IFish Fishing Forum banner

fishing the solar eclipse

6K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  wheatie 
#1 Ā·
I will be fishing B10 August 21st. Whats the thoughts on the eclipse effecting the bite?

I'm curious on all your theories ...

should i troll with tin foil on my head?

Chumrunner

#35 Ā·
Hey Chris,

that looks like a cool combo, can you diagram how you rig that up, I would think the plug on the bottom, 3x3 and the wobbler on top. My concern would be tangles deploying this rig because the plug would want to float and the wobbler sink??

thanks

#8 Ā·
Aren't we going to get a 99% eclipse up on the CR? Not worth dealing with the crowds to see the other 1%.

I think I'll try and see it from out in the ocean. Maybe get that first light tuna bite all the overnight guys talk about for once.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#11 Ā·
It's a 97% eclipse at Buoy 10. So it won't get "dark as night", but it should get darker like a sunrise or sunset.

REMEMBER, YOU CANNOT LOOK AT A PARTIAL ECLIPSE, EVEN AT 97% COVERAGE, WITHOUT ECLIPSE GLASSES!!!

Aren't we going to get a 99% eclipse up on the CR? Not worth dealing with the crowds to see the other 1%.
Sorry, but a 97% (or even 99%) eclipse won't even be 1% of the experience of a total eclipse. We'll be going to Madras that week to get the most out of what is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

#10 Ā·
to the OP, anyone who gives you an answer is full of BS, nobody knows, I think it will have a negative impact, at home, because i'm dead center in it. if i'm home for this, me and the family are going on vacation somewhere the eclipse isn't.

#12 Ā·
That gravity stuff will turn them off every time. Just like earthquakes. Earthly stability is needed for optimum bite! Don't waste your time.

#24 Ā·
I saw the last one. It's cooler than you think Roosevelt. It's a lights - out experience. And then they come back on. It's fun to see the birds and horses freak out.

CW

#28 Ā·
I think you are correct, my mom was telling me about it yesterday.

I have no doubt it will be very cool, I guess I'm just a little sick of media way over hyping things, and really hope it's not as bad as the hype train is saying (crowd wise)

There is always potential for fog on the coast, so I would guess the more hard core people will be off of the beach a bit....hopefully :)

#33 Ā·
I'm kind of on the "meh" side. Like Roosevelt said, "EVERYTHING is a once in a lifetime experience" and should be treated that way. Words to live by!

I went outside and watched the one in 1978. It was cool, but not travel hundreds (thousands?) of miles and spend hundreds (thousands?) of dollars cool.

Mark my word there will be a "that was a BIG disappointment" thread on August 22nd, if not the afternoon of the 21st!!!!

I hope things go well. No fires of huge accidents.

#36 Ā·
It must be a big enough deal that Warren Beatty (allegedly)
took his Learjet to see the last one and Carly Simon wrote a song about it.

Well I hear you went to Saratoga
And your horse, naturally, won
Then you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun
Well, you're where you should be all the time
And when you're not, you're with some underworld spy
Or the wife of a close friend,
Wife of a close friend, and

#37 Ā·
WAY over hyped. Witnessed one before in the south. It gradually gets dimmer, then gradually goes back to bright and sunny. I wouldn't imagine it would affect fishing any more than a dark cloud bank blocking the sunlight and moving thru. I don't get the tourism hype either. You won't need to get away from the populace and get to the highest elevation. Load of marketing BS. If you're in the zone, you'll see it. Like EVERYTHING nowadays, totally overhyped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.