IFish Fishing Forum banner

Alsea unit map??

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  duck22 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am looking to get a good detailed map of the Alsea unit roads. I have the Oregon Atlas book but I'm hoping to find something better. I tried printing the odfw map but it's not the greatest. Any help is appreciated thanks!

#3 ·
What he said. The RAMS maps of all the units are great, Alsea unit included. I don't know where I'd be without mine. USGS also has many good topo maps of the quadrants in the Alsea, if you are looking for something to really get your head around specific tracts of terrain. Between the RAMS map for roads, and the USGS maps of specific areas, you can get the lay of the land real well before you hunt it.

#6 ·
Thanks all for the info, I stopped by a forest station in between yahacts and waldport last Saturday and they were closed, I will check out the Rams maps and the Usgs maps. Being in Beaverton it makes it tough to get to the forest offices if they are only open M-F. Thanks again for the help!

#7 ·
Also go by and take a look at the Oregon Department of Forestry map at their office just outside of Philomath. Great map the the Alsea unit.

#8 ·
Great point, Blacktail. Don't they also have that private land use map, with the color codes for all the Starker and Thompson forest patches, and the BLM patches as well? I bought one of those a few years ago, I believe it cost me around seven bucks. Great investment, particularly if you plan to hunt on some of those private lands. Of course you've got to remember to get permission!

#11 ·
The Corvallis USGS office doesn't have maps and told me to check out their maps online. Waldport Ranger office has very few maps and only what they provide for mushroomers. As RS2G points out, there are great maps on the USGS website free for downloading and can be printed on tyvek paper. They look great on my iPad as well.

One other map that was discussed is the Oregon Forestry Map, Western Oregon Protection District. It's been out of print (and stock) for several years but it's available again and seems to be printed on tyvek! Still $6 from ODF (not ODFW). The 2011 version has better color coding of state/timber ownership, but still too big to carry in the field and travel management areas are not defined. These are great for the "Big picture" but don't include TOPO.

#14 ·
Thanks, does anyone know if the odf will mail me a map of the timber companies? I am going to call the Salem office tomorrow and see. Are they available to view online anywhere? I'm looking for the south Alsea map area so the ones on the odfw map leave my area out. Looking for like big creek and klickitat mtn area for now. :)

#16 ·
Thanks, does anyone know if the odf will mail me a map of the timber companies? I am going to call the Salem office tomorrow and see. Are they available to view online anywhere? I'm looking for the south Alsea map area so the ones on the odfw map leave my area out. Looking for like big creek and klickitat mtn area for now. :)
The Klickitat mtn area is just south and outside the ODF map with the timber companies. The ODF map for that area does not show timber companies. I would call the ODF Philomath office if you would still like to get the Alsea timber company map just north of the area your looking for. The map starts just north of your area (Klickitat mtn) to McMinnville.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.