IFish Fishing Forum banner

Hooks and Horns??

7K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  acefishon 
#1 Ā·
Did anybody catch this show this morning on Root Sports NW? All I can say is wow. If you want to see how not to handle wild fish prior to release, watch this show. Literally every fish was netted, brought in the boat, determined to be wild or hatchery, then tossed back out if wild. The unlucky fish were grabbed by the gills before being tossed back. It was unbelievable.

#3 Ā·
I watched it the first one they brought in hit the side of the boat then they tossed it into the bottom picked it up by the gills high fives all around and was lobbed back in the water. My jaw nearly hit the floor I couldn't believe what I was seeing. This was repeated many times. It was the worst fish handling I have ever seen.

#8 Ā·
You know this how? I don't know what your deal is. The fish handling on that show was horrible and that's a fact. I wouldn't even treat a stocker trout like that. We aren't complaining about a quick picture and release here it was blatant mishandling.

Did you even watch the show?

#10 Ā·
We worked a booth at the Grays Harbor outdoor show last weekend and they were there. I think they're more into hunting than fishing. They do seem to have $$$...drive nice rigs, have nice equip. Don't seem like the typical outdrs folks though. Might be city folk that figured out how to make some money. Never heard of them until last weekend and never watch their show. Oh...they had a "vendor appreciation" thing one night and one of those guys is a pretty good singer. Does that mean anything? ha

#13 Ā·
I didn't see the show, but I've always thought that people on TV and Guides in general should be held to a HIGHER standard, than the weekend warrior.

This sounds INEXCUSABLE!!!

Gorilla, I'm not sure what you agenda is, but you could slash a salmon's gills, then release it to watch it swim away!!!!! There's NO EXCUSE for abusing the resource, NONE!

#14 Ā·
As a real fishermen should know, you can put your fingers under the gill plate and not touch the gills. It is the same with bass, sturgeon, and other fish. You just have to be careful. If there are no rules stating that a wild fish may not be removed from the water there is nothing wrong with it. Worse than that is the fisherman that plays a fish with a light weight rod until the fish is belly up. That kills fish.

#23 Ā·
Actaully state wa u aren't aloud take wild fish out of water must stay in water and released not held up by gills take pic or make a show.Ive seen and talked to these guys from show/ magizine don't seem have clue comes to fishing there more Into hunting,seemed be city folks:

#16 Ā·
This sounds terrible and I'm not sure why anyone would want to defend it . I think the last thing we need to start doing is testing "the resiliency of salmon"

#18 Ā·
sure funny how people jump to judgement. these guys are rich. I know that for a fact. they are normal people who work everyday at a normal job. some people need to get a life. and as far as the handling of the fish. it's a reservation. they can do what they want. the wdfw has no control over it. not saying it's right just stating the facts.

#29 Ā·
The one show I saw they put in the morning, trolling, and didn't hook a fish until sundown.

So that's a TV fishing show?

How'd they get a second one?

#34 Ā·
I have watched 3 episodes and didn't really care for any of them. The last on this past Saturday was by far the worst. You can overlook the editing and lack of charisma on camera, that would improve over time. But I'm sure they have treated fish that way since before the show even started, and our complaining won't make them stop now.

The best way to handle this is to not watch the show. The poor ratings will eventually seal their fate and the show will be cancelled.

Just my :twocents:

RW

#35 Ā·
I have watched 3 episodes and didn't really care for any of them. The last on this past Saturday was by far the worst. You can overlook the editing and lack of charisma on camera, that would improve over time. But I'm sure they have treated fish that way since before the show even started, and our complaining won't make them stop now.

The best way to handle this is to not watch the show. The poor ratings will eventually seal their fate and the show will be cancelled.

Just my :twocents:

RW
That's my plan after seeing the fish handling. Granted it was on the Quinault, but that doesn't change the fact that they appear to be slobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.