IFish Fishing Forum banner

Looking to buy some acreage. Where to start?

3K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Digifish 
#1 · (Edited)
So I am interested in buying a bit of wooded acreage west of the Coast range in Oregon. Something that might be adjacent to a river, or something that has a creek running through it.

It would be something that would never be logged, I would probably put it in a trust. I would also want to build, you know, nothing fancy but a little cabin on the land.

Is there an RMLS equivalent to search for something like this? Also is there website out there that I could bone up on the rules of building, use, etc?

Thanks,
~30#TF

#2 ·
I don't know about an RMLS equivalent website to search for a parcel of land for sale, but each county will have their zoning code available for your use. Most will have a GIS department with the zoning code online or at least online access to the code.

Being able to get a building permit on rural timber land may be a difficult proposition. Depends on the zoning and uses allowed.

#7 ·
If you find something with a house already on it you will have much less trouble building a house. Even if the house is an old ramshackle shack you can usually replace it with a new one or totally restore it. Building on virgin land is getting tougher and tougher.

#9 ·
I've witnessed this first hand. I've been trying to develop 15 acres in TC zoning and it's been one thing after another. Try to stay away from TC zoning if your trying to buy raw land. If there is a house already on the parcel then it's no big deal.

After you find something you like I would contacted the planning department in the county the property is located and go over it with them to see if there's any issues with the plans you have for the property.

Good luck and happy hunting.

#12 ·
Good luck in your search. Very difficult to finance raw land, so you will either need the owner to carry the financing or probably have to pay cash. Then when time to build, if you get a construction loan land will need to be paid off so lender can be in first position. Be careful of owner financing with any type of pre payment penality.

Do your homework, be patient and you can make this happen, but it will not be easy............

#16 · (Edited)
16 acres with a 1/2 mile of riverfront on the Grays River, some old growth spruce, some pasture, power & city water to home site, gravel road to where the original farmhouse stood (about 30 ft higher than the 500 year flood level). Wahkiakum County, WA. It is about a half hour drive to Astoria, OR Or an hour to Longview, WA. We could be talked in to putting it on to the market. CW

I could post some photos if interested.

#17 ·
30# - I've found LandWatch dot com to have a decent selection of parcels. Searchable by county and various site characteristics as well.

As others have said, having local expertise (a realtor, a land use lawyer and financing sources familiar with the specific area) in your corner is critical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.