IFish Fishing Forum banner

22 ammo hoarding ?

11K views 43 replies 37 participants last post by  Keta 
#1 ·
so whats the big deal with all the 22 lr ammo ? here around the tricities its all been gone for quite a while. theres still some of the higher end stuff but not much, when all this panik buying stuff started i would go by the gun dept and see tons of bricks laying around for a good price, and 9mm all over the place. so i thought i would get some bricks and go shooting , bingo all gone , so i guess the scare of a higher tax was the cause of that. so my buddy gets a xd 40 subcompact which i thought was pretty sweet, as i dont have any small handguns that carry well so i got 9mm sub.and of course no ammo . all i wanted to do was shoot my new gun lol. but now the 9 stuff is trickling in . but we still dont have any 22 . maybe they stopped making it in favor of the other popular ammo...

#2 ·
Right now people buy as much as they can when they find it keeping the supply tight.

Some ammo is starting to show up, I saw a few hundred 30rd AR mags in a store and some shops are advertising AR-15s in stock....but at ridiculously high prices. Shotguns and shotgun shells are in good supply.

#3 ·
It will be a while before people figure out that all of our guns and ammo are not going to be banned even though some specific firearms might be. I find it funny that people are paying so much for 22lr.

I'm glad I bought my bricks when they were 8.99 for 525 and even after the last big scare I had yet to pay more than 15.99. Since I have about 6k of 22 anybody want to buy some?

I'll sell it for .22 each round. :)

#5 ·
Its pretty bad around here. A friend of mine waited 1.5 hours at Wal-mart for there ammo to arrive. They had 10 boxes of .22 in that order, with a 3 box maximum. He bought 3 boxes, they sold out within 5 minutes. I called bi-mart to check there ammo order, and yesterday they received 4 boxes of .41 mag ammo, and some 12Ga. Some stores are saying July is when there ammo shipments will start getting bigger!

#6 ·
Unfortunately I think greed is a huge player in this, look at all of the ammo and guns for sale at inflated prices on the gun auction sites, many people are buying just to make some $$ not for use. The .22 shortage is completely rediculouse, it isn't affected at all by any of the "gun ban" talk.

#8 ·
I heard ammo manufacturers are spooled up making more expensive rounds because there's a demand for them. 22 has taken a back seat, and thus, have become scarce.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
Manufacturers will not gear up for these spikes in ammo buying. They are working at capacity and once things settle down (like they did after the 2008 election) things will ease up. They only have so much equipment online. I would not go out and invest who knows (millions) to keep up with the craze when in a few months demand will be back down. Remember the toilet paper shortage?

#10 ·
The factories order so much powder, so much brass, and so many bullets a year in advance for what they think the market is going to need. They are alway guessing for next year's market.

So when something like the panic buying happens, they are caught with only the bulk stock for what that had planned to use from last year. Now, they are playing catch-up, and still trying to plan for next years production.

Then you factor in the re-tooling for each caliber....for each lot.

Nobody keeps mountains of raw material, its all ordered in.-WW

#33 ·
i believe it was the nra using him as their we need our big contributors to make more money/the sky is falling:twocents: as they contiually call asking for money and laying out some fear mongering

#17 ·
We are seeing an extreme shift in the demand for ammo. One underlying cause is the increased sales of firearms; however, this is rooted, along with the ammo shortage, too in the real problem- people are irrationally responding in fear to potential gun legislation.

People are hoarding ammo. They are buying all they can and whenever they can. This is placing a major social strain on us individuals who want to acquire our normal quantity of ammo.

Like it, or not, the only way to fix this problem is to substantially raise the price of ammo to the point where people are no longer capable of buying quantities that are greater than their actual personal utitility.

Unfortunately, no manufacture or retail wants to be accused of "price gauging" so they will not raise prices, and instead do their best to increase the quantity they supply to the market. They will increase their production times, hire new labor shifts, ext. We might even see an increase in supply, like what has already been rumored that Federal has baught a European manufacturer and is off-shoring them to the US. All of the attempts by the suppliers to meet the current, irrational, demand will only lead to future problems, eg layoffs and surpluses of component inputs, in the market when we see the inevitable shift to a decrease in demand.

So how long do we have to wait until we can get shells? When will the hoarders wake up and realize they have more cartridges in storage than they have used in the last decade? When will people rationalize and determine that they way over exceeding the law of diminishing marginal utility? When will they realize that their money, hopefully not their credit, is better spent on other things or better yet not spent at all and sitting in the savings account?

I don't know. I just hope it all settles out before my new .06 gets here.

#18 ·
I have a friend selling 500 rd bricks of .22 on an auction site......for.....$75 a brick, not including shipping. No kiddin'. When this got weird a few years back the 2nd time (first time was when the original AWB showed up), you also had the Israelis vs. Hamas fight going on, plus you had China buying every scrap of every type of metal.....that dam they were building, the Olympics, their crazy growth, the whole thing drove ammo sky high. Now its all fear based. Times like these will come and go.

G

#21 ·
I hoard no mater who is in the White House, I just keep a good supply all the time for times like this . When things get back to normal I'll restock my supplies.

#25 ·
I think only about 10% of the hoarders are motivated by resale for profit. I am a hoarder. :doh: A bad one. I have more ammp than I need for the rest of my life but the political games scare me. I also hope my hoard is passed on to my grandsons who may find it even more difficult to find ammo and to own firearms. A big part of my hoarding is driven by leaving a legacy for my grandsons.

#38 ·
You mean to tell me you haven't shot my (your) Marlin yet?

PM your addy, I'll change that!

P

#27 ·
I'm a hoarder. Here is why....

Back in the 90s, some politicians with a less than rosey view on the firearms business made comments about primers getting a shelf life. There was a HUGE run on all ammo and reloading components.

I got left out in the cold on small rifle primers. Being a benchrest guy, that kinda killed me for a month. It was my hobby. So for about 5 weeks. It's kinda tough to compete in a shooting match without ammo.

After that, instead of buying what I needed for the next month or so, when they came back onto dealers shelves, I bought a couple years worth at once.

I still have stuff left over from back then. When i hear or see folks frustrated about shortages, I am pleased to know I prepared for these days.

Fool me once......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.