Columbia River Gillnet permit for sale for $6K. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
fishinduck
Steelhead

Default Columbia River Gillnet permit for sale for $6K.

This was an ad in the classifieds in the Oregonian. Wouldn't it be nice to buy it and have one less gillnetter on the river? Just a thought.

fishinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Hogmaster

Default Re: Columbia River Gillnet permit for sale for $6K.

$1 from each ifisher!
Hogmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
HOGGEMIN

Default Re: Columbia River Gillnet permit for sale for $6K.

H ey I will pay $5 bucks towards that.
HOGGEMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Pete
Administrator

Default Re: Columbia River Gillnet permit for sale for $6K

Only about a third of the licenses are currently active. To make an impact, you'd probably have to buy up the low priced inactive licenses before making a dent in the higher priced active ones. Thing is, though, that with the fleet-quota the netters have as much incentive to reduce the number of permits as anyone, since it would mean more profits for those who remain in the fishery.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Kinebra
Chromer

It all starts with a single grain of sand! I'll bid $200!

Kinebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
coconutdan
Steelhead

Actually the gillnetters want these unused latent permits off the market since they can easily catch the allowed quota with about 100 boats. As a fellow Ifisher where should I send my 5 bucks?
coconutdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Kinebra
Chromer

Wouldn't it be nice to get matching funds from someone like...Oregon Wildlife Heritage Foundation for such a cause!

http://www.owhf.org/
Kinebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Pete
Administrator

The federal government did a buy back in the late '70s. I don't recall the numbers specifically, but I believe about 250 permits were purchased for about $4million. Those were primarily dormant permits. Active permits, particularly if they come with a good boat can be substantially more expensive. But even at the old rate, the remaining permits would cost a minimum of $10 million. And as the pool of permits shrinks, the price will go up. It could easily be $25 million to buy back all of them. The down side is we'd lose a valuable ally in fighting the BPA and Corp of Engineers when they choose to manage the river purely for economic benefits. Remember that last year, without the coalition of all users, we would not have been able to effectively bring the spill issue to court.

Report Game Violations!

Old 05-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
coconutdan
Steelhead

Unfortunatly Theres a 1980's oregon law on the books that mandates that 1200 troll and 300 gillnet permits must be mantained. If the number falls below that the lottery kicks in, one part of the reason that the troll fleets is in the mess its in. A large percent of the salmon fisherman want this law gone but another large group feel that their only power and safety is in numbers.
coconutdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #10
husker
Ifish Nate

10 bucks....or 20 if necessary
Old 05-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
bugleboy
Tuna!

I'll definantly pitch in 10-20 bucks!!!
bugleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #12
fishinduck
Steelhead

Thanks for the info Pete. I know I would pitch in some $$$ for this. I thought even if it didn't make a dent in the quota, it might get some attention, if a public forum such as this were to make a purchase.
fishinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
wwjetboater
Steelhead

I put in my share, laws can be changed rember the squeeky wheel gets the greese
wwjetboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
RiverMan
Sturgeon

25 million would be a bargain to get all the nets out of the lower river. Consider the cost of running all the hatcheries in the Columbia Basin many of which will be fortunate to see an annual return rate of one half of one percent. The cost to get an adult fish back to the Columbia River is very high. And, the financial return to the economy through increased sport fishery opportunity would repay the 25 million invested very quickly.

RM
RiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
Pete
Administrator

If the dams were operated to benefit outmigrating fish it wouldn't cost anything but lost generating potential during a time when we have surplus capacity to help the runs rebound to the point when we would have enough fish returning that we wouldn't need hatchery suplementation, wouldn't need the quota system we have now and wouldn't have restricted seasons. Until the spill and flow is managed for fish, we're only dividing the left-overs.

Report Game Violations!

Old 05-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #16
3riversBob
Ifish Nate

Bob

Team Social Experiment
3riversBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #17
Splash
Sturgeon

Quote:
25 million would be a bargain to get all the nets out of the lower river.

The recreational fisher in me wants all of the commercial fishing to end on the CR so all of the salmon would be there for me, us, me. Unfortunately that is greedy and unrealistic.

Pete is 100% correct. We need to be allies to defend fish from other interests.

Perhaps the $25m figure being tossed around would be better invested in finding more suitable alternatives to ********. A more selective method of harvest would certainly provide a huge incentive to mothball the indescriminate ******* fleet.

Just sign me- Commercial friendly. Gillnet intolerant.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #18
Biteme
Ifish Nate

Pete is right here. While I am in no way in favor of gill nets the simple fact is the river is not managed for anyone to catch fish. We need all users of this resource to band together to change the management practices. Until the feds realize fish need water and that changes need to be made with ocean harvest practices especially with our neighbors to the north we can blame everyone till we are blue in the face and it wont change anything. It is time to work together and recover our fisheries not blame each other and fight over the few fish that are left. If we focus on one user group or the other whether it is man or mammal we are not addressing the true problem of we dont have fish to begin with. The argument of wild fish vs hatchery doesnt stand up and is primarily driven by folks that want all the debate over the dams to end. I strongly support doing every thing we can for wild fish but also support strong recreational fisheries and dont think in all cases both can happen givin the current habitat and management practice
click on link to save our salmon
Old 05-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #19
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

Who wants to pay full price?

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #20
RiverMan
Sturgeon

Oh I would agree with Pete entirely but will it ever happen? How long have biologists and sportsman been calling for more spill only to see it not happen or at less than optimum levels? Should we wait another 10 years to see if we can make it happen? How about 20 years? Beyond dams we have disease problems, massive habitat loss, dewatering from irrigation, etc. etc. What makes you think we will find a solution anytime soon? And as much as I hate to say it, we will never see a day where hatchery supplementation is not necessary regardless of spill levels. Why? Because 90% of our headwater rearing areas are either lost or severely altered in a way that is harmful to salmon. And, we have become way too effective in the ocean, GPS, sonar, mile long nets, etc. Hatcheries are here to stay.

We are currently spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year researching salmon, funding hatcheries, improving habitat etc. And,although some of these efforts make a difference most cannot show a measurable improved change for salmon. But buying out gill net permits for a meager 25 million would mean fish start surving today! Not 5 years from now as hatcheries are amped up, not 20 years from now when habitat is improved, and not only during "good water years" where spill and temperatures conditions are favorable for outmigration. Unlike most all other salmon projects, buying out gill net permits is a "guarantee", a no-brainer. Take out the nets and fish survive, money well spent.

RM
RiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #21
tjbelknap
Cutthroat

it would place our word into the media that is somwhat overlooked on this situation! im sure every single person on this site would be willing to do anything to help the fish, even if it means buying out the competition