IFish Fishing Forum banner

Where to buy live maggots?

13K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Got One! 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a bait shop that sells live maggots in northwest oregon. Does anyone know of any? Thanks

#3 ·
In my backyard there is a small galvanized trash can that I use to hold the dog's yard piles.

Every two weeks or so, the bag goes out with the trash pick up. I've noticed lots of maggots during the spring and summer months...:jester: for the right price I'll let you sort out the ones you want for bait.

#7 ·
Maybe the local pet shop? They often stock maggots or grubs for certain critters that eat them.
This reminded me of the couple of times I've used meal worms from a pet store (poor mans maggots, perhaps?).

In any event, they were very effective for stockers. I fished them under a weighted, fluorescent, teardrop plastic float with a single #8 baitholder on four feet or so of leader. I just tossed the combination from the bank then make a slow retrieve and out-fished PowerBaiters on several occasions. A swivel will help reduce the line twist.

Well worth a try.

~MT

#12 ·
Joes has them sometimes. (they are on the door's list but most of the times I only saw meal worms...although I never really looked that hard for them.) If you want them in the warmer months, just set your fish guts outside for a day them bury them a half inch, you'll have plenty in a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.