Anybody have any Info On the Lost Gales Creek Mine - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

Default Anybody have any Info On the Lost Gales Creek Mine

Do any of you oldtimers have anything to add about the lost gales creek mine. I am having trouble finding details and info about this and would appreciate any info...

The Tillamook Indians Lost Gold Mine

Where: Oregon Coast Range

When: 1850-1900 (Store reports below)

Evidence/stories:

1) Gales Creek traders would get payment in gold nuggets from local Indians.
2) A store east of Forest Grove owned by Colonel T.H. Cornelius would receive payment in practically pure gold for credit given to the Indians. The Indians would disappear into the hills for a few days than reappear to pay their account.
3) The settlers would try to follow the Indians into the hills but the Indians would loose the settlers west of Gales Creek.
4) A white prospector was able to surprise an Indian and his son carrying a heavy load of gold dust from the mine. The prospector murdered the Indian and his son. Another Indian who worked in the mine was murdered in a Saloon brawl this lead to the thinking that the mine was cursed by evil spirits this left the Indians with a fear of the mine.
5) An old Indian woman was ill and being cared for by a white lady when she revealed that it was the ill woman’s husband and son who had been killed by the prospector. The Indian woman was poor and wanted to pay the nurse, so she wrote the directions down and asked her nephew to go to the mine and bring back some gold to pay the nurse. The old lady’s nephew did not go to the mine.
6) Along a creek on the West Tualatin Plains, Indians would camp on Sol Emericks 160 acre farm. Sol was able to obtain some of the big nuggets and had them made into rings for his wife and himself. One day one of Emericks old friends was dieing and she gave Emerick directions: “Where water runs into a lake in a black canyon, you will find it.”
7) Panning on the coast has produced gold along the Nehalem River.

wilsonriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Re: Anybody have any Info On the Lost Gales Creek Mine

I used to be intrigued by the story when young and read a couple of books with much of the information you listed here. The only thing I can add is that it is supposed to be in a deep, dark canyon with a waterfall. Doesn't say what part of the canyon or how it relates to the waterfall. With all the erosion that has taken place as a result of the big burns, I'd guess it's probably all covered up with sediment or ??? Way back, when the indians described the place, virtually all the canyons looked deep and dark because of the trees and the waterfall could be two feet high or fifty feet high. The distance from the waterfall could be ten feet or ten miles.... We also don't know if the spot is upstream or downstream from the waterfall.

I think the only way to effectively search for it is with a very sensetive metal detector that can go through a few feet/yards of dirt and rock.

If I was actually going to look for it I'd begin on upper Gales Creek, Drift Creek, Scoggins Creek and their tiny tributaries. I would concentrate in places where it is steep and runoff is very fast so as to have eaten through any sedimentation that may have come down the stream or off the hillsides. Places where bedrock is close to the surface. Some of these streams may have sediment fifty feet thick that wasn't there before the fires.

How about the stage robbery and the strong box full of gold and silver??? That has never been found either......
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
12pulls
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I used to be intrigued by the story when young and read a couple of books with much of the information you listed here. The only thing I can add is that it is supposed to be in a deep, dark canyon with a waterfall. Doesn't say what part of the canyon or how it relates to the waterfall. With all the erosion that has taken place as a result of the big burns, I'd guess it's probably all covered up with sediment or ??? Way back, when the indians described the place, virtually all the canyons looked deep and dark because of the trees and the waterfall could be two feet high or fifty feet high. The distance from the waterfall could be ten feet or ten miles.... We also don't know if the spot is upstream or downstream from the waterfall..
I looked into it also when I lived in Gales Creek over twenty years ago. Pretty much think of it now as a legend. I ended up being more interested in the meteorite fragments that are found in the GC Valley. Those can still be found.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

explain please sounds interesting

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pulls View Post
I ended up being more interested in the meteorite fragments that are found in the GC Valley. Those can still be found.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
nehalemguy
Sturgeon

I have a very recent but unverified report from a local rock hound that Wolf Creek (upper Nehalem watershed) has produced gold in the recent past. Gales Creek is but a short hop over the ridge to the south.

Anyone else?

E
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
SILVERSINK
Tuna!

sounds like University Falls, dark canyon--falls but no lake
SILVERSINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The Salmonberry and Kilchis aren't out of the question either.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:27 AM   #8
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Pan Gails Creek and see if you can find gold, than work your way up river till you can't find it any more. Work the tribs - bla bla bla
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 AM   #9
INSAYN
Chromer

Have detectors, will hunt.

When are we going?

Around University falls sounds like a reasonable location to kill some time at.

How about back in the Ceder Canyon area outside of Banks?

Or the quarry that is just off Gales Creek Highway just out of Forest Grove?

Last edited by INSAYN; 01-05-2009 at 05:13 AM.
INSAYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I would think University Falls has ben looked at a thousand times by now. Ya need to try a little harder than that. Probably need to get a long ways from any road and put some real work into getting in to spots.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
TEC
Steelhead

I think I would start with looking a topographical and satellite maps to define area's of interest to be researched/explored.
TEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
SHLEPROCK
Chromer

A few years ago I was looking at satellite images and seen some curious formations west of Hagg Lake.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
INSAYN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
I think I would start with looking a topographical and satellite maps to define area's of interest to be researched/explored.
Good point.

Even this Terrain view on Google Maps show some canyons that may be of interest.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...48473&t=p&z=12
Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
TEC
Steelhead

I can't remember the specific details, but once you find an area of interest and want to do some testing. The old time prospectors would look for a certain grade/slope/drop and substrate type in creeks that act as natural sluice's. Shouldn't be to hard to find that info and it will save you a lot of time and effort.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
TEC
Steelhead

I don't know if there is any truth to this story, but if there is you might be wasting your time.

Look about halfway down this page.

http://www.goldgold.com/stories/historyofsorts.htm
Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Thanks TEC. Good stuff.....
Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
INSAYN
Chromer

Thanks TEC that gets me digging harder now.

So, with some new naming conventions, I came up with this. Possibly another version of the Indian Gold Mine?

3rd line item down. http://www.therockerbox.com/tillamook_county_or_lost_treasures.htm
Click on the Map. And the I go looking on Google Maps Terrain maps for better view.

Now one item noted from previous post above, was that there was something said about a creek spilling or running into a lake. In the panned out map below shows the southern tip of Tillamook area, Edwards Butte and Skookum Lake. I'm interested to know now if there are any falls upstream of this lake?
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=45.384466,-123.718071&spn=0.083914,0.217667&t=p&z=13

More interesting info on the story. Unfortunately it brings our search to an abrupt end for the time being. Property owner doesn't want anyone on the property digging around. Bummer!
http://books.google.com/books?id=2dZ...sult#PPA112,M1

Last edited by INSAYN; 01-05-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #18
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon

Fishing in Skookum lake is excellent, but it is all trespassing

I would guess the lost gold mine between Edwards Butte and Tillamook is up gold creek off the Trask. Back in the 80's a guy set up a gold mining operation off one of the spur roads to the left up the tree farm. I remember a long sluice coming out of the mountain and a guy working it for like a year or so. Dont know how much he got, but he was there quite a while.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Wow! The link to private property sort of ruins the whole adventure. That also puts it farther east than most folks probably looked.

Growing up in Forest Grove, I remember my mother saying the name, Watrous, many times.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #20
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Got to thinking about the private property thing. Really narrows down the search. That puts it somewhere between the Timber Freeway and Round Top Mountain. Probably closer to the freeway than the mountain. Up some fork of Bear Creek maybe???

We have to consider all the hunting and logging that has gone on in the area over the last hundred years. It has to be somewhere that didn't grant access to these activities either through the sheer ruggedness of the country or private property guarding it. Some elk hunter should have found it by now if the public had access.

My previous best guess was just down the western slope of the summit, west of Storey Burn Road between the Wilson River summit and Round Top. Now I'd have to say that is at least 5 miles too far west.

We still can't totally forget the country SW of the town of Gales Creek or the South Fork of Gales Creek. I don't think it could be any farther west than the South Fork on that side of the highway.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #21
oregun8
Steelhead

I have been following this thread. This is what I know and it's not much. When I was a kid my dad use to take my sisters and I out looking for rocks. Below Gales Creek CG we use to find a lot of Iron Pyrite. I mean big nuggets maybe 2" to 3" size.

All over the area we would find quartz. My dad always said the geology wasn't right for gold in this area. I figured he knew what he was talking about since he was a Smoke Jumper in the Cave Junction area. And had lots of miner contacts down that way.

I heard the stories about the lost mine and always wrote them off because of what my dad told me. It would help to know if we are talking placer deposits or hard rock. The story speaks of gold dust which leads me to believe placer. Then again it mentions large nuggets which could be either. It would be nice to here from a geologist to get their point of view.

If I were inclined to look I would pan for color starting at the CG and work the drainages up. I really can't think of one inch of that country that hasn't been logged at one time or another. It wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken. Don't tell my Wife!
oregun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #22
Seansquatch
Chromer

I live a short walk from gales creek and have spent many hours exploring and fishing this area and have heard this story many times from some of the old timers out here. Never seen any gold but ill keep a eye out. Amazing posts by the way guys really enjoyed reading this. Also i have found alot of big chunks of quartz exploring some of the old quarries on Stimpson land behind my house. Gold often occurs around quartz doesn't it?

Last edited by Seansquatch; 01-06-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Seansquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #23
kilchisfisher
Ifish Nate

Ain't no lost gold mine. Ain't no gold, so ya stays out o' the wuds round this'n 'ere parts, ifn't ya knows what's good fer ya.

By the way, does anyone know which side of my Mercedes should be facing the wind when it is parked outside? Normally Maxwell parks all my cars down in the garage, but the new 36 foot TUNA! boat took the spot. It's only a 16 car garage so I thought it'd be best to to leave my six year old kids second best car out for the night. Hate to get it wet but you know how it is. We all need to make sacrifices during tough times.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

From the book accounts, the gold is not in a stream. Maybe close but on dry land.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #25
Fish Killer
Chromer

This a great thread. If I could only look at one area, I would look around Skookum Lake. This is the watershed for Tillamook, thus, regular citizens are not allowed to enter. Which would explain why the gold has not been fould and people asked to leave.

http://www.tillamookor.gov/departments/water.html
Fish Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 AM   #26
oregun8
Steelhead

Wouldn't it have been closer for the indians to take the gold to a settlement on the coast if it came from around Skookum lake. I don't know myself, but it just seems logical that it would have been the easier route. If so we would see accounts of them doing there trading in Tillamook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Killer View Post
This a great thread. If I could only look at one area, I would look around Skookum Lake. This is the watershed for Tillamook, thus, regular citizens are not allowed to enter. Which would explain why the gold has not been fould and people asked to leave.

http://www.tillamookor.gov/departments/water.html
Old 01-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #27
oregun8
Steelhead

Interesting side note. I believe Skookum loosely translates into mountain devil or Bigfoot. The plot thickens
Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 AM   #28
INSAYN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregun8 View Post
Interesting side note. I believe Skookum loosely translates into mountain devil or Bigfoot. The plot thickens

Yikes! Your right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skookum

Now we're getting somewhere.

How about this?
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showp...16&postcount=3

Last edited by INSAYN; 01-07-2009 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 AM   #29
INSAYN
Chromer

More digging.....

http://www.oregongeology.org/sub/mlr...et07-01-08.xls

Look through the Tillamook County listings, and you find one (#2920) that states gold as the Primary Commodity.

So you punch in the GPS coordinates and it puts you a few miles centered north of Rodgers Peak, and Larch Mountain and just above the Salmonberry River.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=11&iwloc=addr

Last edited by INSAYN; 01-07-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #30
INSAYN
Chromer

More interesting info.

http://gesswhoto.com/centennial-gold-page2.html

*Snip*
Quote:
Gold has also been found at the head of the Clackamas river in Clackamas County, at the head of the Nehalem river in Tillamook County, on the Chewaucan mountain in Lake County, and gold, silver and lead have been found in the Cascade Range on the headwaters of the North Santiam river in Marion County. The most beautiful specimens of wire - natural wire gold, in the world is found in these last named mines.

This map below shows roughly where the head of the Nehalem River is.
Note what is a few miles to the direct west of this location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=15&iwloc=addr
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #31
INSAYN
Chromer

Reading through this book page, there is reference made about Roundtop Mountain.
http://books.google.com/books?id=2dZ...sult#PPA105,M1

It's the same general area as where Nelahalem river starts, and where that documented gold mine GPS coordinates in Tilly County put you.
I'm thinking less around the Skookum Lake area, and more in the area 2 miles west of Timber.
Timber alone is a creepy town. Strange folks in that area!

Last edited by INSAYN; 01-07-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #32
oregun8
Steelhead

That could be an easy follow up. Dennis Doan lives over by my son according to the info you put out. I still have my doubts whether or, not that is gold producing country. All of that country has been logged at one time or another. You would think with all the logging camps that were around there someone would have tried to find color.

I use to hunt very close to the spot on the map before I deployed. It wouldn't take much to carry a pan with me the next time I go scouting. I know where to find gold in both eastern and southern Oregon. It sure would be nice to find a recreational mining spot close to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSAYN View Post
More digging.....

http://www.oregongeology.org/sub/mlr...et07-01-08.xls

Look through the Tillamook County listings, and you find one (#2920) that states gold as the Primary Commodity.

So you punch in the GPS coordinates and it puts you a few miles centered north of Rodgers Peak, and Larch Mountain and just above the Salmonberry River.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=11&iwloc=addr
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #33
oregun8
Steelhead

Go man Go! Now your right in my old hunting area. Look for Wheeler Pond, that is the head of one of the arms of the Salmon Berry. And it is a Hell whole off of Cochren RD. The head of the Nehalem is not so easy. That whole mountain above Cochren drains down both to the Nahalem and the Salmon Berry.

Quote:
Reading through this book page, there is reference made about Roundtop Mountain.
http://books.google.com/books?id=2dZ...sult#PPA105,M1

It's the same general area as where Nelahalem river starts, and where that documented gold mine GPS coordinates in Tilly County put you.
I'm thinking less around the Skookum Lake area, and more in the area 2 miles west of Timber.
Timber alone is a creepy town. Strange folks in that area!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #34
INSAYN
Chromer

Quote:
Go man Go!
The part about private property gives me the willies.

Now the Wheeler Pond part. I wonder if that is the reference of "small lake?

Last edited by INSAYN; 01-07-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:40 AM   #35
oregun8
Steelhead

No worries in the area you are talkin about. It either belongs to the Timber companies or is state forest/ BLM. The only private plots are when you get close to Timber. Very easy to tell on a map.

Quote:
The part about private property gives me the willies.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #36
INSAYN
Chromer

Take a looky at this part of the map. Can you see the blue item in the center of the image? If so, zoom out and see where this is.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.003398&z=19
Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #37
INSAYN
Chromer

Okay now I have an idea!

Ever heard of Henry Rierson Spruce Run Campground?
Get this! My wife's G-ma owns alot of property in the Vine Maple area north of Hwy 26 heading to Jewel. When her first hubby died, she remarried to Julius Rierson. Henry was Julius's brother. My wife's uncle has been handed the original Rierson Homestead (est.1861) south of Hwy 26 on your way to the campground. Seen in below link.

Julius is still alive and has lived on that homestead all his life until he moved Vine Maple. I may have to give him a visit and pick his brain. he is in his 90's and still kicking. He might know some stuff.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.013593&z=17
Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #38
oregun8
Steelhead

I see the dot your talking about. I don't think it is anything of importance. It is on a shadow, looks like some kind of light related anomaly. Maybe a camper? I have been at that intersection hundreds of times. If you pull back you can see that entire area has been logged to death. I think it is at least the second if not third time it has been logged since the time of the legend.

Quote:
Take a looky at this part of the map. Can you see the blue item in the center of the image? If so, zoom out and see where this is.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 AM   #39
oregun8
Steelhead

That is the best place to gain knowlege. I use to go to the diners around Manning for breakfast just so I could hear the local loggers chat about what was going on in the woods.

My dad use to take me to the North Fork of the Salmon berry by hikng down a railroad track that had a tunnel you went threw. It has been such a long time it's hard to rememember the way. I think we turned off of HWY 26 onto Quartz creek rd just before the big bridge before the Elderberry Inn.

These are all areas I plan on scouting for Elk this next year. I guess I will be taking a pan with me. If you see that I Ihave traded in my boat for a new model you can assume I found the mine LOL.

Quote:
Okay now I have an idea!

Ever heard of Henry Rierson Spruce Run Campground?
Get this! My wife's G-ma owns alot of property in the Vine Maple area north of Hwy 26 heading to Jewel. When her first hubby died, she remarried to Julius Rierson. Henry was Julius's brother. My wife's uncle has been handed the original Rierson Homestead (est.1861) south of Hwy 26 on your way to the campground. Seen in below link.

Julius is still alive and has lived on that homestead all his life until he moved Vine Maple. I may have to give him a visit and pick his brain. he is in his 90's and still kicking. He might know some stuff.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.013593&z=17
Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #40
puddles
Chromer

its probably blue tarp.hunters have been camping there for a long long time.
that other link with the A on the map,just off the north fork salmonberry rd.is at a place where i always called the waterfall.its where a culvert goes under the road and spills onto an area of big boulders as it rus done a steep hill and if the water is running good looks like a waterfall of sorts ,nothing spectacular,but i always called it a waterfall.
puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #41
Smoked Salmon
King Salmon

Quote:

FYI - That is a blue tarp that a hunter hung over his campground.

It really, really helps to have driven all those roads.

Last edited by Smoked Salmon; 01-07-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Heh - ninja'd
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #42
puddles
Chromer

I believe wheeler pond is no longer there.some years back i was told they blew up the dam.it wasnt to far down stream along cochran rd from the intersection with ellis.i've never gone and looked but know someone who has.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #43
oregun8
Steelhead

There is a pond there, but it is over grown. The one I am thinking of is closer to the intersection by the old rock quarry just on the other side of the tracks that parallel Cochran. I have only been in there once since my return from Afghanistan. I was a little turned around because they clear cut a big area and it looked way different.

If the stories are correct I think that area or just on th other side of the hill past that same rock quarry would be a good bet.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #44
Don Becker
King Salmon

I have not really studied the posts re Wheeler Pond nor the maps - - 'just quickly scanned. So, forgive me if I'm wrong here. I do think Wheeler Pond does not exist any more. And, I think some of you may be confusing it with/referring to Cochran Mill Pond which, as far as I know (maybe 5 years ago) is still there just a little ways down the tracks from Cochran. Don

Don Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #45
hawgcatcher
Tuna!

About 15 years ago, I talked to a family that was on Gales Creek and mentioned the gold that the Indians supposedly had. They said that every summer, a teacher (geology) would take off up the hill from their place and prospect all summer. He would often drop by for supplies then leave his car at their place and head back up. He showed them some vials of gold that he had found and he supposedly made enough to live through the rest of the year. I was always going to try it but the years came and went and I never got up in those hills.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #46
oregun8
Steelhead

I stand corrected then. Thanks for pointing it out. So was Wheeler pond where Wheeler and Ellis come together? If so it has been gone ever since I started hunting that area back in the 90s. I know that up stream from that point there use to be a railroad bed running down the canyon. I came across it casing elk one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Becker View Post
I have not really studied the posts re Wheeler Pond nor the maps - - 'just quickly scanned. So, forgive me if I'm wrong here. I do think Wheeler Pond does not exist any more. And, I think some of you may be confusing it with/referring to Cochran Mill Pond which, as far as I know (maybe 5 years ago) is still there just a little ways down the tracks from Cochran. Don
Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #47
Waterfish
Ifish Nate

The Palomar Gas Transmission line project is proposing to go right through Gales Creek. Here is a link to the maps of the route on their web site:

http://www.palomargas.com/map.html

On the map page, you can zoom in the the Gales Creek part of the map by entering "Gales Creek" into the edit/find tool icon.

This makes me wonder; does Palomar know about the lost mine? Will their route uncover something? If their excavation discovers gold, will they own the mineral rights since they will own the right-of-way? Was their choice to excavate a big gas line through Gales Creek just a coincidence? Hummm???
Old 01-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #48
Don Becker
King Salmon

Quote:
I stand corrected then. Thanks for pointing it out. So was Wheeler pond where Wheeler and Ellis come together? If so it has been gone ever since I started hunting that area back in the 90s. I know that up stream from that point there use to be a railroad bed running down the canyon. I came across it casing elk one year.
I'm drawing a blank on Ellis. I'll try to take some time this evening and see what I can find on my maps at home. Long ago, I spent several hours looking for Wheeler Pond and I was pretty certain I had located where it had been. Don

Old 01-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #49
puddles
Chromer

don,i have noticed using google earth that they dont have all the roads named the way they are named now.ellis is not on there as are some others.they have wheeler pond road going all over the place!!

oregun8 yes it was near where ellis and cochran meet just down stream a bit.although i think google maps doesnt call it cochran,but wheeler pond rd.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #50
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

Back in my dirt biking days we used to ride around edwards butte and found The Bumble Bee mining claim it was between skookum lake and gold creek I think it was a spur off old crow road no lake or waterfall .

Last edited by weirdbeard; 01-07-2009 at 03:07 PM.
weirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #51
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!

im thinking carpenter creek
salmonsteelheadsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #52
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsteelheadsam View Post
im thinking carpenter creek
or that river off lee road out in cherry grove pretty much off limits ive heard of some really crazy canyons and falls way upriver close to fg and not that far from gales creek
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #53
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsteelheadsam View Post
or that river off lee road out in cherry grove pretty much off limits ive heard of some really crazy canyons and falls way upriver close to fg and not that far from gales creek
imm thinking it wasnt gales creek related at all
Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #54
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

with all this new added info I think I know were I will go and start looking now.. I am going to bring a gold pan and try to find something...
Old 01-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #55
Seansquatch
Chromer

http://books.google.com/books?id=2dZ...sult#PPA111,M1
The bottom of page 111 and the top of page 112 give the best discription of were it might be i have seen.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #56
Don Becker
King Salmon

Quote:
Maybe this will help:

Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #57
Joe Schwab

I started working and hunting that area in 1970. There were still old trestles from the logging RRs. Wheeler pond was gone but the shoreline was still visibile. Cochran Road or what was commonly called Wheeler Pond Rd. paralleled much of it to where it meets Salmonberry Rd. All that is now second growth was clear cut and what is now clear cut was heavy timber and brush.

Never did hear of any gold mine however. And there were a few old squatters living up there at that time.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #58
Don Becker
King Salmon

My history with those areas goes back to the early 60's and I remember the old trestles, roadbeds and even some track very well. My father-in-law drove log trucks over many of those old trestles (can you imagine?) way back when they were reclaiming timber after the burns (1933 - 1951). Don

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #59
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Salmonsteelheadsam:

You are right about the Gales Creek connection. We have to condiser the amount of time it took to get to other watersheds. If the evidence is correct, deep dark canyon with a waterfall/small lake, the mine has nothing to do with the water. The exact location is somewhere in the canyon with these features and not in the streambed. It is more than likely not a placer mine.

Your mention of Carpenter Creek is interesting but I think it is too far south. I've walked to the very end of it and there are no geological features I found interesting. I also thought of Roaring Creek but again, too far south.

Has anyone investigated if places like Wheeler Pond etc are man-made? If a pond is indeed part of equasion, it could be something as simple as a beaver pond for which there would be no evidence of today. It would be nothing more than a small flat spot in a canyon bottom.

The gelogical feature I would be most interested in is exposed basalt. Like the base of a steep wall. Much of the rock in the coast range is sedimentary rock (old sea bed) and the gold is not in this stuff.

We need to look at how much time the indians took to recover the gold. They would disappear for X amount of time and reappear with the gold. How far could they travel in a day? Did they have horses? How long did it take to walk in? How long did it take to recover the gold? How long did it take to walk out? If they were gone for 3/4 days, they weren't going very far. The time element rules out a lot of territory.

I don't think access to the spot was that difficult back when the woods were nothing more than very large trees. It would be some place where someone would have easy foot access and would naturally walk even if just out exploring. I don't think the indians would have found the spot if it were not easy to reach. They just wouldn't go there. They weren't recreational hikers.

Food for thought.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #60
fishboys
Sturgeon

When doing your figuring on how long it would take an american indian to go X miles remember it would only take a mountian goat a hour to climb certian mountians that might take a fat guy a week.