Weed spraying question - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Default Weed spraying question

What is the difference between Roundup.And Crossbow.

I want to spray my driveway.I've always used Roundup.But have to redo it every couple of months.Is Crossbow any longer lasting? Or is it for a totally different use.

I have some Roundup.But I have 2 1/2 gallons of Crossbow.So If possible I would like to use the Crossbow.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
HntnFsh

Old 04-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
fish_on
Sturgeon

Default Re: Weed spraying question

Crossbow is more powerful stuff it will kill anything that roundup won't and will do it faster, it is some good stuff. It WILL kill trees if you aren't careful and will kill blackberry vines.
fish_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Thanks fish_on.

I also just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.If a mod wants to move it, that would be great.Thank you.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
USS Minnow
Steelhead

Roundup will kill all (most) types of plants. Crossbow will only kill broadleaf plants, it will not kill grasses. Niether have any residual effect beyond what you directly spray. Roundup is your best bet for a driveway. Save the Crossbow for the blackberries.

John

USS Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Riverkeeper
Ichthyomaniac

USS Minnow has it right with regard to roundup being non selective, whereas Crossbow is a selective herbicide used to control broadleaf plants.

While neither is designed to have a residual effect, I believe that the active ingredient in roundup (glyphosate) is bound by plant tissue and soil particles very quickly, meaning it is less likely to run off. The active ingredients in Crossbow (triclopyr and 2,4-D) are more highly toxic chemicals that take longer to break down once applied. Also, I believe the ester formulation of Triclopyr is potentially harmful to your eyes, so be careful.
Riverkeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Shark Bait
Chromer

Be careful spraying Crossbow or any of the volatile 2,4,D based weed killers as you can very easily injure plants you aren't targeting. If you or your neighbors have grapes (among others) .
Old 04-21-2006, 03:05 AM   #7
fishncliff
Tuna!

What about spraying near roses?
fishncliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
TheKing
Chromer

Use crossbow where you do not want to kill the grass. Us round up where you want to kill everything. Farmmaster avaialable at most grange suppy is better at killing pasture or lawn weeds ie Buttercup . Crossbow is better at killing woody plants like balckberry or slamon berry.
Am I too old, is it too late?
TheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #9
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

A whiff of round up will cause malformed roses, even through the roots.

Consider casaron.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
Rustyoar
Ifish Nate

Crossbow (2-4-d) will volitilize at tempetures 80 degrees or higher. Meaning if you spray around grandma's roses on a hot summer day that chemical will become a vapor and be carried by thermals whereever and kill. However you can spray crossbow right in your lawn and it will kill your clovers and dandilions but not your grasses, just do it on a cooler dry day. Spray Round up in your lawn and everything dies.

"Crossbow is more powerful stuff it will kill anything that roundup won't and will do it faster, it is some good stuff. It WILL kill trees if you aren't careful and will kill blackberry vines."

This is partly true I would say Round up is more powerful since it is non selective,

Round-up kills all with no volitilization.

Stick with the Round up on your drive then apply some Casron with your drop spreader, that should give you a good six to eight months depending on your rates.
Rustyoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Snakebite
Ifish Nate

Quote:
What about spraying near roses?
Hmm... roses, blackberries, I'm no botanist, but it looks to me like they are similar species. I'd bet crossbow or roundup would kill roses pretty well!
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #12
Rustyoar
Ifish Nate

You can spray round up near roses, just don't get any on the leaves or bye bye. Just keep your pressure low and your nozzle low. Don't spray any 2-4-d around them just due to the volitilization factor, especally this time of year they are super sensitive.
Rustyoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #13
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

Roundup is the trade name for Glyphosate, which is sold under many many names and strengths. Glyphosate will kill everything, and breaks down very quickly into non toxic compounds. As far as 'friendly' pesticides, Glyphosate is about the best there is.

Crossbow is a different ball game. It is used primarily for woodly plants, will not kill grasses. Usually it is a lot more expensive than Glyphosate so keep this for other things. It also kills poison oak very well also.

I would stay away from Casoron, as it stays around for a long long long time.
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #14
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

If it's just in your driveway use boiling salt water. It's cheap and safe.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
SeaSparrow
Tuna!

We are getting ready to re-fence for cows and one of the the fence lines is covered with poison oak and blackberries (as well as grass). We are waiting for a series of dry days (hopefully starting on Saturday) and will spray the entire fence line. Will be the first time using herbicides on our 20 acres, but we have to do it. Was told to use a combo of roundup and crossbow and a compound to help the spray stick to the leaves. Oh yeah, and a blue dye to help us see where we've sprayed. Hopefully that'll be the only time we have to spray...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

Plants are easier to kill with sprays in the fall, less product is required.

Poison oak is still nasty even dead and dryed out. AND DON"T BURN IT, you don't want that stuff in your lungs.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #17
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Great info Everybody.Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #18
TheKing
Chromer

Sea Sparrow,

Read the directions on the Crossbow for hold off for feeding cattle. If they are pregant or nursing or if you plan to eat them next fall. You have to not feed cattle on ground for 5 years that has been treated with 24d to be considered organic. I would double up on the round up before I treated with 24d for cattle. Horses no real problem.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #19
TheKing
Chromer

One mor ething you want to spray Crossbow when it is 60 degrees or below and you need 2 dry days from the time you spray.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #20
SeaSparrow
Tuna!

Thanks for the heads up TheKing. We'll be reading the crossbow label very carefully. We won't be getting the cows (steer actually) until a year from this summer. Hopefully the crossbow spraying will be confined to a narrow strip just along the one fence line. We'll have electric fence inside of the perimeter fence, so we can use that to keep them out of where we sprayed. Good info everyone as you realize that people use these herbicides to the tune of hundreds of tons per year all over the country (not to mention the planet!). :shocked:
Old 04-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #21
TheKing
Chromer

I used crossbow on 10 arces when I cleared and it really works combined with Roundup. That was 15 years ago. Somtimes you have no other choice. I raise steer as well.

Make the fences strong:-)
Old 04-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #22
diamondfish
Tuna!

Do your self a favor when you go and purchase a 2.5 gallon jug of round-up. Ask for Gly-Star it is 25% less than round-up and twice as potent. We use it for spot spraying in our grass seed fields. Also if you are tired of spot spraying broadleaf plants in your lawn, leaving the brown spot of death, and look into a chemical called Curtail. It kills broadleaf plants but wont do a thing to grass. It is what we use in the lawn to kill dandelions and clover.

With round-up and crossbow, all you are paying for is the name. Go to your local agronomist and ask them for the new non-name brand weed killers and save the money. You will have to purchase it in the 2.5 gallon jug, but the savings is very worth while.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #23
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

You can use roundup (glyphosate) just by itself for blackberries and poison oak this time of year, just wet the new succulent shoots and leaves coming out.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #24
PapaHog
King Salmon

I wonder how fish like this kind of stuff? What is the life of this weed killer and will it get in the run off water and into the river.

Will it harm fish?

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #25
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

SeaSparrow don't buy a compound to help your herbicide stick to the plants. Just use a couple tablespoons liquid dish soap per gallon for a sticker.It works great and breaks down the waxy and oily coatings on leaves.Lots cheaper also. P.S I thought they were going to stop selling crossbow?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #26
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

As far as using roundup, glyphosate is about the safest pesticide to use, its LD50s are somewhere in the 5000mg/kg range for both oral and dermal exposure. Tox to aquatic animals is very very low, I think birds is moderate. Also it does not accumlate in tissues. It binds to soil and is broke down by microbes.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #27
Woody
Sturgeon

Good tip on the blue dye. You can see where you've sprayed. You don't waste material by getting double coverage.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #28
SeaSparrow
Tuna!

Just finished spraying 400' of fence line with the combo herbicides (Roundup and Crossbow). Using the blue dye made it real easy to see where I sprayed. Makes the application very even and allows you to see if any has spilled or gotten on your clothes(I wore a white tyvek suit with hood). Poison oak was way worse than I thought, so we'll see how this worked out...
Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #29
SeaSparrow
Tuna!

Quote:
SeaSparrow don't buy a compound to help your herbicide stick to the plants. Just use a couple tablespoons liquid dish soap per gallon for a sticker.It works great and breaks down the waxy and oily coatings on leaves.Lots cheaper also. P.S I thought they were going to stop selling crossbow?
Shoot, I just now read your post after I had already bought the sticker and combined the chemicals! Looking at the ingredients, it looks like dish soap would work just fine. If there is a next time, we'll go that route... Good idea!