IFish Fishing Forum banner

Best places to winter steelhead fish (spey)

9K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  clarkman23 
#1 ·
Hello I live in Washington but am thinking of buying a oregon tag this year for the simple fact that i believe that oregon has better local winter steelhead fishing. Sandy,Clack... So where and when should i be thinking of hittin the river?? No secret spots just general areas.. Thanks

#2 ·
Swinging the Fly:
As strange as this may sound, successful winter steelhead fishing with a fly is a lot like plunking. If you are there when the fish are coming through, you'll get em. If you're not then it doesn't matter what river you are fishing.

That said, what rivers do you live close too? If you can find a way to hit a favorite run two or three times a week for an hour or so you'll put a bend in your spey rod.

While this might not be the answer you're looking for, it is the best answer I have.

Nymph Fishing:
Fish below the hatchery planting zones with glo bugs or beads.

#3 · (Edited)
Dave's advice is right on.....

My advice....fish during the week if you can. With the explosion in spey rod popularity the last few years most of the good local swing water on the Sandy & Clack gets hammered on the weekends. Don't be surprised if you have a more difficult time getting dibs on a good swing run on the Sandy or Clack during the middle of winter than the Deschutes in September!

The other options would be 1) coastal rivers; a longer drive also with plenty of people, but not as much competition with other "swingers". 2) Smaller Creeks; such as Eagle Creek, some of the Gorge and coast creeks, etc. Not much swing water and much of it is better suited for the single hander, but if you bring a backpack and take a hike you get away from the masses.

#8 ·
Both states have good water for swinging a fly depending on time of year. Early in the season I fish more in certain areas in one state and more so in another late in the season. What I am saying is it depends on time of year for the most part. Both sides of the Columbia are going to be crowded regardless. I love living in SWW because I have dozens of rivers I can fish within a 2 hour drive from home.

Oh and most nymph water can be swung if you know what you are doing.

#9 ·
Best in what way? Preponderance of of good swing water? Abundant steelhead run? Relative solitude?

Larger rivers tend to have a higher % of suitable swing water. Rivers like the Skagit, Skykomish, and Hoh. While the Sandy and Clackamas have broader runs conducive to the swing, most Oregon coastal rivers tend to be bedrock formed U-shaped channels with water more conducive to nymphing than swinging with a Spey rod. There are always exceptions, but generally speaking.

Where steelhead are abundant, solitude is non-existent. And if steelhead are abundant where you find solitude today, one or both will vanish by tomorrow. You can count on that.

Sg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.