Forschner Knives - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Forschner Knives

Down in the kitchen a few minutes ago, touching up some blades and found that my Forschner, 10 inch, had some serious damage. I cut off three tuna heads with that part of the blade last weekend and that's about it. The cutting edge is bent/chipped in several places. Yea, I can make it sharp but with continued use, it's not going to be a knife that'll last a long time. Is this common or do I have a bad blade?

Thanks.

DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
ron m
King Salmon

Default Re: Forschner Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Down in the kitchen a few minutes ago, touching up some blades and found that my Forschner, 10 inch, had some serious damage. I cut off three tuna heads with that part of the blade last weekend and that's about it. The cutting edge is bent/chipped in several places. Yea, I can make it sharp but with continued use, it's not going to be a knife that'll last a long time. Is this common or do I have a bad blade?

Thanks.
IMO, regular blades are not designed for cutting off tuna heads, ya gotta cut through bone. I suggest a heavy duty serrated blade for cutting off the heads. I have one my crew calls the "tuna saw", works good for cutting thru bone.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
JerryM
Ifish Nate

Google fish splitter. Looks like a heavy machette. Works awesome for tuna.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
wthr4d
Sturgeon

Forschner makes good knives but the metal is a little softer than hammered drop forged knives. Using the stamped steel allows them to make lighter more flexible blades but you sacrifice the hardness. If you want to cut a tuna head off then I would recommend something like what Ron M is talking about.

TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!
wthr4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Bob5292
Steelhead

I just got back from Hawaii and everyone seemed to be using fish splitters over there. I don't need much excuse to buy another knife so I ordered one of the Dexter Russells from an online restaurant supply place for $38 shipped. Now I just need to get some tuna to test her out on.

Bob
Bob5292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
ChrisCurtis
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob5292 View Post
I just got back from Hawaii and everyone seemed to be using fish splitters over there. I don't need much excuse to buy another knife so I ordered one of the Dexter Russells from an online restaurant supply place for $38 shipped. Now I just need to get some tuna to test her out on.

Bob
hey, that looks just like MY tuna carking knife!

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent.
ChrisCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
fishandcrawl
Chromer

That sani-safe looks a lot like my forschner 10" #40638, haven't had any problems with it. Also have a couple Sani-safes seem like good knives.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
CCollar
Coho

On a side note, there isn't any need to cut through the backbone at the head of a tuna.

Make your cut behind the pectoral fins down to the backbone, and a cut underneath the gill plate up toward the backbone. Then grab the head and pull -- the head breaks off and the guts come out.

Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeiI1T7uu0o

Craig

Quote:

Thanks.
CCollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
adobe wall
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCollar View Post
On a side note, there isn't any need to cut through the backbone at the head of a tuna.

Make your cut behind the pectoral fins down to the backbone, and a cut underneath the gill plate up toward the backbone. Then grab the head and pull -- the head breaks off and the guts come out.

Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeiI1T7uu0o

Craig

Yep. No reason to cut through the vertebrae on a fish, too easy to cut to the vertebrae, all the way around, then twist the head off. Or pull as described above. If you practice just a bit it's easy enough to slip the blade between the vertebrae at the apex joint and then it's even less work.

No need to take the head off a tuna anyways unless you are just saving it for crab bait.

Going to cark a few now..

aw
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Thanks for all the useful responses. I can make the proper adjustments.

The blade in question is the 40638. I really like the knife as it's so easy to maintain the edge when I don't abuse it as I guess I'd been doing. Everything has it's purpose and limits.

Thanks for the video, I've watched it a few times. My problem is work injuries that have reduced my gripping power over the years and I'd don't have the strength in my hands to do some things as easily as other folks. A little more practice will probably have some benefit.

I will invest in the Dexter Russell. Thanks for the reference.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
My problem is work injuries that have reduced my gripping power over the years and I'd don't have the strength in my hands to do some things as easily as other folks.
My hands are busted up from work too and Vicky gave me a catfish skinning pliers for pulling the skin off and it helps.

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
edsr

Pulling the skin off is really much harder when they are fresh, left overnight on ice it is much easier
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

DogZ. As mentioned by others, I use a combination of a couple knives. I Use a fairly heavy serrated knife for cutting bones etc. I use a heavy butcher knife for most of the cutting, and then a long straight knife for a final trim to take a thin outside layer off of the loins. All Forschner, all many years old, and all holding up well.

I fish because that's what the voices in my head tell me to do.
Reel Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
the_dude
Tuna!

for bigger tougher fish ive found that using my hunting knives work really well. it makes quick work of the bones and such. just my two cents tho
Old 08-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
DogZilla15
King Salmon

EDSR. So true about sitting overnight and getting the skin off. Another trick is to cut a slit in the skin to stick your finger through. No slip.

RO. Yea, I switch knives depending on the task and sharpness of the edge. Cutting against a cutting board and not the stainless surface saves blades.

Some amazing (wasteful) entertainment at cleaning stations watching folks ruin good fillets simply because they won't ask, "please show me how you do that?"
Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
jcft2007
Chromer

Having owned both Forshner and Dexter Russell for almost 25 years, those knives are still in good shape. Never had any major problems with them.

I must say those newport and other cleaning stations are HORRIBLE on knife edges though!!!!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE YOU TUBE VIDEO on fish cleaning!! Even I learned something today!!

Joel
jcft2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Paddler
Ifish Nate

I use those Dexter Russel fish splitters (112 12H), and follow the technique in the video. The knives would be better if they were more pointed at the tip, as making the cut to free up the skin before pulling it off is harder than it should be. All in all, they work pretty well.