IFish Fishing Forum banner

Cultural knife skills...

5K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  eyeFISH 
#1 Ā·
#14 Ā·
Yeah, observing her work with soiled jacket, gloves, and burlap was a bit painful to watch. I'm the first guy to criticize folks for powerwashing their salmon flesh and I strive to keep any water off the meat, BUT I'm not averse to using plenty of water to ensure clean hands, knives, and working surfaces. Clean running water was definitely missing in that process!

My sanitary critique aside, the dedication to utilizing every scrap of meat was most impressive.

#24 Ā·
Definitely not her first time at preparing fish, as one can see she is very versed at her art. Enjoyed this very much, and feel all young people should watch/listen to video's like this to learn what many have long forgotten about. Not all fish sandwiches come from Micky-D'ees,,,lol's, there!!

#18 Ā·
My guess is early settlers to the northwest learned plenty from the Native Americans about catching and processing Salmon. The art of processing salmon continues to evolve. The vacuum sealer as one example.
I would like to have an original ULU for my knife collection. Might be a business opportunity for a Native American knife maker.

#20 Ā·
My guess is early settlers to the northwest learned plenty from the Native Americans about catching and processing Salmon. The art of processing salmon continues to evolve. The vacuum sealer as one example.
I would like to have an original ULU for my knife collection. Might be a business opportunity for a Native American knife maker.
Here are some Ulu's for sale made using moose or caribou antler for the handle: http://www.knives.net/ULUPAGE.htm

#19 Ā·
Summer of '64 working at a very small cannery on Kodiak's Uganik Bay one emplyee was a year around Island resident and was staying in a summer shack adjacent to the cannery.

She prepared fish for her own use and had them drying on an open rack with periodic light smoking. While her prep of those fish was in the cannery with much better sanitation than in this film clip the real problem for me was flies and other insects drawn to the fish as they hung.

I politely declined her offers to share. Guess I was a wimp.

Setting that picture aside all of the folks who hunt and fish to survive know how to make the most out of their harvest.

#22 Ā·
I have an ulu. Its great for fish. Its especially good with processing frozen fish. I am going to use it for carking tuna this year. It should be great in combination with my fish splitter knife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.