IFish Fishing Forum banner

Who Has built a Duck blind?

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  corey4x4man 
#1 ·
I am planning on building a couple blinds out at my lease this year and before i got started I wanted to see what you all have done in the past. I would like to see some pics of different setups. I will be building 3 blinds and would like them to be roomy enough for 3-4 guys and a dog or two. Lets see those pics or plans if you got them. Basic dimensions would be great! Thanks

#2 ·
Bought a welder and constructed doubles with angle iron, each cubicle is 40" deep, 48" wide and 48" high, put a gate style door on one end and used wire mesh on the sides. Put in square seats about 16 high in the corners. Foam naugahyde seats. A small ammo-coffee tray and a hook for hanging stuff. 3/4" plywood floor in each section fits into the angle iron. No roof. Corn it up. Practical. cheap, durable. set on wood blocks. It can be slid into a bed of a truck for moving.
If I did it over again I would put a full ammo tray inside across front.

#5 ·
I've always liked hunting out of blinds that had vertical vee-notches cut out of the piece across the front so you can stand your shotgun up and rest the barrel in it so it doesn't slide to the left or right. Makes for a lot safer blind when shotguns aren't falling on the ground. I've always been partial to half a roof-sloped rearward-with the back and all sides open. Some nicer blinds I've hunted out of had a little dog house blind just outside of the main blind entrance. It keeps the dog outside the blind. The handler sat at the door and could send the dog and accept the retrieve from inside.

#12 · (Edited)
A blind would be great.

I have rarely been in them.

I usually lay on my back in the grass, or just get down low and hold still.

Building a blind means that someone might find the blind and then next time you go out you get snowballed out of the spot.

(This is a call to all to pick up your hulls if you do not wish to telegraph your chosen locations.)

This would be different on Private property though..

G
#18 ·
more of a goose thing but if it is your land pit blinds are awesome. sitting with your eyes at ground level looking out under the "cellar door". the one we used near Baskett slough (sp?) was big enough for four guys and a couple of dogs (dogs came out of a ramp in the back of the blind like rabbits coming out of their hole ha ha"), big door you just stood up and swung back. from outside it only stood up about 6'' with mesh accross the front and sides from the door/roof to the ground. a small puddle of water right in front helped you watch for birds potting by looking at the reflection in the water...kinda like hunting the corn at S Island but you sit under ground away from the wind and rain. Very nice.

#19 ·
I built a really nice blind out of all treated wood a couple of years ago. It was 12' wide x 6' deep. I had it in the mud 3 feet in the ground. The next year I went out to check it out and the tide had come up so high it floated it up out of the ground and dumped it on it's back. It's still sitting there like that.

#24 ·
I know you meant "Drake" and not "Dake", but I am sure you were in a hurry to type that poke at me and my poorly trained dog. I have nothing but high confidence in that boy of your's abilities. I guess you will need to invite me along for some of those poorly shot birds to give a challenge to Drake. I will be able to see his handling progress. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.