IFish Fishing Forum banner

Favorite movie

6K views 87 replies 75 participants last post by  Buccaneer 
#1 Ā·
As I was thinking about my favorite tv personality a lot of movies came to mind.... Favorite movie hands down...Braveheart. Funny coincidence is that both of my daughters first movie was Braveheart. Laying on the couch in the hospital room, trying to nap as I had been up all night and there it is.

Interested to see others favorites.

#28 Ā·
Funny how others' picks trigger great memories of forgotten films.
"Cool Hand Luke" reminded me of a favorite Hitchcock film with Paul Newman and Julie Andrews, "Torn Curtain." And that reminded me of Julie Andrews and James Garner in "The Americanization of Emily." And this brought up probably the greatest musical on film, "Sound of Music," perfectly cast and perfectly realized.
I remember seeing this in a grand theater, the Temple in Tacoma, with a cinerama screen, uniformed ushers, the works. Saw "Lawrence of Arabia" in this same theater.
Two other films of this era were must-sees for boys breaking into puberty: "Zulu" and "The Great Escape." I remember lines snaking around the block ...

#40 Ā·
Interesting this same thread ran 10 years ago! Ifish is getting old. (not like some of us!)

Favorite Movies 2004

Anyway, comparing the lists I see a few newer than 10 years old.

Blackhawk Down
Gran Torino
No Country for Old Men

plus a few others I'm sure....

Most favorites are oldies but a few new ones. :)

#56 Ā· (Edited)
One for each day of the week

The Godfather
Hunt for Red October
Clay Pigeons
Scarface
One flew over the Cuckoos Nest
Dances with Wolves
Last Samurai

definitely add Apocalypse Now, A River runs through It, ( although I hate what it did to fly fishing )

and Oregon's own Paint your Wagon too

#60 Ā·
jeremiah jones
Oh Brad, surely you mean Johnson!

And on that note (obviously too many to have just one favorite):

Stop calling me Shirley (Airplane)
The Naked Gun series
The Lives of Others
Jeremiah Johnson
Office Space
Godfather I & II
Silverado
High Plains Drifter
Fried Green Tomatoes (ok, it's a chic flick, but I spent a lot of time in the south)
Just about any WWII, but especially the Band of Brothers series (more of a mini-series).
Lord of the Rings trilogy

BB

#58 Ā·
Bait Bucket:

The realism in Platoon is because the characters actually existed and the events actually happened. Yes, there was some "Hollywood" involved but not a whole lot. Just enough to make a story out of it. Oliver Stone made sure every detail was as real as it could be and he was the best judge of that as this was his personal story/experience. He gets a gold star for this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.