IFish Fishing Forum banner

full size camper on a short box pickup?

45K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  Jcbacalar 
#1 ·
Any ideas on how to make this work? Gotta work with what I have...

#3 ·
:yeahthat:

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Most 8' and larger campers need a minimum 3/4 ton with an 8' bed.
You're lookin' at suspension issues, handling issues, trans problems, overheating.
A roll of the dice that you don't want to do.

Unless this thing is just a shell.....
In that case you might be able to cobble it together, but it still wouldn't be right.
Chicks would not dig it :D

#4 ·
I have been considering a "Pop-Up" type of camper for my Dodge Ram 1500. They usually weigh quite a bit less than a standard full sized camper, and have a lower profile.

It may be something to consider.

#5 ·
I have a 9' camper but it's made for a short bed. You don't mention what you have for a truck but even if you have a 2 ton your COG (center of gravity) is going to be behind the rear axle taking weight off the front wheels. This is not a pretty picture. Even if you fabricate something to support that additional 1.5' nothing will change the COG.

#7 ·
I had an 8.5' camper and hauled it on my 1 ton Dodge it works if the camper is designed for a short bed truck. You need a minimum of a 3/4 ton. There might be some light weight pop ups for 1/2 tons I don't know. If you are not used to a heavy load that is also top heavy skip this route. I did not have a problem with mine but I also have a commercial license and I am used to hauling difficult loads.

Short beds and campers are not ideal but they will work. If you don't already have the truck get a big dually for a camper you will be much happier. Campers offer cramped accommodations so make sure that is what you want. Don't listen to camper salesman they will sell you a camper that is way to big for your truck. Join RV.Net and read up about the subject. You will have shock and tire issues to deal with and also if you plan to haul a boat a supper hitch or equivalent in your future.

When I upgraded to a 27' boat I had to dump the camper because it was just too much rear axle weight for a short bed. My original setup was a 21' Seahawk with an 8.5' aluminum frame camper #2750 dry weight I used a supper hitch with a 2' extension. I would consider this max and it did not handle great but was what I consider safe with my experience. I have driven worse working for 30 years in the power utility industry. I would say it would have a pucker factor beyond what some drivers would tolerate.

With a dually long bed setup for a large camper I believe I could tow the boat I have now but I can sleep in the boat so no need for the camper. The short bed trucks and campers have more to do with the balance of the weight taking weight off the front axle than overloading the rear axle IMHO.

So after all this rambling it depends on your driving experience and what you feel comfortable with doing and you never stated what the truck was you were doing the towing with.

Mike

#8 ·
Sounds like you already have the camper and the truck.If so the only thing I can think of has already been recommended.Mount it on a trailer.Your center of gravity will be too far back if the camper is not designed for a short bed.

I have a short bed 3/4 ton chevy that I haul my 8 1/2 ft. camper on.It handles pretty good.But my camper is designed for a short bed.It also has a light weight of 2250 lbs.

#11 ·
git your self a canopy and a cot and call er good. you can get a taller canopy and take off the tail gate and replace it with a door. Pop up a tent canopy behind it for cooking and sitting :twocents: works great as a crash place when you dont feel up to driving home.:D

#12 ·
i too have a class a cdl and your not going to like the match,,just not a safe combination to play with,,,,,get a least a 3/4 ton like they all have been saying,,,,,spent a lot of time researching my setup when i did it,and even being a very experienced driver of combination rigs this is just not a short cut to make

Attachments

#18 ·
It is not safe here are some safe options.

1) Put the camper on a flat bed trailer and haul it.

2) Sell truck and buy a bigger one.

3) Sell camper and buy a pop up type camper made for a 1/2 ton.

A jacked up 1/2 ton makes it even worse. Your tires wheels, brakes and axles are not made for the weight. A camper is top heavy and creates a lot of body roll I have driven some real dandy stuff on and off the road and would not even consider what you are proposing.

You are not only responsible for yourself and your passengers but the driving public around you do the right thing.

Mike

#19 ·
I had a 03 lance with a slide for a short box that I put on the back of my F250 diesel. Also a short box. We ended up putting airbags on it. In the wind, it was pretty hairy at times. I would not put a camper on a 1/2 ton truck. Doesnt matter what the engine size is. The tranny, suspension, brakes and gearing are not made for that heavy of a load. Look up your GVW (gross vehicle weight) for your vehicle. I would be willing to bet that camper would exceed it. Like mentioned above. Put it on a trailer would be your best bet..

#33 ·
Same with me. I had a 03 Arctic Fox SB with slide on my 2003 F250 gasser. Had it equipped with air bags, leaf springs, sway bar, and shocks. I hated driving it on 84 with wind. Blew a tire out on truck doing 60 on I5 towing my 18’ Predator. Sold the truck and camper separately soon after.

#20 ·
You can do an 8' camper on a long bed 1/2 ton if the dry camper weight doesn't exceed a 1000lbs or so.

An 8' camper on a short bed 1/2 ton isn't a good idea due to the mentioned center of gravity (COG) issues.

An 8' camper on a short bed 1/2 ton with 6" lift is a really bad idea. Sorry.

#24 ·
Any Arctic Fox appears sketchy looking,look at it,it's humungous.Mine looks the same and it's an 811 on a short bed,I think it looks awesome and done up right with the bags,super hitch,torklift tie downs.I sold an 8'6" Weekender Lite @1800 lbs to a guy with a Ram 1500,he drove it from Vancouver to Oak Harbor,I called him to make sure he made it back ok he said it was an adventure getting it home,my interpratation was full size camper on a half ton truck is kinda sketchy,even with 3/4 ton truck I should have got a 1 ton

#27 ·
Have you talked to a local camper dealer like Curtis?

Tell um what you have and let them tell you what would work.

jz

#32 ·
I don't know what you mean by upgraded axel. Is it just a gear ratio change or did you put a 3/4 ton axel on? The difference in a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton axel is significant. If nothing else the bearings on a 1/2 ton are not up to the job. The air bags will help stabilize the load and relieve some of the spring weight but the axel/bearings still take the stress.

Modern campers have so many amenities their weight has gone up a lot. Mine is the lightest 9.5' Lance they make and it still weighs over 3200# with all our personal stuff and full load of water and propane. My long bed, long axel, F350 handles it just fine and also tows an 18' boat.

Should you decide to take the suggestion of trailering the camper or getting a camp trailer instead be sure it has good brakes. The brakes on a 1/2 ton axel are not always up to the strain they will get without trailer brakes. Most states require brakes on a trailer heavier than 1800 pounds...Oregon is the only an exception; they only require the vehicle be able to stop within a specified distance....which is crazy.

#35 ·
Get a 4wheel pop up camper. Weight is less than a thousand pounds. I used to have a Palomino B-800 pop up on my 3/4 ton. Would have worked fine on a 1/2 ton. Was about1400# loaded. My buddy has a Lance made for 1/2 ton 5 1/2 bed. Seems to be a winner.
Seems everyone here thinks the camper has to be giant luxury model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.