IFish Fishing Forum banner

Old Storm Wiggle Warts

37K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  tile guy 
#1 ·
Seems like there was an older more sought after version of these.....is this the case??

Any Value in the older ones??

Thanks all

#2 ·
The old storm wiggle warts are pretty hard to find anymore. I have about 800 of the old ones still new in the box that I have collected over the years. Some of them are vert hard to come by. Depends on which ones that you have as to what their value is. And then of course it depends on if you are buying or selling.

#6 ·
There's been quite a trade in the old Wiggle Warts, sometimes going for more than $100 each for some key colors. With the reintroduction of the Original Series Warts--it'll be interesting to see if those prices hold.
There was a common misconception out there that Brad's somehow "bought" the original molds. Actually, he just took an original lure and had it knocked off. The owner of the molds, after admittedly screwing up a great lure, ios back in the game which might pull some value from the older lures.

#11 ·
So if someoneone came across a few dozen of these new in the pack (Old stock) what would be the best method to put a value on them to sell assuming someone had a few dozen new in the pack..... All hypothetical and all.

Can't put um on the fishing board without a price and don't have a clue of what that should be.

Paul

#13 ·
So if someoneone came across a few dozen of these new in the pack (Old stock) what would be the best method to put a value on them to sell assuming someone had a few dozen new in the pack..... All hypothetical and all.

Can't put um on the fishing board without a price and don't have a clue of what that should be.

Paul

check ebay first to see what they are selling at, as a starter

#12 ·
So, what I am getting out of all this is:

1. The "Original Series" that is sold in store shelves now is NOT as effective catching fish or is otherwise inferior to the old style (original warts); and

2. The "Original Series" that is sold in stores now will not necessarily reduce the price/value of the old style warts.

Is that correct?

I (if I am still alive) or my baby daughter am going to one day take my old style warts to an Antiques Roadshow 40 years from now.

#14 ·
So, what I am getting out of all this is:

1. The "Original Series" that is sold in store shelves now is NOT as effective catching fish or is otherwise inferior to the old style (original warts); and

2. The "Original Series" that is sold in stores now will not necessarily reduce the price/value of the old style warts.

Is that correct?

I (if I am still alive) or my baby daughter am going to one day take my old style warts to an Antiques Roadshow 40 years from now.
Actually I've had fairly good luck on the new "original series" warts. I believe the mold is the same as the "old" original ones, which I thankfully still have a grocery sack full of. But the wire and parts on the new ones seem wimpier than the old ones, so you have to be more careful when tuning. Some of the paint colors are inferior to the old ones, but on the other hand they have a few new colors that are outstanding and will hold their own with any wart.

I don't think you're going to start a college fund with a box of old warts, but on the other hand they're sure worth hanging on to. Unless, of course, you have some chartreuse lime green herringbone ones in which case you should get rid of them right away by sending them to me.

#15 ·
I've been known to collect a few of the old Storm warts. :smirk:
Here's a "set" of all their old standard colors plus some of the "SP" Special Colors.

Sure, the "Original Series" sold today by Rapala might be the same "mold" as the OLD Storm company originals, the quality is NOT NEAR that of the originals. Sure, they'll catch fish. As good as the real originals, I think not.

Rapala only makes a small handful of the original colors, and many of those tend to be bass or walleye catching colors than steelhead/salmon. They've recently released some funky color schemes that were NEVER made in the originals. The new "Original Series" are made in China, if that tells you anything about their quality. The paint job on them STINKS.

For those wondering how to tell a "REAL" original - those are stamped "wiggle wart" under the lip. The new garbage sold says "Storm" or nothing at all.

Lucky for me, I've still got a few hundred of the older originals to fish so don't have to use the junk from China. :)

#17 ·
Skirmy, come down out of the clouds. Those old plugs won't catch anything!

I'll P/M you with my address. Send'em this way and I'll get rid of them for you. Oh don't worry, it'll be in an environmentally friendly way. :jester:

#23 ·
Well, I guess with that logic, then Ultimate Egg Cure will fish the same as Guide's Choice too then, right? After all, eggs is eggs, right? And let's cure all eggs the same color because that doesn't matter, right? Of course not!

Well there IS a difference between the old Storm warts and the new ones. Will the new ones catch fish? Sure. As well as the old ones? Not a chance. Heck, even Guides Choice eggs catch fish too, right? As well as Ultimate Egg Cure?

The older warts had a different sound to the rattles, and besides a far wider range of killer, PROVEN colors that aren't made any more, they DO pull straighter out of the box. The hardware was much better than they use on either Brads or new style warts. That's FACT. Would I have more confidence fishing the older ones over the new? Heck yes, in a heartbeat.

#26 ·
Joemamma - Issues? Oh heck, I've got too many to count!:laugh:

Russ - Sure, today I have no doubt that much of what you're buying on the tackle isle's was produced offshore. Corporate greed and demand to have a huge bottom line has obviously changed the way business is done these days. But in the earlier days of Storm Lures (and many others) it was that way.

Another ifisher (who may eventually read this thread and chime in) runs a website for "vintagestormlures" (you fill in www and .com part!). And you say I have issues! :laugh: He's got a section on there about the history of Storm Lures. Much of his info comes direct from Dave Storm himself. I hardly think that in the 60's, 70's and 80's when Storms best products were produced they were dealing with "offshore" parts. As you can read below, from Dave Storm's own words, "molding continued in Norman Oklahoma until August 2000" Here's a small cut and paste from the "history" link on his site:

The Storm Lure Company was started by two brothers in 1964, which were joined by a third brother a few years later, in Norman, Oklahoma. The family business began very small, which was followed by the successful introductions of various other baits that we have become so accustomed to over the years. As time went on, new colors and styles were added as production increased exponentially before the company was sold to Rapala in January 1999 when sales and profits were at an all time high. It was simply the ‘right time’ for the brothers to sale the company and retire.
The business was run very ‘old style,’ making their own molds and prototypes themselves and even building the production plant themselves. Some of the production was moved to Mexico in the late 1980’s, which took years before the plant was fully operational however; the plant never produced 100% of the lures and some production remained at the Norman, Oklahoma plant. This was approximately the time (1989) when the labels were changed from red to blue. The change was simply just that, a change. All inventory, stock, equipment and molds were shipped to Minnetonka, Minnesota in spring 1999 after the sale to Rapala. Molding continued in Oklahoma until August 2000. Thus, the lures marked with Rapala’s Minnetonka address would be the last lures made of the original style by Storm.

#27 ·
when ever I think of skrimmy that pic pops up in my mind very impressive and that is only a dot on the map of all the plugs he has !! dont get him started on tad's!!

so bob when going over to pull some of those old beat up worthless plugs around:smash: :laugh: :laugh:

#29 ·
We've fished Warts and Mag Warts for years, the Brads seem to be the same as the old warts, action and all, Brads has a few different patterns and things, but pretty much the same. The Wiggles went through a weird phase, glue on bills, not the same action, etc. Now the new wiggles are the same as before, man am I glad.....cause I don't have a collection like skrimmy's... You rock.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

#30 ·
So this may come as good news, but I think Rapala went back to making the orignal Wiggle wart. Claims they have original moulds and blahzy blahzy. In the first picture the Pink Wart is the style after Rapala bought out Storm. The one next to it is the claimed new back to the old mould style, the one above that is a Brad's Magnum Wiggler, and above that a Yakima Bait Fat Fish. You can definately see simularities. The Brad's and new original wart look identical except for eyeball style. I apologize for not having an old orignal wart to compare too.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.