Airgun hunting in Oregon - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Default Airgun hunting in Oregon

Oddly enough, California allows the use of "adult quality" pellet rifles for taking quail, pheasant, wild turkey and other small game.
I wish Oregon would do the same. The reason is that powerful, high-quality pellet rifles are extremely accurate at close range, and with proper pellets, quite lethal. And yet they are quiet, unlikely to spook game or neighbors, and offer very limited pellet trajectory as a safety factor. For example, .22s are allowed for hunting gray squirrels, but the bullets, when fired at typically high angles, can go for a mile or more. Not so with a pellet. There's a huge gain in safety right there.
The fact that pellet rifles can be safely and unobtrusively used in rural residential areas opens up all kinds of possibilities for hunting in these often game-rich areas that otherwise are off limits owing to noise and safety concerns.
Here's an exhaustive look at these guns in the field in California, including applicable California statutes:

ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/airguns/airgunhunt.pdf

Bill Rogue V. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Butcher45
Chromer

Default Re: Airgun hunting in Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Oddly enough, California allows the use of "adult quality" pellet rifles for taking quail, pheasant, wild turkey and other small game.
I wish Oregon would do the same. The reason is that powerful, high-quality pellet rifles are extremely accurate at close range, and with proper pellets, quite lethal. And yet they are quiet, unlikely to spook game or neighbors, and offer very limited pellet trajectory as a safety factor. For example, .22s are allowed for hunting gray squirrels, but the bullets, when fired at typically high angles, can go for a mile or more. Not so with a pellet. There's a huge gain in safety right there.
The fact that pellet rifles can be safely and unobtrusively used in rural residential areas opens up all kinds of possibilities for hunting in these often game-rich areas that otherwise are off limits owing to noise and safety concerns.
Here's an exhaustive look at these guns in the field in California, including applicable California statutes:

ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/airguns/airgunhunt.pdf

Yep California actually got that one right. Pellet guns are the right tool for small game animals. Spot-and-stalk pheasant hunting sure sounds like a challenge to me!

I would much prefer that everyone hunt sqwerl with pellet guns, rather than .22lr's

Click image for .45 airgun slideshow
Butcher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Holy cats, Butcher, you must be running one of those Korean big bores!
I've been working over the ground squirrels under the chicken coop here with my .177 BAM-26, but could be having dove and quail pie if it were legal in Oregon.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

The lucky guys in California are already hunting wild turkeys with their pellet rifles!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Wreckless
King Salmon

Spot & stalk Grouse and Quail hunting would be a GREAT challenge!!!!

I'd be in in a HEART BEAT!!! Now if I can just get my Gamo to shoot better than a 3" group at 25 yards!!!!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Wreckless: I totally agree. This is why I am planning an effort to get a number of serious airgunners to approach ODFW about expanding hunting opportunities with adult air guns. I emailed ODFW a year or two ago, asking if they had talked with any of their California cohorts about this topic. All I heard back was some mumbo-jumbo about how letting airgunners hunt game birds would make enforcement difficult because the guns are so quiet.
HUH?
What about archery hunters then?
I think ODFW might be convinced by a thoughtful campaign.
I'll have more to say on this in the near future.
I got a Benjamin Marauder PCP rifle for my birthday. It is a .25 caliber pellet rifle, and it is powerful, incredibly accurate and quiet.
It would be perfect for beaning a gobbler if it were only legal, and it would not disturb the neighbors.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Wreckless: Airgun accuracy is sometimes tough to figure out. Every gun has a certain pellet that works best and finding the right one takes time. I did it the easy way by asking the local air gun expert who is always at the local gun shows.

I will say that cheap pellets probably won't shoot straight in any gun. Stay away from pointed pellets. Most target quality rounds are flat point and they work well on small game too. I use a domed pellet, Beeman #31250 CMP in my RWS Model 34. I have crappy eyes and can hardly see the rear sight but it shoots 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 15 yards if I get lucky. Someone with good eyes can do better.

Make sure your barrel is dry and clean. Run a nylon brush through a few times then some dry patches, never oil it. Shoot a hundred rounds then sight in with good pellets.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Butcher45
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Wreckless: I totally agree. This is why I am planning an effort to get a number of serious airgunners to approach ODFW about expanding hunting opportunities with adult air guns. I emailed ODFW a year or two ago, asking if they had talked with any of their California cohorts about this topic. All I heard back was some mumbo-jumbo about how letting airgunners hunt game birds would make enforcement difficult because the guns are so quiet.
HUH?
What about archery hunters then?
I think ODFW might be convinced by a thoughtful campaign.
I'll have more to say on this in the near future.
I got a Benjamin Marauder PCP rifle for my birthday. It is a .25 caliber pellet rifle, and it is powerful, incredibly accurate and quiet.
It would be perfect for beaning a gobbler if it were only legal, and it would not disturb the neighbors.

Nice to see more Oregon folks getting interested in expanding hunting opportunities with airguns (be they smallbore, or bigbore).

Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
connerroper
Coho

I bought a crosman quest pellet gun a couple years ago and love it. It was only $100 and i can hit tin cans at 50 yards with it no problem. i usually shoot a bottle cap on a string at about 15 yard. very accurate, horrible trigger, but you get used to it after a while. i would love to hunt small game with it.
connerroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Butcher45
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerroper View Post
horrible trigger, but you get used to it after a while. i would love to hunt small game with it.
Check out the aftermarket airgun triggers......CharlieDaTuna may have what you need.