IFish Fishing Forum banner

When do you wear your PFD?

• Not until an emergency.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • As soon as on the boat at dock/launch.

Votes: 75 64.7%
  • When hazardous conditions present.

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • After leaving dock but before going past the breakwater.

Votes: 14 12.1%

Pfd poll

2K views 28 replies 29 participants last post by  garyfishin 
#1 ·
I looked for one first, didn't find one and am curious how many in the Salty forum make it a religion about wearing their PFD (no matter the type).

#5 ·
I imagine the bulk of people who don't think about PFDs will also not vote in this poll. So it will appear that more are strict about PFD wear than actually are. I am definitely in the pro-PFD category. Buy PFDs people will always wear and require them to be worn. Mustang inflatable PFDs are my #1 choice.

#10 · (Edited)
I used to scoff at PFDs, I wiill keep them handy and put one on when I need it.

Then I saw an accident where a boat hit a submeged object and the skipper was thrown from the boat. He was not able to put on a life jacket AFTER the accident and was unconscious BECAUSE of the accident, without a PFD on it was a body recovery, not a rescue.

So the last 5 years I have insisted everyone wear their PFD at all times. Except one time on Siletz Bay in October 2012 when we were crabbing. Small bay (heck I have been fishing the ocean, the bay is safe and I have a big boat). Heading home we rescued a family of 5 who sunk their drift boat. The ONLY thing that saved their lives is they were WEARING their PDFs when the boat sunk in 2 seconds. After the rescue and warming up of the victims we discussed the irony of we were not wearing our PFDs that day and people we saved would have died if they were not wearing theirs.

Now I insist everyone wears a PFD at all times on my boat. Don't like it? Go fish on someone else's boat. Study history or be doomed to repeat the mistakes of others....

#11 ·
I've had people try to wear mine home that's how un-noticeable they are when you get the good ones, we wear them dock to dock when in the salt or B-10 area but at merwin in the summer or normal river conditions not so much that's a honest answer but what I have learned is if things are comfortable and fit right people are not going to have any issue keeping them on, I'm the captain and I try to lead by example

#14 ·
I fish on quite a few different boats and I always put mine on after I put on my grunden's bibs. I have worn mustang pfd for 4 years and I just bought a new hit hydrostatic that is the best. Trying to swim with bib's, rubber boots, and jacket in this cold water is impossible, don't try it. These are so comfortable you don't know you have them on.:applause:

#17 ·
When I'm on other people's boats, I do what the captain wants.

When I'm on my boat, I wear a PFD when I leave the dock and any time the boat is in transit. If the boat is stopped and the conditions are relatively flat, I don't require it of myself or passengers*. When stopped, all PFD's are always within reach of everyone. This is how I roll, and I don't suggest that anyone else follow my lead.

I can't really vote in your poll, because there is no category for this.

*Subject to change depending on ocean conditions, how I feel, the people I'm with, shark presence, proximity of other vessels, etc..

#19 ·
Wearing a PFD is required on my boat when we're going out on the ocean. Not always in the bay and I don't usually wear one when fishing from my friends 12 boat on the WR for springers, though I probably should wear one there too.

Every year, usually in Jan., I have a courtesy inspection done by the CG Aux, same guy has done it the past several years. So during the U da Man, he was on the water in his boat (a very nice one too) and came up, said he was doing a survey for the marine board on use of pfd and had told the guy with him that everyone on my boat would be wearing a pfd, but ouch, I wasn't 'cause it was a very nice and warm day and we were in the bay. Umm, so when he does the courtesy inspection next Jan, we'll probably have a conversation.

But on the ocean, yes, always unless someone forgets after taking a leak and then they (including me) get reminded and it goes back on.

Wasn't asked, but along with wearing a pfd, my boat has a no alcohol rule while on the water. I enjoy a beer or two, but IMO on a boat isn't the place for it. If something happens, I want myself and all crew to be at their best in terms of thinking and reacting.
ron m

#20 ·
100% mandatory on my boat dock to dock,. No discussion no exceptions. Wear it or find another ride. I have inflatables for all hands plus a couple of vest types. No alcohol on the boat when underway. Same deal.

I always wear mine when I fish with others too. I agree that you can occasionally forget when answering natures call But I have been quickly reminded of my own rule.

Have more than once ended up at the cleaning table wearing one.

#22 ·
Mandatory when crossing the bar and when conditions are determined by me to require wearing them. Optional all other times. Those are the rules on my boat. There have been occasions when I have required certain individuals to wear them 100% of the time due to my confort level (or lack of) with the person but that is rare.

#27 ·
100% of the people 100% of the time on salt water. No exceptions.

On our fresh water lakes, I wear mine and the skipper generally doesn't wear his. I'm not seeing a lot of PFD's used in other boats on the lake, either.

I've announced that I am not going out on the boat anywhere that I cannot swim to shore. So on Lake Billy Chinook, I looked around and admitted that being able to swim to shore would not do me a heck of a lot of good.

For those of you who haven't been to Lake Billy Chinook, most of the lake isn't all that wide, but it has sheer rock cliffs rising straight up out of the water. I don't think a mountain goat could get up those tall cliffs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.