IFish Fishing Forum banner

how long to smoke trout

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lentz 
#1 ·
Even though this should probably be in the recipes board, i thought that i might get a quicker response over here. I have a batch of trout in the smoker right now and with the heat, 100+, i was thinking that they should only take about 4 hours. They have been on for about 3 1/2 hours and i just checked them, juice is still dripping from them. The smallest one was about 9 inches and the biggest one was about 13 inches. Any suggestions or how do i know when they are done. Thanks

#6 ·
If you want to reduce the amt of time you have to keep them in the smoke, try putting the whole skinned fish in the oven at 200 degrees for 2 hrs before you put them in the smoker. I only have to smoke em up for about 2 hrs at approx 130 degrees after the oven time because they have already been slow cooked. Dont forget a good overnight soalk in brine before you put the heat/smoke to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.