IFish Fishing Forum banner

Cheap Trick not inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

14K views 95 replies 47 participants last post by  bigfishaddiction 
#1 ·
I do not know what they want from these guys! One hit wonders are in, but a group that has been playing and touring for 40 years, not nominated. :palm:

#2 ·
Deep Purple had a fair influence in music. I'd say they are deserving.

#3 ·
Their voting / eligibility system makes no sense to me.

-Prince inducted before Lynyrd Skynyrd.
-The Talking Heads before AC/DC.
-Booker T and the M.G.'s before CCR.

The two main criteria are 1.) Having released a record at least 25 years prior to the induction date and 2.) Exhibiting 'musical excellence'.

Viewed this way, the three examples I list (and others) just make me scratch my head.

#11 ·
While I would never willingly listen to Prince and would surely turn up a Skynyrd song, I can almost see why that would happen. Prince is similar to Madonna in ability to transform and morph career/style and harnesses sheer marketing power that would likely broaden their influence base beyond a more niche-type band like Skynyrd, thereby getting prior notice in the HOF nomination process.

Now Rush not being there yet still confounds me...I'm not necessarily a big fan, but their talent, influence, contribution, and staying power is undeniable.

To OP - I am also wondering a bit about Cheap Trick's absence, though Deep Purple is certainly deserving.

To another previous poster, Genesis and Pink Floyd have already been inducted, though Yes also seems deserving and is missing.

#4 ·
Same with Rush and Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk is a tad obscure and I was surprised to see them nominated, but I'd vote Rush and Deep Purple (well ok I voted for Kraftwerk too). It is really a shame that all the progressive rock bands, some of which are still touring, get no attention. Maybe with Rush getting a nod that will change, but great bands like Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP just getting ignored is just as wrong as Cheap Trick.

#26 ·
Same with Rush and Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk is a tad obscure and I was surprised to see them nominated, but I'd vote Rush and Deep Purple (well ok I voted for Kraftwerk too). It is really a shame that all the progressive rock bands, some of which are still touring, get no attention. Maybe with Rush getting a nod that will change, but great bands like Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP just getting ignored is just as wrong as Cheap Trick.
Pink Floyd pioneered the use of synthesizers, you know back when they were the size of tractor trailers? and invented musique concrete a style of music based on recorded natural sounds mixed into orchectral arrangements.

Later they made the same arrangements using synthesized sounds that imitated the natural ones they started with.

Dark side of the moon was in the top 100 albums sold for over 10 years.

I'm not sure what Prince or the artist formerly talented enough to get noticed did exactly. I don't even have one of his tracks in my collection and never will.

Prince got in but PF did not? That burns.

#6 ·
Yeah that!

P

#9 ·
Quick, call the "Dream Police"

Sorry, just had to.:palm:

Unbelievable decisions made by the HOF!:shrug:

BU

#15 ·
Yawn...other than attempt to copy Alice Cooper and ride his coat tails, KISS really had little effect on Rock and Roll in the long run. Their music was mundane enough they needed to depend on appearances to be a hit. My take is that if you don't see how they are dressed and just listen to the music, their music is not deserving of the HOF. To keep the HOF as the premiere venue for music excellence, not every band is deserving to be inducted, even those with a big following and long time list of quality music. It should be only the most influential that get inducted. Though I despise Prince, there is little doubt that his music was and is influential to Rock and Roll. KISS, Cheap Trick, and others may have entertained millions for sure, but that alone isn't worthy to be HOF members.

#20 ·
I aint the only guy watching That Metal Show.:)

#23 ·
#28 ·
I can understand why Cheap Trick didn't get in and I can understand why Prince got in. I don't understand why a band like Pink Floyd hasn't been inducted.

Cheap Trick is a very good band but they never did anything special. They have a few good songs but they never drove pop culture in any way. I'm not a fan of pop culture but a band really needs to make a statement worldwide and have an effect that drives trends. Prince did that, Cheap Trick was just another Rock and Roll band. They have a passionate yet small following.

The Talking Heads definitely deserve their spot. I remember seeing them at the Paramount in Portland when they were just starting. They were definitely different and they made a definite impact on the music world at the time. One of the ways to judge a bands impact with music is the amount of bands that copy the style. Prince and the Talking Heads spawned a plethora of bands imitating their style. Prince changed everything from music to hair styles, clothing, etc... It doesn't matter if you like his music or not, he belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

#32 ·
I thought is was cheesy before they inducted Madonna but after ? Forget it.

And to the guy that said KISS had little impact on Rock and Roll ? Yeah right !

They changed rock n roll - marketing , touring , sound systems , lighting , pyro , songs ( think of Beth and using orchestra on Destroyer , now everyone does it ) they changed the WHOLE industry. The same purist attitude that says KISS is a silly band is the same attitude that inducts these artsy fartsy and pop bands into the RRHF.

KISS was pure rock and roll. Look up KISS at Winterland SF on youtube and tell me they dont rock !

#34 ·
Well we all have opinions huh! Me--I seen Prince-and Talking Heads twice--both fantastic bands and put on a unreal show I'll never forget. But, I saw Cheap Trick twice also. Yes, they belong in the HOF. Great live band--and you cant say that about a lot of bands (can you Areosmith, Billy Idol...) I was a concert junkie when I was younger and have seen over 350 concerts--and my hearing is just fine-thank you!
gotZem!!!

#40 ·
Rush is an absolute no brainer, but today I got a Triumph song stuck in my head, and was thinking about this thread. What about That other Canadian Power trio? Probably not in the influential category, but some righeously rocking music there

#43 ·
i think heart and kiss were way bigger then rush. way more hits.. but i never liked rush,,,if they were so good then why arent they in yet? they have been around for ever,
KISS was a bigger spectacle but not a better band, and Heart can't hold Rush's dirty sweat socks.

Heart is playing county fairs and Rush is still selling out big venues.

It speaks to the irrelevancy of the R&R HOF that Rush is not in.

P

#48 ·
The arguments are seemingly very post modern and PC, why just let any band that sold an album in? I use to think that only the best and influential should be in the HOF.

I can see where you are coming from and I tend to agree. But since the HOF will let in any old band, then on that note Cheap Trick is more than worthy on several levels.

#53 ·
They (CT), should be in there for sure. Kiss not being in there makes little sense. And I see some inductees that make even less sense when it comes to rock n roll.

Kiss shows are awesome and trust me, there are plenty of us Kiss fans out there, we just don't need to speak, let the music play. But we all like what we like and we can't like everything. Was that namby pamby enough to suit everyone?:whistle:

#56 ·
Hall & Oates I can sorta see, you just have to turn your head a little to the left and angle your eyes just right. They actually had some pretty good work in the 70's, ignore most of the 80's crap.

LL not so much.

Stupid hall of fame is stupid. Can't believe Deep Purple or Kiss isn't already in, just shows it's a bunch of idiots running it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.