IFish Fishing Forum banner

2012 Archery Season

9K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  1blacktail 
#1 ·
So maybe I am just "smoking crack" here, but I was looking at next year's calendar dates, specifically September. I noticed that September starts on a Saturday, and ends on a Sunday in 2012. Again, don't laugh or make fun of me, but is there any chance ODFW will set Archery season for next year to start and end on these dates, or are they going to start it on August 25th and end it on September 22nd, which would be ridiculously early to end Archery season. I am pretty sure I no the realistic answer, but is there any hope?

I better quit smoking the hard stuff......:):pray:

#2 ·
So maybe I am just "smoking crack" here, but I was looking at next year's calendar dates, specifically September. I noticed that September starts on a Saturday, and ends on a Sunday in 2012. Again, don't laugh or make fun of me, but is there any chance ODFW will set Archery season for next year to start and end on these dates, or are they going to start it on August 25th and end it on September 22nd, which would be ridiculously early to end Archery season. I am pretty sure I no the realistic answer, but is there any hope?

I better quit smoking the hard stuff......:):pray:
Yes and no.

#3 ·
ODFW tries to start rifle deer season on Oct. 1 or as close as possible, but never before. They'll end archery the week before. Looking at my calendar, thinking they'll start it Oct. 6. Should be a fantastic year next year.

#6 ·
ODFW uses a predetermined succession of dates each year that gets earlier by one day each year until some point where it resets back a week and they start over. All the seasons follow this so they don't start overlapping. I believe I read that it will still get earlier this year, and by 2 days instead of one because of the leap year. Probably not good for your archery hunt or my 10 preference point elk hunt, either. Blame the guy who invented the calendar, I guess. Or blame ODFW; that's what everyone else on here does.
QQ

#7 ·
I will blame ODFW! I know what the reality is. If rifle deer season starts on Sept. 29th, I will be really disappointed in the system, but what is new. I have always been a proponent of a Sept. 1st-Sept. 30th season just like Idaho. In that case, ODFW will probably do the exact opposite and screw the archery hunters once again. I am going to do some research and write a letter to ODFW to request they use some common sense.

Wait, I must be "smoking crack" again. I just said ODFW and Common Sense in the same sentence.
:)

#13 ·
This is funny, Y'all are getting all worked up over nothing. It ALWAYS starts the last saturday in August or the saturday of the 34th week of the year, regardless of the date.
Rifle deer ALWAYS starts the first saturday in October, EVERY YEAR!

And best of all the deer and elk dont look at calendars so quit-cho griping and hunt!

#21 ·
ODFW always seems to give archery hunters the short end of the stick. I know some folks need the hot August weather to drive their quarry to watering holes. Is an August opener really necessary? The warm weather increases the risk of meat spoiling (even if you shoot/track/process/transport perfectly), and don't get me started on the yellow jackets. I don't know about the rest of you, but I got into archery to be up close and personal with the game I hunted. Not being able to hunt the peak rut for elk, early October, just doesn't seem fair. Not to mention ODFW eliminated the late general season for elk and made them a handful of draws. What gives?

#31 ·
ODFW always seems to give archery hunters the short end of the stick. .......... Not to mention ODFW eliminated the late general season for elk and made them a handful of draws. What gives?[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting perspective. Ask a first season Eastern Oregon rifle elk hunter .... who has had to draw for tags for 20+ years .... and who gets all of 5 days to hunt .... and never gets to hunt during the rut .... and has never had a late season .... what he thinks about the "short end of the stick".

#22 ·
ODFW is trying to protect the deer and elk and if you are archery hunting, you just better have alot of luck to get an animal next year. Fire season will start early and end just b4 the last of archery season. :) timber private lands will be close due to fire danger and no public access available. Yep, every year and next year will be worst. So if you gonna do archery, you better set up 10 cameras in the forest and get your deer and elk in the first hr of the season. Otherwise, think I see rifle elk hunting next year. :)

#26 ·
Who knows what they'll do. I know there is always at least a week in between the two seasons. I wish they would run bow season into october though. It seams like the bulls are rutting latere and later every year. I just called in a 5 point two days ago for fun up by hagg lake where I live. I heard only a few young bulls bugle during the season

#27 ·
I am no biologist but.......Even if the weather is 100 or sub zero, the rut will happen.Yes the cooler weather keeps them up later in the morning and gets them out of bed earlier in the afternoon. Which is when we would most likely hear them.
This comment should stir the pot but it is something for all of us "archery hunters" to think about ; if the rut really was happening that much later wouldn't we see the calves hitting the ground later as well????????:twocents:++
In 2010 i killed a 5X5 on opening day, in 2011 i killed a 5X5 third day of the season. Both CALLED in to under thirty yards, both bugled. All on public land general season tags.

#28 ·
What stimulates the Elk rut is the amount of daylight, period. Weather conditions then determine how active they are.

#33 ·
It closed on the 25th this year with hot, dry conditions. 0 rainfall the month of September in Grant county. Who knows, next year we might be blessed with cooler weather, overcast skies and a skift of snow on the ground.:pray:

#36 ·
Very true! But I doubt the archery community wants a whole pile of undedicated "newbies" each year. You know .... the kind who are not committed, don't practice, or buy a bow just before season. And none of us want or need any more lost animals. It's bad enough already without a bunch of amatuer archers contributing to the pile. :twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.