guns dont kill people.... Dad's with pretty daughters do.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make some more!!!!
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
newfly
Steelhead

Default Re: Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel HO? what is the differe

is this a used truck your looking at? there was, at one time, a so verion (standard output) and an ho version (high output). in 2003, the year i'm most familiar with, the so engine had 235 hp and 455 pounds torque. the ho engine had 305 hp and 550 pounds of torque. a huge difference. i think that the '03 and early '04 cummins ho is the best one they ever built. no catalyst and tons of power. the so version, which i also had for a while, was no comparision to the ho.
newfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
TH
Ifish Nate

so the HO would be the one I need to look at
what type of mileage were you getting?

Guns dont kill people.... Dad's with pretty daughters do.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make some more!!!!
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Jackson
Steelhead

Default Re: Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel HO? what is the difference?

Hey TH
I have the 2001 2500 HO 6 cylinder and get around 18 mpg. Its a good engine, just a little loud.

Jackson
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
traks44
Ifish Nate

The HO model has about a 25hp more than a regular model 5.9. All of the HO put models have a 6 speed, the regular 5.9 have both a 5 or 6 speed. This is my understanding?

I have a 2000 dodge 2500 longbed 4x4 X-cab, cummins, 5 speed manual. I get 16.5 in town and 20 when I am on the freeway. Putting a 4 inch turbo back exhaust not only lowered my EGTs, but also added some good power, I plan on injectors and intake down the road.

There is room in the back seat but not on long trips. I really dont use the back seat at all personally, but the 4 doors are nice.

You cannot go wrong with a 6 speed manual 24V HO cummins diesel. They run like champs, will pull a house off its foundation and will do it all getting good mileage.

Be aware though, these trucks have a reputation for eating lift pumps.

Good luck, ounce you go diesel you will never go back :smile:
Old 04-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

I have an 04 2500 with the Cummins. I went with the auto tranny due to the fact that Mercedes built the trannies for 04 and the warrenty was for 100 thousand. I have 315 Horses with 600 pounds of torque. Great motors with mongo power. I have 29,000 miles on her and get 19 to 20 on the highway dry and 13 to 14 towing my Seahawk (4800 pounds). I'm sure it will get better as I get more miles on her. The backseat will sit an adult without issue.
Tacklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
MikeN
Tuna!

Great Motors! Very quiet. Tows fabulous!
18 mpg regular driving
13 mpg towing the North River inboard which is around 3800 lbs.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
Herring Problem
Ifish Nate

My 2005 with Autotrans tows faster and easier than my 99. These newer engines are so much better and quiter. I average 18 in town and 21- 22 on the highway , got 14000 on her now.
The HO with 6 speed have more power yet and tow 14000 lbs with good hill performance.

You will be amazed at the hill climb speed towing a 9400 travel trailer and still get 16 mpg at 65mph. I love it. Hate the price of fuel. But for toeing, no gas engine can come close fro power and mileage.

Mileage can run as high as 300,000 miles on the truck before needing major repairs if taken care of. My 99 with autotrns traded in for $23,000 bucks with 235,000 miles on her for a new 05. Now that keeping value, I paid $32,900 for her new.in 99.

Team( WE-Fish)
Herring Problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
Nalu

My dad and I have pretty much identical 2003 Dodge 2500 quad cab diesels, except his is a long bed. Both have auto tranny.

I have a 2003 5.9L SO, and my dad has the 2003 5.9L HO. We both have Predator performance modules.

My engine is rated at 250hp stock, (per the tag on the side of the engine) his is rated at 305 stock. We each gain 85hp with the module, so my SO is now at 335hp. The auto tranny also shifts smoother than it did before the module.

The SO engine has different injectors than the HO. The SO injectors can be replaced with new injectors to make the engine match up HP wise to to the HO.

A while ago my truck was getting just a smidge better mileage than his. Not sure about now, but it was never really much. I have no problem pulling my 10K lb trailer up any and all hills.

My mileage is around 18-21 without pulling, and around 13-14 pulling the 10k trailer. I averaged 14 towing the boat from San Diego, including up and over the Grapevine, and through the Siskyous.

I am more concerned with EGT than I am with the power. I have not replaced the exhaust, or opened up the air intake. Those two things alone would net another 30hp.

My dad thinks my truck sounds better when he rides in it, and I think his sounds better.

If I had a druther, I'd opt for the HO out of the gate. When I bought mine, the extra money for the HO, and the extra cost of the tranny made my decision. If I was buying uised, I certainly wouldn't discount the SO in any way. My truck has the same HP now as current HO models, and with new injectors I would surpass that. The tranny and the EGT's is what will get you. These engines souped up with torque are capable of blowing even the best trannys, and burning up turbos with hot EGT's if you don't watch them.

Pre-common rail model Cummins were the ones known for eating lift pumps. The common rail introduction in 2003 virtually eliminated that.

nalucharters.com - Shimano/G.Loomis Pro Staff
Grady White 282- 4 Person Executive Charters

Anybody can catch a tuna in '07

By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea. They, as He, are mightier than me. - M.J.
Nalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
traks44
Ifish Nate

STAY AWAY FROM 47RE Autos in the 2nd gens. They are natoriously weak like the smaller brother 46RE in the 1500. The 48RE in the 3rd gens are a little stronger but I still hear of people having quite a few problems. If you babied a dodge automatic you could make it work, but common you dont buy a diesel just for pullin a boat

The power in these 2nd and 3rd gen trucks is described in one word, ADDICTING!!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Nalu

You're right on the money traks44! 48RE is what you want.

I haven't heard much of a problem with the 48RE's. I know the previous ones had a number of issues. We've got 100K so far between dad and I pulling big boats and big trailers and so far so good. I don't know if I baby mine or not.... I do head up the hill, and get it running right at the power curve and hold it there.

I fell in love with my truck the first time I pulled the "little" boat (21 foot jet sled with a 351) up to Diamond Lake. 55+ all the way up the hill to the lake, and it never downshifted once. I was like a little kid when I got there.

I even have had a few instances of showing a truck or two how quick a diesel with a module can get off the line. :grin:

By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea. They, as He, are mightier than me. - M.J.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
Salmonator
Sturgeon

The 47RE sucks even if you know how to tow with one. I had a chipped '99 and it would pull a house off a foundation as already mentioned. Mileage with a loaded slide in camper and 22' inboard sled full of fuel and bikes and camping gear (nealy 8 tons) was 12mpg. Loved that truck, hated that transmisson

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #13
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

I'm not much of a motor head so help me out. I have an 04 2500 with the auto tranny. I was told the 04 was the first with the new Cummins diesels coupled with the Mercedez tranny. The tranny has a 100 thousand mile warrenty. Is this the tranny you guys are saying to stay away from and why?

It has worked well for me thus far. I have a Seahawk and very rarely turn the OD off when I tow.
Tacklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
Captain Kirk
Steelhead

I have a 98 24 valve Dually with 438,000 miles on it! Motoer has not been touched except for water pump and belts. Still does not use a drop of oil and get 18 around town 20+ on the road. I can put camper on and boat behind (5000+lbs) and get 14 mpg all day.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #15
jschainsaw
Steelhead

I just had to sell my truck 2 months ago- I had a 2001 2500 long box- 6 speed HO turbo- It was my baby- I found out i am actually having a little girl in August and needed some extra cash- I loveed that truck!!!!
jschainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #16
traks44
Ifish Nate

OH MAN!!!!

I spoke to soon, My injection pump left me stranded today on Cabbage hill on the way to La Grande :depressed: Theres $1500 :depressed:
Old 04-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
jschainsaw
Steelhead

Was that you on the side of the road- I was in La Grande- I think I saw you-
jschainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #18
traks44
Ifish Nate

HAHA, yea a red dodge diesel with a pro-tech headache rack?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #19
Reelentless
Tuna!

Quote:
I am more concerned with EGT than I am with the power.
Do you have an EGT gauge installed? I have a chip with 6 settings on my powerstroke and if I dont turn it down to tow mode (+40 hp), my EGT's go through the roof pulling my boat. I have the open intake and a 4" exhaust too.
Reelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #20
Nalu

Reelentless- No I don't have and EGT gauge installed. If I planned to modify with injectors, or even the different air intake I would add that gauge at a minimum.

As is, I put the lowest Predator module in that isn't adjustable. I was told by the manufacturer that with this module the EGT gauge wasn't needed. If I upgraded any more it would.

If you really want to get into bombing the Cummins engines, there are a lot of resources online. The differences between the HO and SO include different oil nozzles programming, and other mods. Most stuff is emissions related. Some guys that really bomb their motors believe it is better to upgrade a SO than it is a HO due to slight compression differences, and ECU adaptability.

BTW- The 235 rating for the SO was for the California models.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #21
bobber_boy
Tuna!

Quote:
OH MAN!!!!

I spoke to soon, My injection pump left me stranded today on Cabbage hill on the way to La Grande :depressed: Theres $1500 :depressed:
Don't ya love that bellowing white smoke? That happened to our '00 2500 a few years back
Old 04-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #22
MattPark
Sturgeon

The 98.5-2002 24 valve injection pumps are very sensitive to fuel flow to them from the lift pump (fuel pump), and the fuel pumps are piles of garbage. When the lift pump goes out, it can and will take the injection pump out with it.

A fuel pressure gauge is the best money you can spend on your truck, you can see the problem coming before it costs you an injection pump.

The Mercedes transmissions are the 6 speed manuals. The automatics are Dodge units.

Oh, and the HO engines have holes in the pistons to allow oil to flow through them, as opposed to just squirting at them in the standard output engines.

If you are looking for power, you can buy a theoretically cheaper truck with the standard output engine, throw a box on it and it will smoke the HO.