IFish Fishing Forum banner

Deer mount - What config side, front .. Sneak?

13K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  FishermansFriend 
#1 ·
I have to make the call on what config more my deer mount. I have always done deer with a european mount but decided that my cactus buck I wanted a shoulder mount on. I have only had an Elk with a shoulder mount.

What do you guys like? What the heck is a sneak mount? Got pics.

Here is a pic of the deer, its a wierd one, hence the desire to do a shoulder mount.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Deer mount - What config side, front .. Snake?

Sneak would look good with the browpoint action going on there!!!!!!

BU

#7 · (Edited)

semi sneak with slight turn is my choice as well,turn dependant on what wall he will be placed on.
you can always pick a position that reminds you of how the deer was before you shot it,,head up or down right or left turn,,aleart etc.
also what were the ears doing when you took him mimicking the pose is a good way of reminding you of the moment you took it.
:twocents:
here is a link you can see some shoulder forms
http://www.rmi-online.com/index.php/cPath/22_1114_2249_3214

#9 ·

I like the new wall pedistals a lot, but if you didnt plan for that when you caped him you probably wont have enough cape. If a buck has a really nice cape with good white throat patches the up rights display that really well.

#10 ·

I'm a semi-sneak left or right kind of guy myself. Dont realy care for the nose licking full sneak look. The normal upright pose is ok too.

Given the double main on the right side I would go for a semi-sneak left to get that double out front and visible.

#11 · (Edited)

A full sneak looks good when you want to show off good brow tines and/or you killed him in the rut as he was trying to make an exit........in your deer's case, I would have a semi-sneak pose with a slight turn to the deer's right to show off the little drop tine off the eyeguards. This pose will also show the brow tine junk good and he will be opened up so that you can see the double main beam on the right side. Cool Buck. Wheels.

#12 ·

A full sneak looks good when you want to show off good brow tines and/or you killed him in the rut as he was trying to make an exit........in your deer's case, I would have a semi-sneak pose with a slight turn to the deer's right to show off the little drop tine off the eyeguards. This pose will also show the brow tine junk good and he will be opened up so that you can see the double main beam on the right side. Cool Buck. Wheels.

I could agree with that too. Get the left side junk out front, the right side extra main would still be plenty visible.:applause:

I dont see the drop tine though.

#16 ·
Depends on the the wall you are going to put it on. Choose the location first and then decide on the mount position.

#18 ·
Figure out where it will be on the wall and then figure out what will look best. I've never been one for full sneak mounts but I sure do like the semi and 3/4 upright. Full uprights represent a deer that has pegged me and if that happened I probably didn't kill it.

The mount will look more natural if it has some degree of turn to it. Nothing worse (my opinion) than a perfectly straight form. Just doesn't look natural.

I usually try to turn the deer so it is pointed towards the center of the room, if it's in the center wall then turn it towards where most people congregate. If that makes any sense. Personally I'd do a semi sneak left turn with your deer to show off that double beam.

hth, aw

#19 · (Edited)
My suggestions for that buck would be a left turn, semi sneak, with off set shoulders; either a regular wall form or a wall pedestal form.

A sneak mount has the top of the head lower than the top of the shoulders, a semi-sneak will have the head just above the shoulders.
I like a left turn with this rack to show off the odd stuff with the right antlers, the offset shoulders allows the bases to still be easily seen for all that junk!
The semi-sneak is the more relaxed of all the attitudes, it will best reflect how the buck normally carries his head.
I don't have a pic of an offset LT; but here is one with an upright right turn so you can get the idea of what the offset does for the presentation.

#22 ·
I work in a taxidermy shop, and my personal favorite deer mounts are the soft uprights. A soft upright makes the deer look proud, and shows off the antlers.
That a freak for sure. I shot a mule deer that had a non tippy rack, when I had him mounted I went with the sneek and I was more than satisfied with the end result it really throws the rack out there while at the same time gives the animal a more natural look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.