IFish Fishing Forum banner

++Remington 700 MLS Muzzleloader +++

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Sandbum 
#1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has used this model of muzzleloader or has some experience with one. I have an elk tag this winter and am going to use this rifle in .50 caliber. I was wondering if there are any load suggestions or any other tips on muzzleloader hunting in general as I am new to it. Any info would be great.
Thanks
Just_hunt'n

#2 ·
Great gun. I've never had a problem with mine. I did replace the sight with a fiber optic t/c sight and replace the #11 nippple with a musket [whoopsydaisies!]. I've shot various loads out of it with good results. All the way up to 150g. Just keep it cleaned and you'll be in good shape.

#4 ·
I have 2 of them. One for me and one for the wife. Great guns. Spend plenty of time practicing. I personally limit myself to shots 75 yards or less just because of the open sights. I shoot 365 grain conical lead bullets with 110 777 powder for elk.

#5 ·
I own three of them, all .50 cal. one youth model, one standard, one magnum. The number one issue with them is to take apart the bolt firing pin after every time you shoot it. I can't stress that enough, it's real simple to do just read the owners manual and follow the instructions. The powder charge backblasts through the nip ple and blows up between the firing pin and bolt housing. If left uncleaned the carbon will gum this too tight of a tolerance and the bolt will not close hard enough to fire the cap. I feel it was a design flaw by remington. But I own three so that tells you I like them. They allow me to fully enclose my ignition if hunting in a state that allows it like when I hunted Iowa and be fully legal in Wa and Or. Good muzzleloader! I've read on other sites the remington being slammed for the firing pin issue but as long as a guy stays on top of it, it is no issue! I use rem-oil on the firing pin! :twocents:

#8 ·
Yes it is legal in all states except in traditional sidelock hunts like in Idaho. I like the flexibility of being able to have exposed ignition (WA,OR,ID,CO) enclosed ignition for states (UT,AR,NM,IA). It's the only inline that doesn't come with factory fiber optic sights, which aren't legal in OR. Unfortunately remington discontinued their muzzleloader line due to lack of sales. I have the ability to shoot musket, #11 and 209 shotshell just by changing nip ples and with the 209 the bolt. I'm an Opportunistic hunter so it is a perfect fit for me. :twocents:

#9 ·
I too have three of these rifles. For the elk, you'll want to stick with bullets weighing 300 grains or more. The very best load is Remington's own 289 gr copper bullet, with which I have bagged a number of Idaho elk. This bullet performs very well on game, and is especially accurate with 120 gr. Triple 7 FF.

Several years ago, in Washington I bagged a large Mulie @ 167 yards with my .45 MLS magnum, with the 26" barrel. This was using the TC fiber optic sights, and a 250 gr. Dead Center sabot.

#10 ·
As mentioned before they are legal in OR. I have one in .54 cal. and it's a shooter. Back when we could use sabots it was unbelievable accurate. Now with the lead slugs 100-125yds is the limit. Does have the firing pin issue-will dent the cap but not ignite. Just cycle the bolt(recock) and it fires every time. I know not much consolation. Had a misfire on a bull but it was so far away it didn't know I was around. Just recocked and boom. Wish we could use the 209's. I like mine.

#11 ·
I have one laying around the house some where...

Anyone interested in buying it? As far as I know I have all the parts for it, it's in near perfect condition. It's a blued gun so has minimal rust if I remember correctly...

I switched to the Knight Bighorn and love it!

Keith:D

#13 ·
If I have access to a dishwasher, I dismantle the bolt everytime I clean, scrub the spring assembly with a brush and dishsoap, wash it all in a dishwasher, and them sand the outside of the round flat firing pin, before oiling it (Remoil), and reassembling. Never have had a misfire since doing this.

If I don't have access to a dishwasher, I will take the bolts from all three guns with me, and if one misfires, I replace it with a clean one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.