The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #661
jfisher
Tuna!

Default Re: The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread... 'Springa-Time!!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
same story every year, everyone is so excited for springer season to arrive, it finally does and it is a solid 2 months of complaining, lol! there is NO pleasing springer fishermen.

Yes it is the same story every year. That's because March is NOT springer season.

I don't complain about no fish showing because I don't expect any until the last week of March if then? If springer fisherman are tired of no fish in March, they need to change their expectations or work to get a season during the season.

I bet if you gave springer fishermen a season during the season they would be happier. You are a winter steelhead guy aren't you Rossevelt. How about closing all rivers December 31 for all winter steelhead fishing?

Do you think fall chinook fisherman would be happy if the the season closed on August 1?

Wouldn't be to many fall fish caught in July, would there?.....Same comparison!

Last edited by jfisher; 03-13-2014 at 01:04 PM.
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #662
Rusty Stern
Tuna!

Quote:
you mean damn? damn, people on here need to learn how to spell simple words
Where can I get some dam bait?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Rusty Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #663
freezerpet
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
Yes it is the same story every year. That's because March is NOT springer season.

I don't complain about no fish showing because I don't expect any until the last week of March if then? If springer fisherman are tired of no fish in March, they need to change their expectations or work to get a season during the season.

I bet if you gave springer fishermen a season during the season they would be happier. You are a winter steelhead guy aren't you Rossevelt. How about closing all rivers December 31 for all winter steelhead fishing?

Do you think fall chinook fisherman would be happy if the the season closed on August 1?

Wouldn't be to many fall fish caught in July, would there?.....Same comparison!
April is definitely a safer bet for springers but the fact is that weather rules the run. We have had SOLID fishing in March many, many years.

I am in to win, fishing hard, starting tomorrow afternoon. Dropping water, less that 1/2 inch of rain in any given 24 hour period and fish will be caught. Oh and one other thing, the reward is early fish, they are normally larger than the peak run fish. All good!
freezerpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #664
truckman1966
Cutthroat

Ill be on the Cowlitz with a few buddies. Hoping to see some springers coming up that way, otherwise we'll be happy to get some steelies in the boat.
truckman1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #665
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerpet View Post
April is definitely a safer bet for springers but the fact is that weather rules the run. We have had SOLID fishing in March many, many years.

I am in to win, fishing hard, starting tomorrow afternoon. Dropping water, less that 1/2 inch of rain in any given 24 hour period and fish will be caught. Oh and one other thing, the reward is early fish, they are normally larger than the peak run fish. All good!

If this works for you, great! It seems to work for a lot of guys and I have learned to lower my expectations too. But you get what you get in March and it is NOT always SOLID fishing, sometimes it is very poor fishing throughout the river.

How's that SOLID fishing working out for you so far? If you are scoring 2-3 fish a day in the mud I would love a lesson.

Its different strokes for differentt folks! If you like spending lots of time on the river with little success, there is nothing wrong with that. I will often go when I know there is very little chance for success. But couldn't that low success fishing be accomplished Jan-March retaining steelhead only?

Yes, some guys choose to complain about the season, and some choose to complain about the complainers.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #666
JuniorMiller
Fry

Now I could be wrong, but this to me looks like a Springer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish4.jpg (12.2 KB, 1636 views)

Last edited by JuniorMiller; 03-13-2014 at 03:19 PM.
JuniorMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #667
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
You are a winter steelhead guy aren't you Rossevelt. How about closing all rivers December 31 for all winter steelhead fishing?
i'm a coastal fisherman, the comparison would be close the Columbia for steelhead Dec 31, still wouldn't effect me the key aspect you are leaving out is making it seem like the Columbia is the only river that gets springers. the Columbia closes, but springer fishing doesn't on April 15th. it's just one fishery out of many, even though it's a big fishery.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #668
sauger
Fry

looks like a springer to me!
sauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #669
freezerpet
Steelhead

Quote:
If this works for you, great! It seems to work for a lot of guys and I have learned to lower my expectations too. But you get what you get in March and it is NOT always SOLID fishing, sometimes it is very poor fishing throughout the river.

How's that SOLID fishing working out for you so far? If you are scoring 2-3 fish a day in the mud I would love a lesson.

Its different strokes for differentt folks! If you like spending lots of time on the river with little success, there is nothing wrong with that. I will often go when I know there is very little chance for success. But couldn't that low success fishing be accomplished Jan-March retaining steelhead only?

Yes, some guys choose to complain about the season, and some choose to complain about the complainers.

Clarification ... Solid fishing in past years in the month of March. Your right thus far its been a bust, due to the weather. But it is still just the 13th, two weeks left and it looks promising or should I say worthwhile. If a guy can get a fish or two for every 4-6 trips out that is good fishing in the spring. 2-3 fish days are epic and rare for prolonged periods in any fishery. People who only like limits fisheries are missing it in my opinion. Catching one big pig in the tidewater at Tillamook vs. silvers non-stop at B10...big pigs, thats my pref. I fish a lot and my son and have a "one and done" policy in effect often just because its not about the #'s or Lbs. BTW, it just fun to talk/write about fishing. Enjoying the give and take. have a good one.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #670
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Might be? Could be over rated?
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #671
duckslayer
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerpet View Post
Clarification ... Solid fishing in past years in the month of March. Your right thus far its been a bust, due to the weather. But it is still just the 13th, two weeks left and it looks promising or should I say worthwhile. If a guy can get a fish or two for every 4-6 trips out that is good fishing in the spring. 2-3 fish days are epic and rare for prolonged periods in any fishery. People who only like limits fisheries are missing it in my opinion. Catching one big pig in the tidewater at Tillamook vs. silvers non-stop at B10...big pigs, thats my pref. I fish a lot and my son and have a "one and done" policy in effect often just because its not about the #'s or Lbs. BTW, it just fun to talk/write about fishing. Enjoying the give and take. have a good one.
Not saying anything bad here, but if you think 2-3 fish springer days are epic, you should probably change what you're doing. That is a slow day when there are decent #'s of fish.
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #672
mainer
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronictrout2992 View Post
that's a steelhead. dam people on here need to learn how to identify fish

Wow. Sorry. Just asking a question. Kinda new to all this. But since your so nice. Maybe you could give me some pointers.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #673
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
Not saying anything bad here, but if you think 2-3 fish springer days are epic, you should probably change what you're doing. That is a slow day when there are decent #'s of fish.

Yes, when there are decent numbers of fish 2-3 days are NOT epic. That would be a slow day wobbler fishing and that would be a slow day for springers from April 20th on. Bigger days are even quite possible the last couple weeks of our current season.

"A fish or two every 4-6 trips" may be good fishing for the winter, but NOT for the spring. Spring chinook season is April-June by the way not Jan-March.

I totally get where some are coming from, you don't always have to fill the boat full of fish to have a great time. I just worry that the DFW's are getting us so dumbed down that many of us don't really know what the expectations for good fishing should be. I offer a lot open seats, and I know a lot of the new guys I take out have absolutely no idea what is possible and even probable if the river was managed for sportsman.

If we are content with sub par fishing, that is exactly what the DFW's will be THRILLED to give us.

Please do not think this is as good as it gets.

Last edited by jfisher; 03-13-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #674
JuniorMiller
Fry

No need to be sorry Mainer. His comment came after my post of a steelhead pic and he assumed that I didn't know it wasn't a springer because I didn't write it was a steelhead. I just wanted to post it because it's just nice to see fish in general right now. We were all new at this at some point and some have just been doing it longer than others. I'm always looking for pointers on everything.
JuniorMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #675
danv187
Tuna!

Quote:
same story every year, everyone is so excited for springer season to arrive, it finally does and it is a solid 2 months of complaining, lol! there is NO pleasing springer fishermen.

on a side note, some cool pictures of some giant steelhead being posted up on the dam cam!

Being that Springer season opens January 1 and is currently scheduled to close April 7 (not including extensions). I think there may be some validity to their complaints. Some guys can afford to burn gas all day and, who knows you could win the lottery and bonk one.

Last year we were already seeing fish going over Bonnie daily first week of march. Conditions are tough this year and its a late return. The flip side to this situation gentlemen is, that we are sure to get extensions on the season and, fishing in mid-late April can be off the hook.

Save up your sick days @ work guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
danv187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #676
Freakwater
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danv187 View Post
Being that Springer season opens January 1 and is currently scheduled to close April 7 (not including extensions). I think there may be some validity to their complaints.
But look at all the OPPORTUNITY we have!

Freakwater
Freakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #677
Wreckless
King Salmon

It's getting pretty deep here!

March has been a good month in the past because the river CLOSED before April. That was IF it was open at all.

I heard a good guide say a "late" run is usually a weak run. BUT, I'll say again, there WILL be a week of good fishing starting FRIDAY the 28th!!!!! I go in for surgery Thursday the 27th!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #678
plunkero1
Steelhead

Does anyone have any reports around longview area. I'm thinking of hitting the bank at willow grove in the morning but if its not fishable then ill head to the cowlitz instead. A friend of mine bonked two 14lb steelies this morning on the cowlitz fishing for springers
plunkero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #679
defwhitepony
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post

March has been a good month in the past because the river CLOSED before April. That was IF it was open at all.

I heard a good guide say a "late" run is usually a weak run. BUT, I'll say again, there WILL be a week of good fishing starting FRIDAY the 28th!!!!! I go in for surgery Thursday the 27th!

Key word being the "past". How long ago was that btw?? I can't remember back that far.

defwhitepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #680
defwhitepony
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunkero1 View Post
Does anyone have any reports around longview area. I'm thinking of hitting the bank at willow grove in the morning but if its not fishable then ill head to the cowlitz instead. A friend of mine bonked two 14lb steelies this morning on the cowlitz fishing for springers

Hit the cow

Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #681
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by defwhitepony View Post
Key word being the "past". How long ago was that btw?? I can't remember back that far.

I can't remember either!

I just realized this thread is 9 WEEKS + OLD!!!!!!!

Maybe the run is over

Old 03-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #682
defwhitepony
Chromer

Quote:
I can't remember either!

I just realized this thread is 9 WEEKS + OLD!!!!!!!

Maybe the run is over

Oh boy... If you can't remember then we're really in trouble.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #683
Take EM
Cutthroat

I thought this thread was for springer reports
Take EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #684
Timber Tech
Tuna!

Well guys, for all the complaining, I will make a bold prediction. Going to actually break out the net Saturday. Not sure what I will do with it but it's coming out.
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #685
wack0
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take EM View Post
Ditto. Sounds like a bunch of grumpy old fisher folds debating the same thing over and over. Bet last years "report thread" had the same "No BS "reports this time of year.
My report..no BS... boat is still tarped over but getting things ready for the end of March.
Go fish!!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #686
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
You are right, but there are no Springers to report yet.
Relax, they are coming - we hope !
RiverJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #687
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
CORRECT SIR!.....These are the kind of reports you are going to get a good portion of the time in February and March, just fisherman's social time!

Pretty special huh?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #688
Timber Tech
Tuna!

That is what the acutal official thread was for. The rest of us with nothing to report are here reporting that there is nothing to report yet.....still a report if you read between the lines.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #689
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
That is what the acutal official thread was for. The rest of us with nothing to report are here reporting that there is nothing to report yet.....still a report if you read between the lines.

The report is "There is nothing to report"... So just chill ! Tie hooks, or...

Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #690
freezerpet
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
2-3 fish when you fish 2-3 people and the limit is one per person.... you are correct that is not epic, its something else.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #691
Swifty27
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorMiller View Post
Now I could be wrong, but this to me looks like a Springer.
Nah, early fall run.

Scent from phone via Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #692
Timber Tech
Tuna!

Epic springer fishermen like myself won't settle for "limit" days....duh...that's not epic! We only catch fish on triple limit days. That's why we haven't caught any yet.... No triple limit days...
Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #693
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
i'm a coastal fisherman, the comparison would be close the Columbia for steelhead Dec 31, still wouldn't effect me the key aspect you are leaving out is making it seem like the Columbia is the only river that gets springers. the Columbia closes, but springer fishing doesn't on April 15th. it's just one fishery out of many, even though it's a big fishery.
NO!..... You don't get it Roosevelt!

The comparison is close ALL tributaries December 31 before the run gets there. The winter steelhead run on the Columbia is miniscule, not a fair comparison to your river is it?(If you want to make more a little more fair, we could say the creeks that feed your river would still be open for retention.)

If the Columbia closes for springers on April 7. Why shouldn't your river close on December 31?

How's that sounding to you?

Please don't tell me you would complain about that!

PS.

I am a fan of your posts, you are BIG steelhead catchin kinda guy. Just trying to bring it a little closer to home to you.

Last edited by jfisher; 03-13-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #694
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
NO!..... You don't get it Roosevelt!

The comparison is close ALL tributaries December 31 before the run gets there. The winter steelhead run on the Columbia is miniscule, not a fair comparison to your river is it?(If you want to make more a little more fair, we could say the creeks that feed your river would still be open for retention.)

If the Columbia closes for springers on April 7. Why shouldn't your river close on December 31?

How's that sounding to you?

Please don't tell me you would complain about that!

PS.

I am a fan of your posts, you are BIG steelhead catchin kinda guy. Just trying to bring it a little closer to home to you.
I understand, but they can close any river they want, I will go somewhere else without complaining and keep at it. i'm a springer guy too, I just don't do much of it, it's a meat fishery for me. I try to go 5 times a year and kill 10, then move on to summer steelhead, which I enjoy chasing. all Chinook fisheries attract too many people for me.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #695
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Oh boy... If you can't remember then we're really in trouble.

Ok, now I remem...............never mind.

THIS THREAD IS AWESOME!!!!! MARCH SPRINGER MADNESS!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #696
NF122
Tuna!

Catapillar 6 boats no love. Water sucks but nice weather. No bs.
NF122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #697
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
I understand, but they can close any river they want, I will go somewhere else without complaining and keep at it. i'm a springer guy too, I just don't do much of it, it's a meat fishery for me. I try to go 5 times a year and kill 10, then move on to summer steelhead, which I enjoy chasing. all Chinook fisheries attract too many people for me.
5 times a year and kill ten.....Wouldn't that be be nice!

I get your point of view Roosevelt. But what if you fished 5 trips for springers and got 0-1 fish?

What if there was no place else to fish because ALLl runs closed BEFORE the run actually started........What then?

You either take a stand, or accept less, and less, and less, and less.

Just as soon as you are accepting of less, that is exactly what the powers that be will give you.

Last edited by jfisher; 03-13-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #698
not too much
Chromer

Well, it appears all that hospital and work hasn't cost me too much, but the boat is ready and "on the tarmak, awaiting the order". I'll be thinking up some devious rigs, so when they get here, I can, at least, give 'em some sore lips!
not too much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #699
Ursus_Piscator
Fry

Made a few passes on Catapiller last night. Lots of junk in the water (sealions included). maybe 6 inches of clairity. Nada. Two other boats with me. One fished all day saw 20 boats, no fish... Any day now... going back sat and sunday. Anyone have a chinook call?
Ursus_Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #700
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
I get your point of view Roosevelt. But what if you fished 5 trips for springers and got 0-1 fish?

What if there was no place else to fish because all runs closed BEFORE the run actually started........What then?

You either take a stand, or accept less, and less, and less, and less.

Just as soon as you are accepting of less, that is exactly what the powers that be will give you.
it is frustrating for you guys I can imagine, it sounds like it gets worse further up the Columbia. you could always branch out a bit, and start learning and banking on other spring Chinook opportunities. I think that is your only option if you want to enjoy some good days and stock the freezer.

the Willamette will offer some decent fishing soon, as will the Cowlitz and several other tribs semi local to you. I understand being upset being cut short on what it sounds like to be one of your favorite fisheries... it is just stuff we have to deal with, it's happening all over, opportunities are being taken away, not expanded. I just try to enjoy the opportunity I do have.

I guess I was a bit misleading thinking about it, I will likely springer fish a lot of days this year. next month all of the steelhead rivers close where I will be working, so my after work activities will be plunking for rogue river springers, and I will be getting skunked more days than not, but it still beats taking up drinking
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #701
cronictrout2992
Coho

Quote:
you mean damn? damn, people on here need to learn how to spell simple words
oh sorry dude missed the N its ok though ill go back and edit it for you
cronictrout2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #702
defwhitepony
Chromer

Quote:
Ok, now I remem...............never mind.

THIS THREAD IS AWESOME!!!!! MARCH SPRINGER MADNESS!!!!!!

Seriously.. Does anyone remember the last time we had a "good" run that ended before April?

Old 03-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #703
Something Good
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Seriously.. Does anyone remember the last time we had a "good" run that ended before April?

The run never ends before April but this time last year there were a lot more reports with pictures of fish and a lot less complaining.

"If you see a good fight get in it" Reverand Vernon Johns
Something Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #704
Smalma
Steelhead

Just for fun I actually went back to the "2013 Official Springer thread" and looked at the reports for 3/10 through 3/14. As we now know 2013 was not a good year for upriver springers (lowest Bonneville counts in 5 or 6 years) and there were only reports on the thread of 19 hatchery springers (quite a few wild as well) for those 5 days.

This year same period - zip!

Don't know what that means but there was lots of complaining about the poor fishing. The water temp was 43, and smelt were being found in the bellies of some of the fish.

Curt
Smalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #705
xstreme357
Sturgeon

What an amazing thread!! Full of useful information and positive responses! Thanks guys!! You guys rock! I was losing faith in the site but has been restored tenfold!! Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement!!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #706
Timber Tech
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstreme357 View Post
What an amazing thread!! Full of useful information and positive responses! Thanks guys!! You guys rock! I was losing faith in the site but has been restored tenfold!! Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement!!
Use herring, you'll get them tiger!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #707
xstreme357
Sturgeon

Thanks, sport! I've seen your posts Timber, they're good.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #708
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
opportunities are being taken away, not expanded.

Exactly my point!!

This has been steadily happening with our fisheries as well as politically in this country. The powers that be in our fisheries have, and will continue to cut you back for their own job security and political agenda.

Nationally there are powers that be that would love to get rid of or drastically water down the constitution for the exact same reason.

We are at a point in our history where we either step up and take a stand for what we believe in or lose it. If you accept everything your leaders give you, you will end up with nothing!

This is my last word on this tangent, but I am not going to apologize for a tangent on springer report thread in March.

Without fisherman's social time and tangents, this thread would be bare!

On a brighter note, I am predicting there will be several multiple fish days before the closer, the fish will show eventually......See, I can be positive once in a while.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #709
Timber Tech
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstreme357 View Post
Thanks, sport! I've seen your posts Timber, they're good.
Yours to man, just wanted to get you back fired up on them springers. Get the nets out....tomorrow's going to be a good one.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #710
Fishslayer76
Coho

Thumbs up Re: The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread... 'Springa-Time!!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
Yours to man, just wanted to get you back fired up on them springers. Get the nets out....tomorrow's going to be a good one.
Sheesh... U sound like a bunch of old women who don't know crap !! If u have nothing to report start a different thread called the "whine asses thread " !! Fished Davis yesterday 6-2 with 4 rods with no action, 40 -50 boats and no nets flying and 3 fur bags! Any day now ...
Fishslayer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #711
bendavis
Steelhead

I believe that it is spring, and the rivers are up, and they are unpredictable, gosh darn mother nature. These fish have evolved to have extra body fat to combat the tougher conditions they face to get up the river. I am going to go take a 43.5 degree shower right now and then go back preping gear for an awesome April.
bendavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #712
Slow Ride Willie
Steelhead

Every other week I take the brother in law , who is disabled out for lunch or a drive. First I went and got my pass for the wild life area on the island,so hopefully I can use it here soon. Gilbert river. So for our drive I drove to the Gilbert launch , no surprise you can,t get to it. Water is pretty deep across the road. Bank anglers are out at the beginning the gravel road. Just thought I,d share this. Was a nice day for a drive.
Slow Ride Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #713
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

I just got around and looked outside and the sky isn't falling yet...

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #714
HighSlacker
Steelhead

Although I was gonna wait till next week we're hitting it today for a shakedown cruise around Kalama. Let you know how it goes. The reason for fish last year at this time (we had 3 keepers by now) and none now is the river was good in early March last year and its been epically blown out with nobody fishing his year so far. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
HighSlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #715
Fish it
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Ride Willie View Post
Every other week I take the brother in law , who is disabled out for lunch or a drive. First I went and got my pass for the wild life area on the island,so hopefully I can use it here soon. Gilbert river. So for our drive I drove to the Gilbert launch , no surprise you can,t get to it. Water is pretty deep across the road. Bank anglers are out at the beginning the gravel road. Just thought I,d share this. Was a nice day for a drive.
Thanks, SLOW RIDE W. I was wondering if that ramp was submerged. I appreciate the intel. I did assume it was not looking good after I saw the pictures of the Willamette at the I-205 bridge.
Fish it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #716
JWB
Fry

I don't know any fisherman that fish in Feb. with the expectations of great catch odds. With water levels at 12 - 13 ft. visibility at 12 inches or less above the Willamette which is turning out chocolate milk opportunities are less than limited. Add in no fish passage over Bonneville these fish don't spawn till late summer so they migrate at their own speed, March is the new Feb. Even as poor as last year was this year shapes up to be even tougher. A two third allocation one third hold back to me sets up for by the time water drops and clears and the fish start showing (which they will eventually) we will have likely get a down grade to the run estimate, and even more limits on sport harvest. Fish hard the dropping water, be there when the fish show, things are conspiring to make this an off year. BUT I COULD BE WRONG, I HOPE
JWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #717
danv187
Tuna!

Default The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread... 'Springa-Time!!'

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Good View Post
The run never ends before April but this time last year there were a lot more reports with pictures of fish and a lot less complaining.

Who's confused here?

danv187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #718
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhdr1 View Post
I just got around and looked outside and the sky isn't falling yet...

Keith
Yep !!

Last year everyone was sitting on their thumbs twirling just the same as this year.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #719
bonjoevi2000
Chromer

Fished near Oregon city yesterday,nada. Saw a steely landed at Meldrum. Love having a pump as I was able to launch at Meldrum in less than ideal conditions. Of course a couple trucks/cars had to move outta the way. Its still a boat launch everyone ,not a parking lot.
Everyday is Christmas,Every meal is Thanksgiving. Ironworker Local#29
bonjoevi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #720
Rykat
Steelhead

OC, Sportscraft Marina launch today. Look at that. We're getting closer to green water. You can reach the dock and launch. You might even find some softer water in a few places by Monday. Oops, forgot to add this: 2 boats launched and were headed to the Clackamas for steelhead. Nobody was springer fishing. Nobody in any popular hogline areas. There, no bs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0328.jpg (35.7 KB, 795 views)

Last edited by Rykat; 03-14-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Rykat is offline   Reply With Quote