IFish Fishing Forum banner

Camping Question

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jeepmor 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out the rules for dry camping in National Forest or BLM land. Other than fire restrictions, where is it ok to just pull off the dirt road and set up camp?

I'm looking on maps that show national forest or BLM and can make out clear cuts from Google earth that I want to scout out but dont want to wast my time finding the "perfect spot" only to find out its private property.

#2 ·
We dry camp all the time on blm/nf lands while hunting and fishing, along with many others every year. As long as the land is open for public use the only other restrictions besides fire that I'm aware of is length of stay is limited to prevent squatters, etc. Just make sure it's actually public land and not private, and not at a designated use area like a predetermined campground where you can only stay in designated sites. I've stayed just outside of campground areas with no problems, or completely off the beaten path, or just beside the main road.

#4 ·
If you find any gates on the land and you know it to be public, leave them the way you find them. Lots of grazing leases on BLM land.

#5 · (Edited)
Pretty much where ever you want on BLM or Forest Lands. Get away from the main corridors or you might get dusted out.

What area do you have in mind? I've collected a dossier of some great locations over the years doing as you mention.

White River corridor (Barlow Trail) is particularly good pretty much anytime of the year due to LOTS of spots to stop and squat pending snow isn't an issue. There are campgrounds along the trail (all free to my knowledge) and also lots of spots to just stop and camp. Seems to be a great place to get out of the rain also. We've been on Mt. Hood when it was just pouring wet and when we got to our White River spot, it was nice and dry and warm out. Amazing how the weather shifts once you get over the hump of the Cascades on the East side.

Further South around the Crater Lake area I like Windigo Pass. Same deal, lots of dispersed camping spots strewn throughout the area. Refrigerator creek had a really nice spot to stop, and if you need supplies during an extended stay, Crescent is only a short drive away for restocking.

And another favorite area is Three Creeks lake South of Sisters. There's a primitive road, NF 370, that turns East just before you get to Three Creeks lake and will take you all the way to Todd Lake and Sparks lake area at the Northern base of Mt. Bachelor. This route takes you around Broken Top on it's East flanks. Beautiful drive. I don't recall ever seeing anyone on this trail and my wife and I have done this two or three times.

I don't know if you are tent camping or RV camping, but White River is the only place I'd take a Motor Home or RV trailer into, and I would not access it from Hwy 35 as the road is not RV friendly at the higher elevation portion.

#10 ·
All the areas I mentioned are accessible with a trailer, but you are more limited.

Like NF 370 would be off limits if you tried to go from Three Creeks to Todd Lake. You'd find good spots, but turnarounds aren't numerous.

Upper section of Barlow trail is off limits due to the road conditions, too primitive.

Windigo pass was done in my 2WD Vanagon Westfalia years ago. Primitive road, slow with trailer, but you'll find a spot. And we found horse trailer camping spots, so people have been in there with a trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.