Deep Timber calls...beware! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 08-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
6 point
Steelhead

Thumbs down Deep Timber calls...beware!

Anyone use these calls with any luck? I bought the elk bugle @ the sportman show, it uses a finger rubber for the latex (6 Mil). You need a screw driver & razor & cutting tool to cut to fit the mouth peice, like I need more to carry! The latex only last about 10 calls it deteriorates fast. I tried to get ahold of the maker here in Oregon on there website & come up with a permanent error @ elkhunt@eoni.com. the best I could get out of this call was a squealin spike sound then the latex rips or gets so limp that it is useless! anyone know of thicker or better latex that might work? thanks!
6point...Dave Julien Eagle Creek

Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
BarbDeep
Chromer

Default Re: Deep Timber calls...beware!

My friend had the same problem with thaqt bugle. It sounded good when it worked but that wasn't very often. Plus haveing that break in the middle of a set-up sucks. Takes way to long to get it ready for calling again.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
fishinpoor
Tuna!

I have a buddy that uses that call,it is a little harder to adjust,so he has several mouth pieces with latex ready to roll(it's just pvc,make some extra)he is an oustanding caller with whatever he uses and this is his go-to-#1 call,he is also one of the best elk bowhunters in the state,not the fastest or easiet calls to learn,but when you do,it's dynamite.
fishinpoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Crayfin
Ifish Nate

Go to a supply store and buy some of those finger cots they use for when you cut your finger in a restaurant...I have some extras from last year I can get to you if you would like to send me your address...
Crayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
6 point
Steelhead

Supply store you mean a office supply? they look like little condums? I have some they are either poor quailty that I got from him & office max or got a bad batch because they do not last! I had to work today and been experimenting with differernt latex..even cut the fingers out of latex gloves & thats to heavy. Its just hard to get the right tightness & then you almost need 3 hands to get it set...Min 4 mins just to replace a latex reed..Crayfin thats a generious offer....are they a better latex? I tried the website & phone # website comes up but cant order & phone disconnected!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfin View Post
Go to a supply store and buy some of those finger cots they use for when you cut your finger in a restaurant...I have some extras from last year I can get to you if you would like to send me your address...
Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Tmhunter
Chromer

Next time you go to the dentist,ask him for some dental dams. These work great and are usually thicker than elk call latex.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Crayfin
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 point View Post
Supply store you mean a office supply? they look like little condums? I have some they are either poor quailty that I got from him & office max or got a bad batch because they do not last! I had to work today and been experimenting with differernt latex..even cut the fingers out of latex gloves & thats to heavy. Its just hard to get the right tightness & then you almost need 3 hands to get it set...Min 4 mins just to replace a latex reed..Crayfin thats a generious offer....are they a better latex? I tried the website & phone # website comes up but cant order & phone disconnected!
None of them last forever...I made a bunch of the heads and carry 3 at all times ready to go. On a good day, I can get them to last all day in a day of heavy bugling....PM me your address and I will send you some. I like the pink..there is orange too but I prefer the pink tone better
Old 08-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
mtn300
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Anyone use these calls with any luck? I bought the elk bugle @ the sportman show, it uses a finger rubber for the latex (6 Mil). You need a screw driver & razor & cutting tool to cut to fit the mouth peice, like I need more to carry! The latex only last about 10 calls it deteriorates fast. I tried to get ahold of the maker here in Oregon on there website & come up with a permanent error @ elkhunt@eoni.com. the best I could get out of this call was a squealin spike sound then the latex rips or gets so limp that it is useless! anyone know of thicker or better latex that might work? thanks!
He was in the starkey store trying to sell us his calls on saturday. I didn't have the heart to tell hime we use primos calls. He has a place right around starkey so most likely he will be up there all season. Not a fan of the calls never could get my predator call to work. Call the store maybe they could get you in contact with him
mtn300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

Try a mouth reed, they produce better sounds anyhow...

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
GameChaserFid
Ifish Nate

I have one of his bugles, (not sure the model exactly) but the only problems I had I think were my own error. I eventually got tired of messing around with it so I took the mouthpiece out and now just use the tube with mouth reed.

But on a side note. I have heard from 2 people (one on this site and I believe him). That if you can get the call down then they are awesome.

Good luck.
GameChaserFid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
quackersnacker
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn300 View Post
He was in the starkey store trying to sell us his calls on saturday. I didn't have the heart to tell hime we use primos calls. He has a place right around starkey so most likely he will be up there all season. Not a fan of the calls never could get my predator call to work. Call the store maybe they could get you in contact with him
I've run into him a couple of times up in Starkey and I don't doubt they work well, but for personal reasons I won't use one. I've always been comfortable using the Medium Red Jones call for all my work and will probably continue to do so.
-Shane King-
Old 08-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Crayfin
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhdr1 View Post
Try a mouth reed, they produce better sounds anyhow...

Keith
Huh...I think it depends on who is blowing it For a guy that doesn't want to put the time in learning how...absolutely I agree..I used a reed for years cause I could never get something else to make the sounds I wanted..this is the only mouth piece bugle I blow cause its the only one that can do it...Dollars to donuts says I can hold a note longer than you with a mouth reed though
That being said...there are some great new mouth reeds out there...I say blow what makes the sound you're looking for EVERY time!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
daiello91
King Salmon

I own the bear call and my reed (latex) broke after a few months. I emailed him and for $2 he sent me 3 more. Couldn't be happier with it.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
6 point
Steelhead

I use his cow call & it works great and with great sound...I'm not giving up on Dan's bugle I just need to get the latex to last a little longer.. He useing this call @ the sportman show and sounded great. the mouth peice is clumbersum, you need a screwdriver,reed insert tool and razor to change out..alomost need 3 hands and 5 mins time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
I own the bear call and my reed (latex) broke after a few months. I emailed him and for $2 he sent me 3 more. Couldn't be happier with it.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
DAB
King Salmon

Don't know if it was the same brand but years ago I bought one that used the same thing and it was a piece of crap, just for the reasons you all are talking about.

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Ottafish

I had one and it sounded awesome. Until I had to replace that little condom and I couldn't get it to sound right again. They suck get a mouth reed and be consistant every time.
Ottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
Charlie Storey
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackersnacker View Post
I've run into him a couple of times up in Starkey and I don't doubt they work well, but for personal reasons I won't use one. I've always been comfortable using the Medium Red Jones call for all my work and will probably continue to do so.
-Shane King-
Ditto. Medium red Jones, and some kind of tube does it all, and don't wear out for a looooonnnnngggg time. Its kind of like steelhead fishing...yarn and eggs is all you need...keep it simple. Spending more is just not necessary.
Charlie Storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
forestman
Chromer

I bought one too... it sounded nice at first.. but today with the real deal in the forest, I was not so please with the sound. Diaphram works better for me.
forestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #19
young_gun
Ifish Nate

If you just took the time to learn how to blow it correctly and change and stretch the reeds correctly its no big deal im not sure why everyone breaks them ive been using the same one for 2 seasons now. Its the hardest call to blow out there, but anyone who had heard it in the woods knows why its worth learning.
young_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
daiello91
King Salmon

That's how I got a hold of him, and he responded quickly.

Last edited by Pete; 08-30-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor contact information removed, per AUP.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #21
Adjhunt

Guys this call is really not worth taking to time to learn how to use...

It only called in 3 bulls over 300in on saturday with the biggest only being about 340in. Nothing big enough. And countless numbers of small bulls.

I told younggun he needs to start using a primos bullhorn....

www.FAITHINTHEFIELD.com
Adjhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Chin Hook
Cutthroat

Thumbs up Re: Deep Timber calls...beware!

I hear crazy talk out there We've used the call for the past five years and called more bulls than any other calls combined (I've got all the others)!!! The call produces the most authentic "real" tone on the market and if you know how to inhale and exhale on the chuckle it will produce miracles Don't get me wrong, palate plate calls with a stiff rigid tube works well also (once again, don't sound like production calls).

Yes - you have to learn to use it properly like learning to play an instrument. You cannot purchase this call and produce perfect sounds initially, it takes practice which I appreciate. This allows us to call bulls right on top of guys. Bulls are getting use to production "unrealistic"' plastic tones.

This past weekend we called multiple bulls to less than 40 yards offering three incredible shots. Want to call more large bulls? Learn to use this call's volume using voice with beautiful chuckle patterns.

Get out there and rake, stomp, wear bull scent, growl, vent and bugle like a bull!!! Watch and see what happens

FYI - you can get the LARGE finger socks at Norco or most medical supply stores.

Good hunting!

Last edited by Chin Hook; 09-02-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Chin Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #23
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
Wow that's appauling all right- a screwdriver???? That takes me out of the game- I ain't buying no screwdriver, plus I hate dealing with equipment like screwdrivers- they're so complicated. And the latex doesn't last forever??! What a crock. I only wish this consumer alert would've come sooner.

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
young_gun
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
Wow that's appauling all right- a screwdriver???? That takes me out of the game- I ain't buying no screwdriver, plus I hate dealing with equipment like screwdrivers- they're so complicated. And the latex doesn't last forever??! What a crock. I only wish this consumer alert would've come sooner.
Well said dave, spoke to the company owner elk hunting yesterday, hes elk hunting at the moment like you would guess but he said to call him and leave a message, or email him at deeptimbersounds@yahoo.com.
young_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #25
Tmhunter
Chromer

Sounds by most of the posts that this call takes some practice and finesse to learn how to make good elk sounds. I can appreciate that. Unlike calls like the hoochie mama(a quick fix call that is made for people who don't want to struggle to learn how to do it right). Just my
Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #26
codyv
Steelhead

Quote:

How about a little more respect for the poster, he is simply stating his opinion...everyone has them. I like to hear real experiences with equipment on here, could save me some money down the line. I see nothing useful in your comment.
codyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #27
NeverGuess
Chromer

I love this call. It is the only one I carry. I use it for all sounds. It does take a lot of practice. My latex lasts a long time. It sometimes takes a few tries to get a perfect one.

Just be sure not to leave all the discard fingercots around camp. People seeing them might wonder what in the heck is going on up at archery camp, and wonder about our collective manhood.

I'm a hunter, so I hunt...no matter what
NeverGuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
Crayfin
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGuess View Post
I love this call. It is the only one I carry. I use it for all sounds. It does take a lot of practice. My latex lasts a long time. It sometimes takes a few tries to get a perfect one.

Just be sure not to leave all the discard fingercots around camp. People seeing them might wonder what in the heck is going on up at archery camp, and wonder about our collective manhood.
True Dat!!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #29
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyv View Post
How about a little more respect for the poster, he is simply stating his opinion...everyone has them. I like to hear real experiences with equipment on here, could save me some money down the line. I see nothing useful in your comment.
I have a ton of respect for the poster and you're right, no one would know that with my reply. I was just trying to get a smile out of the guys I know that use this call with great success. I have one myself and I'm not CRAZY about it. I think the best way to get good sounds out of this call is to cut off the air with the tough of your tongue and not everyone can form their tongue into a "ball" like Dan and others can, so it leaves a certain percentage of guys scratching their heads, wondering why they can't make it sound right. There have a been a number or goose calls that worked the same way.
I do have buddies that have used this call to kill at least 4 bulls over 400 inches, as well as countless others that were smaller, so you have to see a little humor in the idea that it's worthless because it requires a tiny little bit of care and maintenence.

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #30
Critter Getter
Chromer

I bought a Jones bugle . The guy at the sporting goods store said this was the easiest bugle to use. Took it home and started practicing. The nearest thing I could get it to sound like an animal was an elephant trumpet. A couple of hunting partners tried it with similar results. Since ya can't have too many calls or bugles I decided to get something else. A buddy said he had good luck with a primos bugle. So I bought one of those. It sounds much better, just like a real elk to me. I guess I'll have to keep practicing with the Jones bugle to get the hang of it . Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Just guessing this is my first attempt at bugleing so I've got a lot to learn.
Critter Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #31
codyv
Steelhead

Quote:
I have a ton of respect for the poster and you're right, no one would know that with my reply. I was just trying to get a smile out of the guys I know that use this call with great success. I have one myself and I'm not CRAZY about it. I think the best way to get good sounds out of this call is to cut off the air with the tough of your tongue and not everyone can form their tongue into a "ball" like Dan and others can, so it leaves a certain percentage of guys scratching their heads, wondering why they can't make it sound right. There have a been a number or goose calls that worked the same way.
I do have buddies that have used this call to kill at least 4 bulls over 400 inches, as well as countless others that were smaller, so you have to see a little humor in the idea that it's worthless because it requires a tiny little bit of care and maintenence.

Right on, thanks for clearing it up!
codyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #32
Chin Hook
Cutthroat

Instead of a screwdriver, I suggest a screwdriver tip in the end of the dowel as the instructions note. No different than carrying a bottle of scent, knife, windchecker, etc...

I carry a couple extra mouthpieces in case of malfunction. This call when used properly calls LARGE bulls due to its Deep Timber sound. We have not experienced many small bulls however each year all the hunters in elk camp have had the opportunity to tag out using the call.

Latex seems to be the only material that makes authentic tones. The bad side is that latex will deteriorate if not kept out of the sun...

From our experience, there's really no other "authentic" sound like it on the market... If so, someone needs to share one with me. I compete in Worlds and have heard them all so if there's another bugle out there that offers the volume and authentic growl/bugle/chuckle tones without the plastic hollow sound, please share!

Using a palate plate combined with Dan's tube also works well however it's hard to achieve the deep volume like a "real" bull.

Good hunting
Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #33
GameChaserFid
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Hook View Post
Instead of a screwdriver, I suggest a screwdriver tip in the end of the dowel as the instructions note. No different than carrying a bottle of scent, knife, windchecker, etc...

I carry a couple extra mouthpieces in case of malfunction. This call when used properly calls LARGE bulls due to its Deep Timber sound. We have not experienced many small bulls however each year all the hunters in elk camp have had the opportunity to tag out using the call.

Latex seems to be the only material that makes authentic tones. The bad side is that latex will deteriorate if not kept out of the sun...

From our experience, there's really no other "authentic" sound like it on the market... If so, someone needs to share one with me. I compete in Worlds and have heard them all so if there's another bugle out there that offers the volume and authentic growl/bugle/chuckle tones without the plastic hollow sound, please share!

Using a palate plate combined with Dan's tube also works well however it's hard to achieve the deep volume like a "real" bull.

Good hunting

Good information. I will one day again try out his bugle. I heard how well Dan did with it and with a lot of time and patience and practice I should be able to figure it out as well.
GameChaserFid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #34
6 point
Steelhead

Young_gun I believe you were @ Dans Booth when I bought the call, showing me the pic thats on your Avatar as you over heard where i hunted last year as we we're close to the same area. Anyway I made several Honest attempts to contact Dan with disconnected number & the website had wrong contact info on it that I posted....(Since updated) & Dan did contact me, thanks Dan! The Latex finger cots I got from him we're junk, 3 out of the 10 didnt even make it over the mouth peice others as I stated ripped with laterial rips in them like maybe they were old?...yes I know they dont last forever..but comeon a few calls!!!.. & they were kept in a dark closet, not the sun! On a another note.. I receieved some very good input & offers in witch I used some orange finger cots, that got the Bugle dialed in.....I called in 4 bulls this weekend...... Thanks again Todd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gun View Post
Well said dave, spoke to the company owner elk hunting yesterday, hes elk hunting at the moment like you would guess but he said to call him and leave a message, or email him at deeptimbersounds@yahoo.com.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #35
Crayfin
Ifish Nate

My pleasure Nice work out there Fella! Im still after them! Had a nice one get away on day 3.....
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #36
Rauly
Super Moderator

There now that looks better.
No personal attacks! Thanks!
Member #618
LUCK is: Preparation Meeting Opportunity
TEAM: Snood Doods
TEAM: Pop Tart
Big Fish Make Me Happy
Rauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #37
hunt or-e-gon
Steelhead

buy is dvd on how to use that bugle and it will help A LOT. I'm not very good at bugling but after i watched his video and saw how it was done i can honestly say I'm confident enough to use it out in the field, and as far as the reeds if you use it right they last quite a bit and yes some are better than others so try a few different ones till you find one the longest lasting ones. If you'd like to know which ones i found best send me a pm.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #38
daiello91
King Salmon

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....7498585&ref=mf

here's a video of Kevin bugling using the call. Seems like a bad call to me (sarcasim)

Last edited by daiello91; 09-17-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #39
Ottafish

Why doesn't the manufacturer fix the problem of the weak latex and this would be a great call. Everyone that doesn't like this call has a problem with getting it on there without tearing. I agree that it sounded great when I bought it but I burned through all those white rubbers trying to get one to work and they would all rip when I cut it. He needs a more durable product. Sounds like there are some orange ones that are more durable?
Ottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #40
Gun Rod Bow

Good on Crayfin for stepping right up and helping the poster instead of trying to show how brilliant he is by dis-respecting someone elses call.

And this from a guy who has called in what? Like a hundred bulls with a call like that.

I knew I liked the little guy for a reason.