bone sour meat? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
bowhunter94
Chromer

Default bone sour meat?

i was just wondering if you have to leave an animal over night, and find it the next morning, how can you tell if the meat is bone sour? is it a visual thing, or is it when you eat the meat you find out?
thanks

bowhunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
No Fences
King Salmon

Default Re: bone sour meat?

Color and odor. If you are unsure, cook a small piece; if it stinks up the kitchen it is no bueno.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
OldTymer
Steelhead

If you have had any experience at all with gutting a fresh kill you will know when you split the animal open if it has bone sour meat by the smell........
Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
XXX archer

There is no doubt when you cut into it. If you have to leave one over nite the best thing to do is bone it out asap! Cut away and tainted meat and discard it.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
bowhunter94
Chromer

you guys are alot of help, thanks for your input
bowhunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
oregonarcher
Steelhead

It is very important that when its hot like it is, you bone out your elk if you are at all leaving meat over night. Leaving the quarters in tact can help facilitate that spoilage of meat in high heat. ideally it gets in the 30's at night, but when it doesn't that meat needs to be boned on sight and allowed to cool as best as possible.

its a bit more work, but your tastebuds will thank you later.
oregonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Tred73
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonarcher View Post
It is very important that when its hot like it is, you bone out your elk if you are at all leaving meat over night. Leaving the quarters in tact can help facilitate that spoilage of meat in high heat. ideally it gets in the 30's at night, but when it doesn't that meat needs to be boned on sight and allowed to cool as best as possible.

its a bit more work, but your tastebuds will thank you later.
This is what I've always done. I also hate packing out bones I can't eat. It is always amazing to me even after an hour or so dead how much more heat is closer to the bone area.
Tred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
dla
Tuna!

Even though it is hot, if you skin and hang the quarters they will keep just fine. Boning is great mainly because it gets rid of the bone weight for the pack out. But boning creates a lot of cuts that will dry out and make for waste (or bad hamburger ). So my recommendation is (a) learn the gutless method, (b) bag and hang the meat as soon as possible - in the shade, (c) hunt with strong buddies

Regarding bone sour, once it starts the only thing you can do is use your nose and trim. If it doesn't smell right - pitch it. Hip sockets and knees are tough spots - if you can get those areas to dry out then a bagged quarter will keep for a couple of days even though it is in the 70's in the shade.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
jasonbartosz
Chromer

We retrieved a young buck about 24 hours after it was shot. Luckily a bear had eaten out the entire cavity, minus the lungs. We skinned it and took it home to find out that the meat held up very very well.

I have heard that if the meat is not cooled out that it gets a white coloration to it within 24 hours.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Even though it is hot, if you skin and hang the quarters they will keep just fine. Boning is great mainly because it gets rid of the bone weight for the pack out. But boning creates a lot of cuts that will dry out and make for waste (or bad hamburger ). So my recommendation is (a) learn the gutless method, (b) bag and hang the meat as soon as possible - in the shade, (c) hunt with strong buddies

Regarding bone sour, once it starts the only thing you can do is use your nose and trim. If it doesn't smell right - pitch it. Hip sockets and knees are tough spots - if you can get those areas to dry out then a bagged quarter will keep for a couple of days even though it is in the 70's in the shade.
Spot on.

Add: don't leave elk overnight if at all possible. Nothing wrong with starting on them at midnight.

Once they are quartered, in the shade and hanging in the breeze they will cool out (meat all one temperature) even if it isn't cool.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
nitrobass
Ifish Nate

If the meat's soured...Notice how the yellowjackets arent on it but the black flies are? Not a good sign.

Clear liquid around the ball sockets...
Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
rtf
Steelhead

If the animal is left out over night with the guts in it it is bad
rtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
upperklam
Steelhead

Getting the animal gutted, hung up and skinned is something that I will do,no matter how late it is or how tired I am. When an animal dies, it's body temperature actually rises, before it starts to cool. The "cooling system" is shut down and the heat from the internal organs begins to warm the muscles around them. With the hide still on and the animal possibly running, or stressed before being killed, it just adds to the equation. One other thing you can do to help prevent the hams from souring is when the animal is hanging feel along the inside along the tenderloin where the hip joint is. You can poke the tip of a knife into the joint and it will "pop" the ball/socket open. It takes practice, but once you learn it, it's easy.
upperklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Roosevelt7x7
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobass View Post
If the meat's soured...Notice how the yellowjackets arent on it but the black flies are? Not a good sign.

Clear liquid around the ball sockets...

Have heard this many times and can't be farther from the truth. Have seen yellow jackets on a gut pile 3 days old, while looking for a knife. The best way to check for bone sour is to cut from the knee on the ham, along the bone to the hip.....this is the joint that will sour first.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #15
sheep97
Coho

what kind of temps are we talking about? In many Alaska units you are required to leave harvested moose and caribou in quarters, you legally can't bone it out. It is only getting down into the 40's and not freezing.
sheep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
WapitiBob
Tuna!

Hang the quarters in the shade, separating the muscles near the ball socket and hold open with a short stick. You will be fine. Been doing it in eastern Oregon archery seasons for 40 years.
WapitiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
ehunter
King Salmon

You need to take care with boned out meats in bags too. Even on warm nights if all the meat is setting stuck to gether and there is no air flow the meat can spoil in the middle of the bag. wapitbob my experience is eastern oregon cools off faster at night than the coast range

I was always under the impression that you want your out side of your meat to dry out because then the flys won't lay eggs unless it moist is that true. I mean with deer it was always a good sign when they get a little crinkling hanging in a tree as long as its cool?

Last edited by ehunter; 09-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
cascaderosey
Tuna!

last year as some of you may remember i could not find my bull and had to recover the next morning . i took it straight to the cooler as soon as we recovered it . It also had been opened up by a cougar or bear a little the liver was missing i belive and some rib meat . I think this helped my case with cooling some . The bottom line is it was a cool day and i got about 50/50 responce from ifishers about what the meat quality would be . bottom line is i lost about 100lbs of meat that the butcher tossed . He should have tossed more . aside from the burger the elk pretty much taste OFF . I have since changed my thoughts on letting anything sit overnight . I will never do that again i will spend all night looking for animal in the future if need be . Any one who thinks that during archery season that they can leave an animal overnight without wasting meat is one "a liar" or two " have never tasted good meat to begin with so there judging curve is off" . I am far from the most experienced hunter on ifish as i only have 22 yrs or so of experience but i guarentee that how you treat your meat and how long it takes to get it into a cooler directly effects the finish product . We all owe it to our game to do what ever is nessessary to not waste not even one pound of meat . After all these critters give their lives for us . Just my take it for what it is and no more then that .
cascaderosey is offline   Reply With Quote