IFish Fishing Forum banner

trout leaders how long?

27K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Bandy76 
#1 ·
im getting ready to start the trout season and was just wondering what leader material you guys or gals use and how long are they. also is it best to use floro or mono all my main lines have 4 lb. Maxima ultra green and 8 lb.

#3 ·
I use Maxima UG in 4lb to 10lb for most all my trout fishing leaders.Length depends on the type of fishing I am doing. For bait fishing with a floating bait I used 14 to 36 inches. For non floating bait I use about 18 to 36 inches. For trolling I use from 10 inches to about 4 feet. 10 inches for a hoochie behind a dodger to 4 feet for a flatlined spoon to the swievel.

#7 ·
Depends on how deep I'm fishing; the general rule of thumb is, the deeper the water, the longer the leader.

And if there's weed cover I add about an extra foot.

For the material there's only one, Umpqua mono. ( Find it in the fly-fishing section ) It's a bit spendy, but it's worth it. The average diameter of this leader is about 2/3 of Maxima, and yet it's incredibly strong stuff If a fish gets off while I'm using Umpqua, chances are it's coz he spit the hook, not coz he broke the leader.

I also go with the lightest line I can get away with. 2 pound test up to 3.5

#8 ·
I was an UG fan for many years and switched to Ande and then to the Cajun Red line. I change line enough that it get's a little costly to use UG and I haven't noticed any negative results. On my still fishing set ups it is mostly 4 lb main and 2 lb leader unless I am in heavy cover and the chance at bigger fish then I go to 3 or 4 lb leader and maybe 6 lb main. In really clear water I might even go 1 lb leader. I start out my leader at 3 1/2 ft. and go shorter if needed.

Pretty rare that I'm not using 4 lb main line and 2 lb leader as I like the fight and challenge of landing the bigger fish and a light or even ultra light setup.

#10 ·
I am now using Platypus Mono. It is thinner and stronger than line produced here. I started tying my gear up with it and now have it loaded on all of my reels. thinner line means less blowback when fishing at depth or long lining. That relates to less line drag when landing fish. I was skeptical at first but this stuff is for real.

#11 ·
As I mostly Troll for trout & some koke, I use 12-20# main line, with the grand kids loss less of my fenders or flashers. add a rubber snubber if koks are in the water & start with a 12-15 leader & adjust.
East lake I have been known to use a 6' leader (72") & detroit when we start of with 18 & have to many drive bys, found they are hitting the snubber (rubber Band) so shorten up to 6-10, then no more drive buys, on fish on
Makes a lot of difference on water clarity & depth.
Change up & have fun. As stated early a starting length is just that, the catching length is where they stay on the hook:flag2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.