Triangle Flashers - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 11-12-2002, 06:15 AM   #1
Threemuch
King Salmon

Default Triangle Flashers

Salty Dogs-
Last year, trolling for salmon, I noticed that fish flash flashers seemed to work quite well (for others, I was a hot spot guy).

With the sale at GIJoes, I bought some, and some funkier brand, Dees Diamond Flasher, for next year.

I was wondering if any of you have used them, and had tips, and had considered a mod. I am thinking of drilling some small holes, off the centerline for attaching my leader. That way, the leader will kick a bit more, which sometimes can trigger strikes, and is more or less a must for fishing straight hoochies. Any opinions? Anyone already tried this?

Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:59 AM   #2
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

Default Re: Triangle Flashers

I used the Dees flashers last year. I think they work fine. They flash more angles and make a "popping" sound when spinning in the wind that must translate to noise under the water. I don't know if they actually out fish the Fish Flash, but it sure seemed like it.
Member #81
Pitch Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:51 AM   #3
corrirod

I had the same results as Pitch Pocket. They did seem to out fish the Fish Flash triangles. I didn't make any mods to them.
Original Ifish member #102

Offshore Guardian Marine Safety Training - Salty Dog Sponsor

Oregon Coalition for Educating Anglers Board Member (www.oceaned.org)
"A ship in harbor is safe--but that is not what ships were built for." - Admiral Grace Hopper
corrirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:58 PM   #4
pkg40
Steelhead

I never use flashers of any kind if bait is available and seem to catch as many fish as anyone else. A steelhead rod, crescent sinker, whole herring or anchovy and mix of downrigger and flat lines translates into better sport, less gear, tangles, expense and headache (IMO).
pkg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 05:45 PM   #5
fishwhenican
Chromer

I have had pretty good luck using the fish flash flashers with herring. Sometimes they out fish the diver/dodger/herring setup, it seemed as if it was usually a later in the morning. Silver prism or silver/red both worked well. The higher the sun the better the fish flashes seemed to work, chinook or coho. A couple of weeks ago out of Port Orford: fish flash and herring, 5' of leader, 25' behind the downrigger 2' off the bottom = 3 fish into the boat
We only saw 2 other fish caught that day, including the commercial boats. Like Miss B said they do swing at diff angles on a turn.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:50 PM   #6
Hook-up
Steelhead

A couple of years ago when they first came out I got the idea to try them for teasers on tuna. We put them in line with different jigs. They looked great. They drag on the surface, splash and flash like crazy. Only 2 problems: They tangled other lines really bad and did not catch anything. It was a really slow day though. You know the kind that makes you try stuff like this in the first place.
We have tried them a couple of times on salmon (both coho and chinook) with no luck (except tangles). I know others have had great success with them but we went back to dodgers and hotspots, etc...
My 2 cents...
Hook-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 07:35 PM   #7
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

Mel, the one thing about pulling divers like Deltas (I like the Deep Six because you can release them) is you have to move fast enought to pull them through the water. If the current is moving in a different direction faster than you, your diver will go sideways. While you are going sideways, your bait isn't working and oh man the snarls and tangles!

I've found that it isn't your speed, it's your relative speed to the current that keeps your baits working properly. I almost backtroll against the current to keep the bait from self destructing and really fly down current to make sure the bait is spinning at all.

I make sure to power throught the turns and keep my speed up, especially pulling down current. If I'm pulling more than 3 lines on a turn, I'll pull one rod out to keep good spacing and put it back when I straighten out. You can't afford to tangle on the turn, it is almost always a good time to get a strike as the baits drop.

I've found that on a particular day a certain color will work better than others. Over Labor day weekend, we fished 4 days and averaged 11 hook ups per day. One day, I couldn't keep the chinook off of the red Dee's flashers, the next day it was the green Fish Flash. I ran them both each day and one outfished the other by a long shot. I don't know why.

I was also not too crazy about the flashers. I've always just pulled herring (cut plug or whole) with nothing else, but I have to say that I think they do attract the fish. We were taking fish in a crowd while others were just watching. They are very effective if you use them properly.

[ 11-12-2002, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Pitch Pocket ]
Member #81
Pitch Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 11:49 PM   #8
Miss B Haven
King Salmon

Location: Mountaindale- between the Girl Scout Camp and the Nudist Camp :)

I had some problems with the fish flashes this year. I was running them behind deltas and then deltas without any flashers. When the boat was crabbing from wind, or I was crossing currents, the lines with fish flashes would swing down current and get tangled with the straight diver rigs. They can be the ticket at times, but watch out for this problem if you mix and match. We had some whopper tangles before we figured out what was going on. :shocked: [img]graemlins/1zhelp.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
Previous to this problem I was only using them on the long lines with a bananna weight well out behind the boat and well spread, no issues with that.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Miss B Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:17 AM   #9
tailchaser
Ifish Nate

I was wondering when mike's flashers would come up. Dee's flashers are made by my neighbor here in Coos Bay and he's given me all kinds of different shapes to try out and they do work really well. It's basically all we used out in the ocean this year with either a cut plug behind them or a hoochie. I can't remember a time when we didn't come in with limits. A couple of things to rig them though are keys to success. If you're running straight bait or cut plugs behind them make sure to have a 30-36" leader behind them for proper action of the bait. My favorite setup is a rotator head for the herring behind the flasher. If you're running hoochies on them try a couple of different things. Punch a hole in one of the wings and attach the leader to it. It will give a sparatic motion to the hoochie running behind it and only a 18-24" leader on that one.

My typical setup had four of these in the water off of downriggers doing different things. Every day's different on what they like but there was always one combination that killed them that day. I can vouch for mikes work, he catches a ton of fish on those things and so do I.

tc
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:41 PM   #10
Threemuch
King Salmon

Tailchaser-
Your tips are exactly what I was looking for and thinking of trying. Thanks.

PKG40-
I hate flashers and won't use them if I catch fish without them, but on three separate trips to Garibaldi, we struggled compared to others, and they ran fish flash flashers. So I am going to add a few to my repetoir.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote