IFish Fishing Forum banner

Homemade Duck Jerky recipe...

17K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Lured In 
#1 Ā·
I know many of you may have a good recipe for deer/elk/duck/goose jerky, but here is one more. I am self proclaimed culinary expert and therefore take great pride in my kitchen prowess. :wink:

I have tried a few recipes for duck jerky before and by far this one has turned out the best, so I thought I would share it.

In this case I used a spoonie and a ringneck's breast, dried with a paper towel and cut into 1.5" by 0.5" strips. (Trim fat where necessary). Roll each piece in a mix of salt, coarse ground black pepper and garlic powder. I used a about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and a 1 teaspoon of garlic powder poured out on a paper plate. Roll the duck pieces on the paper plate until fully coated. Repeat making the mix until all pieces have been coated. Place in a tupperware dish in the fridge for at least 6 hours. (Next time I will make a big batch of the mix and do the shake routine as it is probably faster.)

Mix up about a 2:1 mix of soy sauce and honey with a wisk. (two parts soy sauce, one part honey.) I used a half cup of soy sauce and 1/4 cup of honey). Pour soy sauce mix over duck in airtight container and let marinate for at least 24 hours in the fridge. Shake or stir the meat a few time during marinating.

Place the duck pieces on an oven rack that will allow the meat to drip, but not let the meat fall through. (Covering a standard oven rack with foil and poking holes in it works well also). Be sure to put a drip pan (like a cookie sheet) below the meat to keep from making a mess of your oven. (My wife was really happy when I didn't do that the first time) Set the oven for around 175-200 degrees. Cook for 4 hours rotating the pieces every hour. The pieces should be dry but not rock hard. I like slightly chewy jerky so if you like the tough stuff give it another hour. Remove the pieces and let cool at room temperature. Seal in zip lock bags or foodsaver them.

If you have a temperature controlled smoker, it would probably work just as well if not better.

Good luck and good eats!

If you have another recipe I would love to hear it!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.