IFish Fishing Forum banner

Traditional Bowhunting Corner

450K views 3K replies 130 participants last post by  sightsee 
#1 Ā·
Let this be a general trad thread that we can jaw jack about what we love. So, I'll start with... share some pics of your favorite stickbow.

See less See more
#3 Ā·
My wife and I just got back from the Longbow Safari at Hoodoo on the Santiam Pass. Liberty Bows donated a bow for the raffle which of course I didn't win.

It was a great shoot and had about 300 archers from all over the Western States and Canada. I hinted to my wife that I would like to have another bow made as there was a number of bowyers there. I wanted another selfbow and after seeing the work of Carson Brown I didn't hesitate. I'll meet with him this week and decide on whether to use Osage or Yew and what kind of backing. The bow won't be ready for this season but looking forward to using it next year.

This will also give me an excuse to order more arrows from Ron.

#6 Ā·
Walt Miller and I volunteered for an afternoon to help set up for that NALS HooDoo shoot! Looked like a fun course...once you got to the top! :passout:

Giving thanks to the Caribou Gods...lol

Pope and Young shoot in Brownsville...coming up in a few weeks!!

BU

#7 Ā·
"Com'on Man!" I am at work and you can't be doing this to me.....:doh:

I am so geeked for my 1st "Trad" season to get started. I have been shooting ~ 100-120 arrows per week.

Wes Wallace Mentor
64", 65# @ 28"

#8 Ā·
Sightsee...please share the story and some pics of your sheep hunt! :excited: :cool:

I read it when you emailed it out several years ago...but I'm sure everybody would love to it!

#10 Ā·
Sightsee...please share the story and some pics of your sheep hunt! :excited: :cool:

I read it when you emailed it out several years ago...but I'm sure everybody would love to it!
Ok, if you insist. I'm kinda shy. Give me a few days, its not that easy to upload all the info due to the extreme environment I'm living in.
I love everybody's contributions, this is what its all about, fun in the woods and enjoying the adventure. In time with the right amount effort, timing, persistence and faith a shot will come.
Get those cameras taking pictures for our thread.:flag2:

#11 Ā·
First season with trad gear... congrats! I wish you the best of luck, there's something about knowing your going to get a shot with stickbow that's so addicting. And be sure to show us a kill if you happen to pull it off.

#19 Ā·
Brackenbury Quest..

Bill...is that the HTDC clothing system your wearing, how does it hold up in the mountains under adverse comditions? You buy it or one of your sponsors supply it?

Let's see successful hunt pics from the trad guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We don't kill much, just do it to feel elite! LOL

#13 Ā·
Great seeing all those bow's. I had a bow years ago. By the time I admitted to myself I didn't have what it takes to hunt with a bow and quit, there was no such thing as a compound bow. Had a 54" Herter Sitka Mag, it was beautiful! used cedar arrows with it.

#15 Ā·
Love the Brothers of the Bow. Sliverpicker and I ran into them a few years back. I have a few signed books and videos too.

These guys get it!:applause:

BU

#21 Ā·
An another.

Some entertaining field photos you should enjoy.

An another.

My favorite game cam pic.

A small 3 year old 5x5 I called in five times, gave me some great enjoyment.

#22 Ā·
What are some of your favorite field photos?

Another early season on the coast.

And here is some serious eye candy and yes they are all Roosy and in one month.

#24 Ā·
A little video from RMEF with the melody of lots and lots and lots of bugling. I soon found myself in the woods. Enjoy and don't blame me if you can't concentrate at work.

#27 Ā·
I invite y'all to come to the P&Y Shoot in Brownsville July 25th weekend! It's our year to set up....and Walt's food Saturday night is to die for!

You never know who will grab you and show pics for an hour....

Bro-in-law shooting

http://www.taoregon.com/pyf14.pdf

BU

#29 Ā·
A bow wood question. I have access to a very old and large Myrtle that has some nice limbs anywhere from 4" -6" in diameter. I have heard that Myrtle has been used by a few people in making a self bow but that it isn't commonly used. Anyone one with experience with this wood? I'm going to go ahead and cut a couple of limbs and have them start curing for a selfbow.

Most timber companies consider Myrtle to be a weed and I have never seen one this large. I would think that if Vine Maple can be used in making a bow that Myrtle should work.

#32 Ā·
Good pics! The native Americans seemed to feed themselves and survive by those wooden bows just fine for thousands of years which is pretty amazing when you think about it. One of these days when I "grow up" I'll have to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 Ā·
No time like the present to start, life is way too short!

Here is my obligatory bow/bull rub photo taken in the Starkey Unit in 2010. The bow is a 60", 55# draw that I made in 1992.
Your bow looks alot like my Brackenbury Drifter I bought in 1986. Nice pic, thanks for sharing!

Probably only flyfish too? :wink:
Only when I use my Orvis bamboo rod. :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.