2 Stroke Ban Rumors????? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 12-31-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Tanner
Ifish Nate

Default 2 Stroke Ban Rumors?????

I am considering buying a boat with a sportjet. I have heard in the past that the DEQ or EPA or whatever is going to be banning the use (or production) of 2 stroke boat motors. Can anyone clarify this??????

Team Motion Marine Outback Fishing Machine Division)
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
Small Fry
Sturgeon

Default Re: 2 Stroke Ban Rumors?????

It's just a rumor. In fact many if not all of the new 2 & 4 strokes meet the new standards. And theres no way they can tell us we can't run the ones we already own.
Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Gundog

They have already closed some bodies of water to two stroke operation that is what I have been told. I was told Lake Tahoe is one maybe others have heard this. It is all hearsay for me but I have heard it a few times now.
Mike
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Pickles
Ifish Nate

I got this off of a EPA related information website.

February 6th 2004

Listed here are the Ten Myths and Facts concerning outboard technologies and emissions legislations. Here you will get the truth about the subject.

Abbreviations: EPA, Environmental Protection Agency. CARB, California Air Resource Board. EU, European Union.

Myth #1: The 2006 EPA and EU legislation makes 2-stroks illegal.

Fact #1: There is nothing either in the EPA, CARB or EU outboard emissions legislation that will ban the use of any outboard motor on any waterway. EPA, CARB and EU do set limits for engines to be sold by the effected date of legislation. The legislation enacted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and The California Air Resource Board (CARB) as well as EU Recreational craft directive REGULATE EMISSIONS AND NOT TECHNOLOGIES.

Myth #2: The EPA and EU legislation makes the sale and use of 2-stroke outboards illegal after 2006

Fact #2: Outboard manufacturers are required to comply with U.S. EPA legislation through a corporate average. Any existing outboard model and its technology sold to the end user prior to the effective date can be used beyond 2006 under both EPA and EU legislations. No outboard brand or technology will be outlawed!

Myth #3: 4-stroke outboards achieve the best fuel economy.

Fact #3: Both 4-stroke and direct injection technologies achieve high levels of fuel economy. In fact, recent magazine tests have shown that direct injection outboards actually achieve higher levels of fuel economy and efficiency than the same horsepower 4-stroke model!!

Myth #4: 4-stroke outboards are cleanest available.

Fact #4: 4-stroke and direct injection outboards are extremely clean technologies. 4-stroke models tend to have a slight advantage in the hydrocarbons (HC) category, while direct injection models tend to have the advantage in the carbon monoxide (CO) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) categories Both technologies comply with U.S. EPA 2006, EU 2006 and CARB 2-star and 3-star ratings depending on the model.

Myth #5: The CARB STAR ratings apply world-wide.

Fact #5: The CARB STAR rating applies only to outboards sold in the US State of California and has nothing to do with the EPA or EU 2006 / 2005 Recreational Craft Directive.

Myth #6: Only the 4-stroke technology can achieve the California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3 STAR Ultra Low Emissions certification.

Fact #6: There are CARB 3 STAR certified direct injection outboards being sold today including the Evinrude E-Tec engines

Myth #7: 4-stroke outboards are the lowest maintenance outboards.

Fact #7: Today's 4-stroke and direct injection outboards are both low maintenance products compared to what was available in the industry ten or more years ago. Unlike 4-stroke outboards, Evinrude outboards with direct injection and Evinrude E-Tec outboards have no valves to adjust, no crankcase oil that needs changed, no timing belts or chains that require replacement. This equates to more time on the water for the customer and lower maintenance costs over the engine's life.

Myth #8: 4-stroke technology makes more torque than other outboard technologies.

Fact #8: While most 4-stroke outboards perform at acceptable levels, when comparing equal displacement engines, 4-strokes develop significantly LESS torque at the same RPM than competitive technologies. This is due to the inherent nature of the technology. A 4-stroke makes a power stroke every other revolution of the crankshaft while 2-stroke and direct injection technologies make a power stroke every revolution.

Myth #9: 4-stroke outboards do not consume oil.

Fact #9: According to Southwest Research Institute, a Government approved emissions testing lab, a competitors 115hp 4-stroke outboard engine consumed 4.9 quarts of oil in 100 hours of testing. The oil capacity of the engine is only 4.8 quarts.

Myth #10: 2-stroke outboards expel oil directly into the environment.

Fact #10: The oil in a direct injection outboard is combusted in the cylinder the same way the fuel is and is accounted for already in its emission rating, while 4-strokes need to dispose of the used oil in the crankcase at the time of service.

I only fish and support sustainable fisheries.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
Boat Doc'

The production of motors that do not meet EPA regs will cease in 2006.This would be all 2 stroke carb and efi product. It does not include 2 stroke direct injected or 4 stroke models.It does not prevent you from using them or selling them on the used market. There is some lakes that do prevent the use of 2 stroke outboards in California.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
corrirod

Pickles, can you post the link to that information? I looked all over the EPA site and couldn't find it. Thanks.
Original Ifish member #102

Offshore Guardian Marine Safety Training - Salty Dog Sponsor

Oregon Coalition for Educating Anglers Board Member (www.oceaned.org)
"A ship in harbor is safe--but that is not what ships were built for." - Admiral Grace Hopper
corrirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Redneck
Steelhead

great info pickes!

i'd like to add something to Fact #10. if your gas/oil mixture has too much oil, the excess oil is only partially combusted meaning its not burned all the way. this is where you get the ol' blue & stinky smokers. these are the ones that pollute a lot. the bigger/more sophisticated 2 stroke motors have automatic fuel/oil mixeing but the smaller/cheaper ones are prone to us humans adding too much oil to the mixture.

redneck
Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #8
Spindrifter
Ifish Nate

I saw that same info...but it was on Evinrudes website. Thought it might be referring to the E-tec engine,since they were referring to "a competitors" 4 stroke, in one of the facts. That E-TEC engine really sounds cool though.......we'll see how it hold up. :smile:
" Our ideals resemble the stars, which illuminate the night. No one will ever be able to touch them. But the men who, like the sailors on the ocean, take them for guides, will undoubtedly reach their goal. " -Carl Schurz
Spindrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
apparentgenius
Chromer

I'd be interested in a link to this also. I searched the website and could not find it. I find it strange that they seem so pro 2-stroke....maybe it was a hacker. The comment about 4 strokes burning that much oil seems strange, I've had 2 large ones and never burned a quart in 100 hours.

I did however find something remarkably similar on the Evenrude website.

Glen
Old 01-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
Pickles
Ifish Nate

I apologize, when I stated I got the information from an EPA website, I was mistaken. What I should of said was that I got this information from a website that contained information about the EPA 2006 regulations and what they mean. Here are some links to several different sites containing information on the 2 stroke ban!
1 2 3

I only fish and support sustainable fisheries.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #11
Rescue3
Steelhead

Quote:
The comment about 4 strokes burning that much oil seems strange, I've had 2 large ones and never burned a quart in 100 hours.
I didn't read the link, but I've heard this before and you have to be careful about what was said. The Evinrude guys I've talked with are careful about saying that the 4-strokes "USE" more oil than the 2-strokes, not that the "BURN" more oil. In the E-TEC engine, the 2-stroke oil is completely burned off with no environmental impact (independently verified). All of the 4-strokes burn a little bit (a very little bit in most cases) but the oil is then removed and dumped. In their marketing-speak, this oil is "USED" and may or may not be properly discarded.

Not meaning to sound like an E-TEC salesman here. There are several good outboards available. I'm pretty sold on them, but I've also had good luck with others.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #12
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

It is true that Lake Tahoe has banned the use of 2-stroke engines. This has essentially removed Jetskis from operation. Almost every boat on Tahoe these days is an inboard V8 Cobalt. I'm sure glad I didn't trailer my Sportjet down there two years ago. The kayaks worked fine.