IFish Fishing Forum banner

Lund Boats! Why are they so few and Far between

113K views 64 replies 47 participants last post by  StickFish 
#1 ·
I'm looking at boats and while i currently own a lund why is it that you seldom see them anymore. I know they are a great boat and fish VERY fell but it seems you only hear about aluminum boats these days.

This Boat buying stuff will make a guy go nuts.

#32 ·
I'm confused at what makes a Lund tow a tube better, then an all welded boat, do the rivets make for a better ride? It depends on application! One other thing, which one holds its value better for future resale? Few things I thought when reading this thread. Nothing against a lund just never seen one on the Cowlitz, Lewis, Skykomish, Snohomish, Snoqualimie, Clearwater, or preatty much any other river except maybe right at the boat launch, I do see them in the Big C, and they catch fish watched some good ol' boys put on a clinic last springer season in a red 16' Lund watched them limit out but not before they drank a half gallon and case of beer. They were doing there own thing trolling every which way up down and across the the river it was amusing as they were about the only people catching fish. So think it depends on what you want and where/how you are going to use it. But still not seeing what makes it a better tube puller?

#34 ·
If you have the money to buy a boat, why not buy an older TJ, Alumaweld, Willies, etc.? :shrug:

In the end it will have more uses and they're better built IMO. A lot of ex-easterners from Minnesota on this topic are attempting some weather supremacy like they always do (more snow, colder weather, more rain, etc.). Well sorry to burst your bubble, but running a river with rapids is not the same as running a boat in swells. Rivers are harder on boats than open water.

I can't seem to remember the last time I saw a Lund on the Salmon River, but I can remember when I saw a TJ in a lake, on the LCR, and out in the salt.

#38 ·
When i had my 1890 prov there was only a few other lunds around you cannot beat the ride spent lots of time from bonneville to astoria in that boat some times i miss it A buddy was pricing one at the show 59k and was not everything he wanted i think he went with a ranger 61k

#39 ·
I dont think anyone has mentioned the lund as a jet boat.But what they are intended for they are just as qualified as a welded NW boat of equal length and width on bays rivers like the columbia and ocean as long as your not running skinny water lund is a heck of a boat.

#40 ·
I like Keta's comments and also have and enjoy a riveted boat. I also have a welded boat and support Chance's comments. Heavier, sturdier boats are sturdier and stronger, but they are more expensive to operate, tow and purchase. For the money, compare and buy smart.... I'm 49 and will someday shift from a sturdy, heavy welded boat to an easy to operate, lighter riveted boat, but not yet. C.W.

#42 ·
I wonder if we are all even thinking of the same boats? Sure, Lund makes little 14' riveted bench-seat boats like your dad had way back when, but I don't want to use that on the Columbia, or even a lake anymore than I want to drive his Jeep Willys ;)

My Lund is heavier than my Jetcraft, by quite a bit. For the same length, a Lund will be as heavy or heavier with most boats they compare closest to of the NW style. This obviously isn't because of the thickness of the aluminum, it's all the wood and amenities that are in there. The decision I had to make was more of an oranges-to-oranges one. So I will compare boats I consider to be of the same class from Alumaweld and Lund.

The Lund I would consider for this area would be a Tyee 1850. Full, wraparound windshield, front casting deck, rear casting deck, full top with side curtains and backdrop. I would mount a Columbia river anchor system and move the bow-mount trolling motor to the side (I did this with my Lund when I had it out here for five months).

The Alumaweld I would compare it to is the Stryker Sport 18. This boat would get you no funny looks in a hog line out here. New it is probably much cheaper than the Lund (over $10k cheaper). Used, for a 10 year old Stryker vs a 10 year old Lund, very close. Since that was the market I was in, that was the choice I had to make.

Lund Tyee (Alumaweld Stryker Sport)
Length: 18.5' (18.25')
Beam: 96" (85.5")
Cockpit depth: 27.5" (26")
Transom Height: 25" (20")
Deadrise: 16° (14°)
Weight: 1530 dry, unloaded (1060, 1200 max)
Min/Max HP: 115/200 (115 max)
Fuel: 40 gal (38 gal)

Obviously the Lund will have all sorts of things most NW people don't want (that I do), like 3 batteries, two large livewells, bow-mount electric, 12v receptacles all over, seven drink holders, rod lockers that are way too small for the fishing we do, storage all over the place.

Nobody has suggested to use this Lund to go up rapids. Nobody will. Still, I don't think anybody need fear fishing out of a Tyee vs the Stryker for everything else we do out here.

#43 ·
The Tyee, The Fisherman, The Pro Sport all very capable river boats. I've added a few goodies to mine - Anchor nest and a fish box bigger than some off shore boats I've been on at 4' x 17" x 12".

The Rho Boat - she floats

#44 ·
HEY! I think I've seen you out there.

We riveted boaters don't get no respect! Try owning a Smoker Craft, the "Red Headed Stepchild" of the riveted boat family it would seem.

I look at the Lunds and love em', would have one but they were to darn much $$$.

Smj

#46 ·
Thank you for all the comments, I do appricate them all. Currently i have an 18.5 tyee (identical to joe shome boat). That said, when i load the wife, two kids and all the STUFF that they need it is more than tight. I have been considering a new lund sport angler (more dance floor, easier boat to fish out of with the family, and easier to store.) I'm also considering a new weldcraft Maverick or something similar. Pros about this are a little more safe in big water, more room, better canvas and over all tougher. :doh:

#48 ·
Sport Angler - that is the Fishermen hull with the windshield moved forward? I'd take a rid in it first, they do not ride as nice as the original fishermen or so I have heard. One issue with Lund now is the requirement to have a Mercury O/B. Nothing wrong with that but the Verado needs electronic fly by wire controls - they are cool but they add a lot of expense enspecially in the 150hp area.

The boat I'm looking at to replace this on is a 20' Alumaweld Blackhawk or an older 20' Intruder with an extended transom. I don't like the current Intruder where they cut the transom down for the kicker - sort of defeats the purpose of an ET.

#51 ·
Go with whatever boat keeps you from wanting something else.

Buyers remorse is the problem you never want to have.

They all look good, fish good, etc. Being from the NW I run a welded boat, but I have several friends who kill lots of fish in riveted, fiberglass, and even a thunderjet lol

#53 ·
Thanks guys! Think I'm test driving a lund sport angler and a weldcraft Maverick this weekend.

I would assume the ride would not be as nice in sport Angler compaired to the tyee as they pushed the windshield forward. All this boat talk and shopping will make a man take up golf in a hurry

#58 ·
I have an 1800 Fisherman and love it! Have fished from bouy 10 to Kettle Falls on the columbia with it and find it works well for all kinds of fishing. If I were to look for another boat I would think reel hard on what type of fishing i would be doing the most. I find I do all kinds of fishing from jigging for walleye to sturgeon fishing. The lund is not for running (on step) shallow water neither is some other deep v hulls. I have a canvas that covers the entire bow that snaps on in minutes if I feel that I might be taking waves over the bow and only used it once in Astoria. Never did get it wet. I was on the Bonnie pool last weekend when the wind picked up and all was good. I do wish at times that I had more room in the back because of the live wells but many times I can stand on them since they are low to step on. Never have any problems with water over the back even anchored with the stern against the waves. One of the main reasons I picked the Lund is the weight capacity of the boat, which can be read on the coast Guard plate. I found that Lund has a higher weight capacity then most boats for comparable size. If you have anymore questions I would be glad to answer them. :flag2:

#60 · (Edited)
I own a 19.5' Fisher with a Deep V hull. Very similar to a Lund. It's a welded boat. My only complaint is there's not much room in the back while trolling. I've fished it around the PDX area and also down at B10. The deep V handles the more "tempermental" water down there quite well. Also the splash well is HUGE! Just not a fan of using it for storage. I would own a Mid-west boat again out here. Quite a versatile boat IMO.

#65 ·
Had mine out in some rough stuff on the CR. Several times had a string of welded boats follow me in, right in my prop wash - pretty funny really. There are a lot of things I like about welded boats and there are a lot of things I like about my Lund. There are a lot of things I like about my friends Gradys and my buddies with the off shore cats (Team Cattywompus).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.