IFish Fishing Forum banner

Sandy Smelt?

19K views 56 replies 35 participants last post by  straightweave 
#1 Ā·
Today was the start of smelt dipping on the Sandy. Anybody go by to take a look?

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife announced smelt fishing will be open on the Sandy River on Saturdays only March 1 - March 22 from 6 a.m. to noon. Fishing will be restricted to dip nets from the bank with a bag limit of 10 pounds per angler per day, with no more than one dayā€™s limit in possession.

#3 Ā·
Stopped at my uncle's house across from Lewis & Clark Ramp. I watched for about 5 minutes and saw no fish, he fishes nearly every morning and has not seen any. Smelt in the Sandy are a complete crap shoot. There have been numerous years when there have been great runs on the Cow and Lewis, and the Sandy was a complete bust.

#5 Ā·
A few friends and I went dipping up on the Cowletz yesterday and limited in about 15 minutes. Since we had all the gear in the truck, we decided to check out the Sandy on the way home. There was nothing showing at the Halsey bridge, Lewis & Clark, or the airport. We watched some other folks actually dipping but there were no Smelt. Maybe next Saturday :)

"CL"

#6 Ā·
Good report!
Thank you CombinationLicense.

#9 Ā·
Didn't the OP say it's open beginning March 1 ?

jz

#19 Ā·
Got a report this morning from a friend that lives just upstream from the Troutdale bridge.............

No little bugger's yet...................

#26 Ā·
That last picture of the Smelt on the Cowlitz was right on the button, they are twice as thick as they were on Saturday, word is that we might get another crack at them Saturday, Meeting tomorrow will decide! Got a feeling a mess of them will appear in the Sandy very soon!

#28 Ā·
What's the word today, anybody watching..............

....or could you even see them as I suspect the water clarity is diminishing pretty quickly today with all this rain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.