my best fish of the season... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
roosevelt
King Salmon

Default my best fish of the season...

so far

I will admit, I have been pretty jealous reading the springer threads lately, still fishing winter steelhead, eating it a couple nights a week, because that's the fresh fish available right now...a little into this morning I hook a fish, see it's chrome, then see it's big....figure it's a wild fish, all of the keepers lately have been 5-7lbs.

it doesn't do anything too crazy, I get it close and see it's a hatchery fish, started being a little easier on it, it was the 3rd fish on that leader, end up beaching it and instantly knew....summer!

on top of it being a summer, it's the biggest hatchery steelhead I have landed all year, I would say within a half pound of 12#, solid fish...

just broiled up the collars and belly strips for breakfast

eating summer steelhead the next 3 nights! might not be as good as springer, but darn close.....

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Wreckless
King Salmon

Default Re: my best fish of the season...

BEAUTY!!!!

I have a buddy that PREFERS a chrome Steelhead over greasy springer!!!

NICE FISH!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
TripleJ
Tuna!

Gorgeous fish! Nice work.
TripleJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Steelheader4life
Chromer

Nice! Those early summers can eat better than springers sometimes. I have been itching to get back out to see if I could get lucky enough to pick up an early summer. My goal is a winter, summer, and springer all in the same day
Steelheader4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
pharmseller
King Salmon

Springer #1, summer steelhead #1A

P

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
roosevelt
King Salmon

tall order, but possible

Pharm, I agree, that is accurate.

I haven't been that giddy to catch a fish since last year about this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheader4life View Post
Nice! Those early summers can eat better than springers sometimes. I have been itching to get back out to see if I could get lucky enough to pick up an early summer. My goal is a winter, summer, and springer all in the same day
Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
SalmonBuster
Chromer

Nice fish! What did you catch it on?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
roosevelt
King Salmon

eggs, been throwing spinners a bit lately, hoping for a summer, but got it on bait. can never go wrong with boraxed steelhead eggs for any steelhead
Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
DogZilla15
King Salmon

A fine catch there. Summers are no. 1 in my book for the table.

"Boraxed Steelhead eggs for any steelhead." Folks should pay attention to this.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
Whethole
Tuna!

Ditto, Dogzilla!

And roosey, dam you for parading that summer pic! Now I REALLY cant wait to hook into a summer! Nice fish, man. Usually, my first summer is devoured within hours of being bled. Nothing compares to spring/summer fatties!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
roosevelt
King Salmon

I could help to show that one off this fish certainly isn't going anywhere near the freezer...i'm on my own the next 2 nights for dinner, that will take care of one side, the other side will be cooked when my wife and daughter get back...leftovers will make killer sandwitches...YUM! the little snack I had a bit ago was the best food I have eaten since last June...no belly cavity on that fish, all meat....best case scenario, a big April summer run buck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whethole View Post
Ditto, Dogzilla!

And roosey, dam you for parading that summer pic! Now I REALLY cant wait to hook into a summer! Nice fish, man. Usually, my first summer is devoured within hours of being bled. Nothing compares to spring/summer fatties!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
Steelheader4life
Chromer

[QUOTE=roosevelt;14051665]tall order, but possible

Yeah, I've done every combination with two of them but never pulled off the spring tripler. I would settle for just one summer or springer this time of year though!
Steelheader4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
b ruff
Chromer

Nice fish!
b ruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
DT
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheader4life View Post
Super nice fish -- congrats. In addition to being among the more feisty of beasts, the early summers I got last year were completely loaded with fat. Hoping for a repeat this year.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
Timber Tech
Ifish Nate

Nice fish. Tell the truth Mike, it was on a fly right?
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #16
roosevelt
King Salmon

haha! I would make a purist fly fisherman vomit....I like protein on my hook!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #17
DogZilla15
King Salmon

There's nothing like a little worm to flavor a fly.... Like the "protein" reference. It has merit. Funny stuff.......
Old 04-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
Guthooker
Ifish Nate

Jealous beyond belief.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #19
BTA
Ifish Nate

How do you keep da cork so clean??
BTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #20
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA View Post
Ask Pink Boots

Don't take your eyes off the prize folks!

As long as Our current Rogue Commissioners have a seat, nothing is safe. Our Governor put them there and allowed things to get this far with no push back. I have zero reason to trust her judgement.

Do NOT take your foot off the throttle. Continue to fight until this issue is dead. If you let pressure slip, even for a minute, they will try and weasel thru.

"Flatfish" (nice version)
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #21
blakebennett
Fry

Congratulations Roosevelt. Great post and nice looking fish. You are moving from winters to summers without missing a beat. Good work!
blakebennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 AM   #22
derrick454@
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
so far

I will admit, I have been pretty jealous reading the springer threads lately, still fishing winter steelhead, eating it a couple nights a week, because that's the fresh fish available right now...a little into this morning I hook a fish, see it's chrome, then see it's big....figure it's a wild fish, all of the keepers lately have been 5-7lbs.

it doesn't do anything too crazy, I get it close and see it's a hatchery fish, started being a little easier on it, it was the 3rd fish on that leader, end up beaching it and instantly knew....summer!

on top of it being a summer, it's the biggest hatchery steelhead I have landed all year, I would say within a half pound of 12#, solid fish...

just broiled up the collars and belly strips for breakfast

eating summer steelhead the next 3 nights! might not be as good as springer, but darn close.....

Don't be jealous! Hatchery CR Springers taste good and I enjoy em but pretty boring to catch. You may get one good run than their done. I'm sure that hatch Steelhead you caught had more fight. With that being said most of the highfinner CR Springers put on a good show and or good for leap or two and a few good runs. Honestly I have seen hatchery Tules in the 8 pound class pull harder than a 20 pound hatch Springer. Maybe it's the cooler water temps or genetics I Don't know. I'm craving some line peeling Summer/Fall Chinook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derrick454@ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #23
Rippinglips
Fry

Great fish!
Rippinglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #24
mikebraun
Chromer

Multiple species on the same day is nice and even better when they're CHROME.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #25
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA View Post
for one, all I fish for steelhead eggs is borax, which is a cleaner and doesn't stain, I always rinse my hands after baiting...can't stand it no to.

I fish in the rain a lot (especially this year)

even my salmon bobber rods have very little staining, I don't know how guys get the cork so messed up and pink, I figure they do it on purpose so people know they're serious.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
Kirkll
Steelhead

Steelhead is still the house favorite around here, but Spring chinook is right up there with it....

Quote:
Hatchery CR Springers taste good and I enjoy em but pretty boring to catch. You may get one good run than their done.
I don't know that i agree with this statement. I had a 17# Springer turn me every which way but loose last week. The thing took 4 runs taking 40-60' of line, and did NOT want anything to do with my boat or net...

Granted... They aren't tail walkers or coming out of the water like steelies, but 2 out of 3 so far this year was touch and go getting them in the net.... I think they fight just fine myself.
Kirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #27
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick454@ View Post
Don't be jealous! Hatchery CR Springers taste good and I enjoy em but pretty boring to catch. You may get one good run than their done. I'm sure that hatch Steelhead you caught had more fight. With that being said most of the highfinner CR Springers put on a good show and or good for leap or two and a few good runs. Honestly I have seen hatchery Tules in the 8 pound class pull harder than a 20 pound hatch Springer. Maybe it's the cooler water temps or genetics I Don't know. I'm craving some line peeling Summer/Fall Chinook

i was jealous about the food aspect, i have been craving a nice fatty fish to eat, my craving was filled for now

i like every aspect of steelhead fishing over salmon fishing, other than the bite itself sometimes...i love herring bites, right there at the top of any type of bite.

i have been catching a few steelhead on spinners and spoons lately, and forgot how cool of a bite that is....i would say i'm going to miss steelhead season, but i think it could just keep going this year

i am taking a break soon though, i have put up a lot of bait recently, and i'm going to fish springers hard this year.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #28
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Hook into a coastal springer when you're fishing light for summers and they are anything but boring. If you have 12 lb.+ all the way to the hook they aren't too bad but a real hand full if you don't.

Hooking a big Tule around a bunch of other boats can make you real popular. They're a hoot for sure.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #29
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Hook into a coastal springer when you're fishing light for summers and they are anything but boring. If you have 12 lb.+ all the way to the hook they aren't too bad but a real hand full if you don't.

Hooking a big Tule around a bunch of other boats can make you real popular. They're a hoot for sure.
i have found that 8lb line is the worst line size for springers period, you cannot apply enough pressure to move them, but still enough pressure to keep them mad, i have landed several on 4lb line summer fishing, and that is boring, they never get to excited, and it just takes a long time of extended pressure.

i agree with 12, it's not perfect, but plenty good enough with the right rod, i have been fishing 20lb powerpro, with 10ft of pline cxx 12 lb, spliced with a Collin's knot (awesome splice for the application by the way, just use 9 wraps both ways rather than 5) for my hardware rod, and it's crazy how much pressure i can put on fish, i got a BIG 13 or 14 pound hatchery steelhead yesterday in heavy water, no way to chase it if it left the hole, and i put a whuppin' on that thing with the heavy gear, and she was pretty hot, trying to leave the hole several times....i could be forceful.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #30
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The problem with the coastal springers is that they like to leave the hole, up or down, doesn't matter. Summers will do the same thing. Amazing how much pressure you can put on a fish with good 12.

I was over on the Kilchis one day and stopped at the bridge on my way down from above. A young guy was playing a Chinook and not doing so well. Watched for a couple of minutes and finally asked what lb. line he was using because he was playing the fish like it was 6 or around there. He said either 12 or 15, can't remember. I convinced him to tighten his drag or he'd be there till the next morning. Said he didn't want to break it off, told him he wouldn't. So, he started putting some bend in his rod and it wasn't long the fish was coming our way. Neither he or I had a net so this was a beach landing. He was pretty happy.

Because the water is so clear on the Kilchis, I started using 8 lb. for fall fish. You could make 'em fight but you couldn't really control them. It was slow but it worked. Never did break any off but some hooks would pull because you couldn't drive them in very well with 8 lb. I went home with my two fish plus jacks every day in the week leading up to Thanksgiving. That was some fun fishing. Almost nobody on the river, frosty mornings but warm and sunny later on.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #31
Whethole
Tuna!

Dogzilla, your statements are true for springers in my home rivers as well. I usually fish 6 to 8lb test line during spring and summer months, and hooking into a hot springer is always FUN! They indeed like to run out of the holes and all over, just like a summer steelhead. Its times like that I'm glad I'm in the drifter. Hold on with ole 6 gauge line and let em tire themselves out. There is no dictating the pace of the fight, only make sure the lines tight and pray.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #32
derrick454@
Steelhead

Default my best fish of the season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkll View Post
Steelhead is still the house favorite around here, but Spring chinook is right up there with it....

I don't know that i agree with this statement. I had a 17# Springer turn me every which way but loose last week. The thing took 4 runs taking 40-60' of line, and did NOT want anything to do with my boat or net...

Granted... They aren't tail walkers or coming out of the water like steelies, but 2 out of 3 so far this year was touch and go getting them in the net.... I think they fight just fine myself.

There are exceptions to the rule. I was talking about mainly hatchery origin CR Springers not making many line peeling runs. Coastal Springers I guess are a different breed. I wouldn't know since I have only caught CR and Willy fish. Some say the coastal Springers are the hardest fighting fish around. The problem with my whole original post I was comparing hatchery CR spring chinook to URB. Probably a bad comparison since most URBs are born in the gravel and have a decent Gene pool still. Our spring chinook gene pool has been altered by man. Thanks to fishing em out in the early 1900's and poor hatchery practices thru out the last 100 years. Well some hatcheries have been successful with spring chinook so I can't say all hatcheries have poor practice. It's definitely gotten better at some locations!!!

Last edited by derrick454@; 04-24-2017 at 04:28 PM.
derrick454@ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #33
Guthooker
Ifish Nate

Quote:
for one, all I fish for steelhead eggs is borax, which is a cleaner and doesn't stain, I always rinse my hands after baiting...can't stand it no to.

I fish in the rain a lot (especially this year)

even my salmon bobber rods have very little staining, I don't know how guys get the cork so messed up and pink, I figure they do it on purpose so people know they're serious.
I use to wash my hands and I still do for a couple of casts, little sand paper at the end of the season does wonders.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #34
Beedub
Steelhead

Quote:
I could help to show that one off this fish certainly isn't going anywhere near the freezer...i'm on my own the next 2 nights for dinner, that will take care of one side, the other side will be cooked when my wife and daughter get back...leftovers will make killer sandwitches...YUM! the little snack I had a bit ago was the best food I have eaten since last June...no belly cavity on that fish, all meat....best case scenario, a big April summer run buck...

What do you put on there with the fish? I'm gonna have to try that

Beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #35
FishOnShawn
Tuna!

Must of missed this thread the other day, beautiful fish! I can't wait for summers to show up on my river (assuming they do). Imo that's the best eating fish.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #36
SSPey
Chromer

Quote:
haha! I would make a purist fly fisherman vomit....I like protein on my hook!
Animal hairs and furs, and bird feathers, are all made of protein. Who knew? So, no hookup, just a short strike on that roe you're trolling.

Nice fish.
SSPey is offline   Reply With Quote