IFish Fishing Forum banner

Steller's Jays!!!

6K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Thumper 
#1 ·
Anyone know a good way to keep Steller's out of freshly sprouting garden goodies? In the last two days, I've lost about 20' of pea sprouts... they don't seem to eat them, but instead enjoy pulling them up, breaking them apart, and scattering the bits around the rows...

They've moved on to nearly everything else I have around the property, including pulling up petunias in the window boxes...

Grrrrr....:mad:

#4 ·
Ya gotta focus the little critters on the better choice. Put out a cup of peanuts each and every day of the garden season. They are cheap at the bird seed stores.

No more jay problems.

And your neighbors will love you for the peanut plants....:whistle:

#8 · (Edited)
Anyone know a good way to keep Steller's out of freshly sprouting garden goodies?
A page from a very recent Sparks adventure. :wink: Give a jumbo bag of Goldfish to someone with a 12 pack, the munchies and mariachi music and have them stand outside far away from your garden. It works. Hours of sheer mayhem and pandemonium on the deck of a state park yurt.

I swear Mr. Ranger, I have no idea how that chipmunk and jay got into the yurt at Cape Lookout.:whistle:

#11 ·
Check with the ODFW and see if they are protected by the state or the Federal Gov. and if it is legal to shoot them. Then if it is ok get the 12 gauge out and blast-em.:excited:

When I was a young sprout we used a 12 Gauge to keep them out of the filbert orchard and Garden. :excited:

DAB

#12 ·
Check with the ODFW and see if they are protected by the state or the Federal Gov. and if it is legal to shoot them. Then if it is ok get the 12 gauge out and blast-em.:excited:

When I was a young sprout we used a 12 Gauge to keep them out of the filbert orchard and Garden. :excited:

DAB
If you scroll down the page on this link to the ODFW website:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/small_game/

you will note that the only birds not protected in Oregon are European starling, house sparrow and rock pigeon.
All others fall under the same protection as game mammals, game birds, furbearers, etc..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.