eggs from alaska - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
sliverslinger
King Salmon

Default eggs from alaska

I have a nephew that is going to Alaska to work for the summer and stock up on eggs. What is the best way to get them back down here? Air? He is going to take a bunch of cure up with him and get them ready for shipping. I tried the post office and that was messy.

Happiness is a large gut pile!
sliverslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
iwanttofish
King Salmon

Default Re: eggs from alaska

For that you are going to have to do Alaska air and it will be a little spendy for overnight. Are you going to have him cure them first and ship them?

I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
iwanttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Tillamook Born
Chromer

Freeze solid then overnight ship them to someone that will guarantee them to be home when delivered. Will be spendy, but will be the best option.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
stlhdrgrn
Sturgeon

Frozen raw eggs are worthless eggs.
Cure them first, freeze & then ship. You can then alter (add ingredients) to a batch when u use them.

Last edited by stlhdrgrn; 06-05-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: speeling
stlhdrgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Lanyard X
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhdrgrn View Post
Cure them first, freeze & then ship. You can then alter (add ingredients) to a batch when u use them.
What he said. Once there froze raw you have a big pile of junk!
If you can get your nephew to start the curing prossess while they are soaking or drying have him send them alaska air overnight. I think a freezer box takes 50lbs that way they are not thawing on the way home. Just my
Lanyard X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Wingdam
Tuna!

Quote:

I brought back pounds of eggs from working up there. What we did is cure them in a sodium type cure, seal them in large plastic jars, and ship them back on the plane in the #50 boxes everyone ships fish back in.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
sliverslinger
King Salmon

I am going to have him start curing them while he is up there and then freeze the eggs solid. Just looking for the most effecient way to ship them back down here. Was planning on sending him up a bunch of cure to do it.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
SalmonJeff
Sturgeon

no question have them cured first if at all possible then have them shipped back. like many above have said its not cheap...

If it ain't 40 inches it probably ain't 20 lbs.
SalmonJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
eggzit
Steelhead

Quote:
Not as good as fresh but i wouldnt say worthless. Add some
knox gelitan to a 321 cure or to your sulfite cure and it toughens those eggs right up....i once just used a bunch of straight knox gelitan and it made my previously frozen soft leaky eggs hard. Almost too tough. So firm that they were only good for steelhead.
eggzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
stlhdrgrn
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzit View Post
Not as good as fresh but i wouldnt say worthless. Add some
knox gelitan to a 321 cure or to your sulfite cure and it toughens those eggs right up....i once just used a bunch of straight knox gelitan and it made my previously frozen soft leaky eggs hard. Almost too tough. So firm that they were only good for steelhead.
A little strong opinion I agree.
To be the devels advocate and knowing what freezing fresh egg does to them here's a thought. Because freezing breaks down the membrain from ice cristals puncturing it wouldn't it be benificial for the eggs milking out better. I can see situations where this might be an advantage. Tidewater Salmon fishing the scent trail from Fresh frozen soft eggs should be more than typically cured eggs. They wouldn't last long but might be the ticket sometime to get bit. Another worth, thinking outside the box.
stlhdrgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
fishbait

My is most prior to cure frozen eggs are not worth the trouble to cure.

First remember, pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

you are better off with 20 -30 quarts of good high quality eggs than 800 quarts of junk eggs.

Buy some plastic quart jars and fit them in the 70 lb waterproof boxes that are used, I have a few in the attic if you need one or lots of others should have then sitting around. Get jars and packing material figured out. then send up the jars and more than enough cure. With most good cures, you can let the eggs sit and juice for 3 - 7 days as long as they are cool, so I would not even bother to freeze them if I could prevent it. have him cure X number of jars, pack in a box and ship it out to a direct flight down here. Then go pick up at the airport.

this has worked for me in the past.

Good luck and enjoy the eggs.

BTW: mature Sockeye eggs are absolutely my top pic and if you want some fairly decent cure in trade for a few quarts of good Sockeye eggs, give me a shout.

Member # 287

Mortgage Loan Originator, NMLS # 88726
Direct line 971.250.4510
http://40009.stearnshomeloans.com/st...e.php?id=13040

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by how many times something takes your breath away.

Lifetime member of NW Steelheaders
Proud Member CCA
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
eggzit
Steelhead

i have learned to not be as pickey about eggs. a good cure can work wonders. You can even fix spoiled eggs by soaking them in cold salty water for a few hours...all the spoilage floats to the surface and you can absorb it with a paper towl before you take them out. I just bought a load of guides choice both the sulfite and borax cure and am recuring all of it in a big glass tea jar...i will have good eggs for some time. When amerman sells the eggs like back in 02-04 i will buy those again.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
BigSteelyHead123
Steelhead

Quote:
i have learned to not be as pickey about eggs. a good cure can work wonders. You can even fix spoiled eggs by soaking them in cold salty water for a few hours...all the spoilage floats to the surface and you can absorb it with a paper towl before you take them out. I just bought a load of guides choice both the sulfite and borax cure and am recuring all of it in a big glass tea jar...i will have good eggs for some time. When amerman sells the eggs like back in 02-04 i will buy those again.
Amermans eggs now, are better than any guides choice eggs any day!
BigSteelyHead123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
thedesertdrifter
Steelhead

prefrozen eggs are still better than any store bought eggs IMO. Cure them first before you freeze them is even better even if you can throw a little none Iodized salt on them to toughen them up. I think eggs are eggs for the most part especially for salmon they like sloppy eggs better any way stealhead I think are a little more sight than smell, but what do I know just when I think I have it all figured out I don't.
thedesertdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
eggzit
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteelyHead123 View Post
Amermans eggs now, are better than any guides choice eggs any day!
My name is coby by the way....i guess you have to say that before you rag on a product that is advertised here. Before i found amermans i didnt know what the perfect cured egg was but i knew i would know when i saw it. I remember the day i gave him a call from the add in STS....i was fishing the upper willy behind my house with some eggs i bought from a local fishing shop in Eugene (for the life of me cant remeber the name of the shop...the old guy repaired reels and such) i bought 2lbs of eggs that they cured in Quick Cure....they cured it so light that the eggs werent tough at all and they smelled like they were starting to spoil...after using about a third of one container and got no bites when i knew fish were in the hole i got so ticked i dumped all of the eggs in the river and finaly called amerman....

To make a long story short when i got his eggs i knew just after opening them that these were the best cured salmon eggs i have ever laid my hands on...i started really catching salmon then. Both spring and fall. This continued and i started cureing my own with his cure...i followed the directions EXACTLY and some came out good some so-so but never like the ones that i was sent. When they started selling them at joes it seemed that the quality went down hill...i tried to get him to send me eggs like the ones he sent before but he said they were the same quality just a diff package. Thats when i went back to my own cures and re-curing GC and such. 321 is a really good egg cure for upriver springers and steel...and you can tweak GC for better results. as far as curing my own with a sulfite cure i use TNT or plain procure and add lots of sugar. The Procure video really opened my eyes to eggs/curing. Sugar seems to be important in cures. Dont get me wrong...amerman a fishing wizard but i just have to be honest about where i think the quality of his cured eggs are.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #16
BigSteelyHead123
Steelhead

Quote:
My name is coby by the way....i guess you have to say that before you rag on a product that is advertised here. Before i found amermans i didnt know what the perfect cured egg was but i knew i would know when i saw it. I remember the day i gave him a call from the add in STS....i was fishing the upper willy behind my house with some eggs i bought from a local fishing shop in Eugene (for the life of me cant remeber the name of the shop...the old guy repaired reels and such) i bought 2lbs of eggs that they cured in Quick Cure....they cured it so light that the eggs werent tough at all and they smelled like they were starting to spoil...after using about a third of one container and got no bites when i knew fish were in the hole i got so ticked i dumped all of the eggs in the river and finaly called amerman....

To make a long story short when i got his eggs i knew just after opening them that these were the best cured salmon eggs i have ever laid my hands on...i started really catching salmon then. Both spring and fall. This continued and i started cureing my own with his cure...i followed the directions EXACTLY and some came out good some so-so but never like the ones that i was sent. When they started selling them at joes it seemed that the quality went down hill...i tried to get him to send me eggs like the ones he sent before but he said they were the same quality just a diff package. Thats when i went back to my own cures and re-curing GC and such. 321 is a really good egg cure for upriver springers and steel...and you can tweak GC for better results. as far as curing my own with a sulfite cure i use TNT or plain procure and add lots of sugar. The Procure video really opened my eyes to eggs/curing. Sugar seems to be important in cures. Dont get me wrong...amerman a fishing wizard but i just have to be honest about where i think the quality of his cured eggs are.
How can you tweak GC eggs better than you can Amermans????
Or have you tried tweaking Ameramans since you think GC are better????
Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #17
eggzit
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteelyHead123 View Post
How can you tweak GC eggs better than you can Amermans????
Or have you tried tweaking Ameramans since you think GC are better????
Because i am sure that GC eggs are just a sodium based eggs...so adding sugar, borax, krill powder, wont hurt it. I know amermans is slightly sodium sulfite based but i dont know ANY of the other stuff is in them...i dont think anyone knows. I just follow my nose and ammermans at JOES dint smell right at all....GC smelled like a fresh cured egg...i know what they are cured in, so its a great place to start for "tweaking" them. Just calling it like i see it Or smell it.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
xtremenorthwest
Coho

Ship them 0300 Priority, Get a direct flight to Portland and your eggs will look like these. These are fresh king eggs from Alaska week ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverslinger View Post
I have a nephew that is going to Alaska to work for the summer and stock up on eggs. What is the best way to get them back down here? Air? He is going to take a bunch of cure up with him and get them ready for shipping. I tried the post office and that was messy.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
BigSteelyHead123
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremenorthwest View Post
Ship them 0300 Priority, Get a direct flight to Portland and your eggs will look like these. These are fresh king eggs from Alaska week ago.

WOW those look a whole lot better than them frozen ones!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
Salmon Chaser
Tuna!

Jeez I drooled so bad I flooded my keyboard.. Those look YUMMY.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
chummer
Ifish Nate

He can always box and ship his clothes home standard UPS and bring the eggs home with him as his checked baggage (Frozen & well insulated!)
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #22
flatlander
Chromer

BigSteelhead123;

I'll take 4 quarts please
flatlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #23
sliverslinger
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
BigSteelhead123;

I'll take 4 quarts please
4 qts would only last me a day of fishing. I need about 100 lbs to cover fall season.