IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to rig a sand shrimp tail on a jig.

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Intruder 
#1 ·
Here is how I rig a sand shrimp tail on my jigs. Salmon & steelhead love a fresh tail with a drop of scent applied. My favorite scent to use is Tillamook Bait's shrimp/anise.

Shown is a picture of a whole sand shrimp. I like to use only the tail portion of a sand shrimp when fishing with jigs. To begin, separate the tail portion from the body.

Take the tail portion of a sand shrimp and insert your jig hook into the end that was originally attached to the body as shown.

Turn sand shrimp over and insert hook into bottom side of shrimp tail.

To ensure the tail will remain intact on the jig, turn the tail over once more and insert hook through the top side of the tail again.

When you are finished the tail should curl around the jig hook as shown. When applied on our jigs, the feathers flow over and around the tail. I like using a shrimp tail on my jigs year-round. In low, clear water conditions, use a smaller size tail.

If you have a firm shrimp tail and secure it to the jig like I mentioned above it takes a little bit of effort for the fish to pull it off. Many times a fish will nip at the tail a couple times before finally committing to it. Remember this when your float starts to wiggle.

Mark

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.