Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #61
sundaze
Coho
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific City
Posts: 86
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob allen View Post
It should be illegal to ship American raw natural resources to other countries . whether it be timber,fish , coal or wheat
Suppose you had 10 acres of nice timber say 70k per acre, that's 700,000 bd ft as your nest egg. Something comes up, medical emergency or other emergency and you have the opportunity to log it and the export price is 850- while the domestic mkt will pay 420. Export and you gross $585k sell domestic and your gross is $294, what would you personally do with your nest egg?

sundaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #62
Freakwater
Sturgeon
 
Freakwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: vancouver, wa
Posts: 3,868
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Heck, if somebody can make a buck off needlessly burning 20 cents of bunker fuel for every lb. of fish/chicken and outsourcing American jobs to China, go for it. Profit above all other considerations is the new American way. Absolutely needless pollution for profit. Weeee!

Freakwater
Freakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #63
Danno
Ifish Nate
 
Danno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Posts: 3,197
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney1 View Post
Take note Americans! If you are not a "business owner" you are a drag on the economy, you are a , gasp, a tax! You are a welfare case! Please line up at the nearest extermination site and save the country and it's "business owners" from your obvious drain on society!

That's not at all what I said. There are plenty of jobs but unfortunately they are not at high enough wage. Strengthen the economy and wages will go up and businesses like this one can continue to provide a more economical price and offer healthy food to those that could not afford it under the social program of forcing the business to process the salmon here
__________________
Team Arima!
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #64
Root Hog or Die
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: pdx
Posts: 1,055
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Suppose you had 10 acres of nice timber say 70k per acre, that's 700,000 bd ft as your nest egg. Something comes up, medical emergency or other emergency and you have the opportunity to log it and the export price is 850- while the domestic mkt will pay 420. Export and you gross $585k sell domestic and your gross is $294, what would you personally do with your nest egg?
A small price to pay to guarantee Americans get to be the ones to pick pin bones out of salmon.
Root Hog or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #65
BigRodney1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 1,252
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
That's not at all what I said. There are plenty of jobs but unfortunately they are not at high enough wage. Strengthen the economy and wages will go up and businesses like this one can continue to provide a more economical price and offer healthy food to those that could not afford it under the social program of forcing the business to process the salmon here
That is exactly what you posted. How do you suggest we "strengthen the economy" and increase wages?
BigRodney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #66
fishsnake21
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pulls View Post
I am sure that the Chinese are working for far less than $10 an hour, but you do score a BINGO in with the social commentary. You covered Unemployment, Disability, and food stamps accusations all in a thread started about China processing our fish. I just do not understand the anger or the need to allow it into every conversation, by your comment it's pretty apparent that you haven't even read the article.







Not one thing about people here not wanting to do the work, the companies just want to increase profits and not pay American wages. But hey, you won't see the cost of fish going down at the retail level.
So is that the same reason local farmers have to hire illegal immigrants to do all the work that Americans used to do? I don't thinks so. The government has made it too easy to not work and go on welfare. I know people that live a much more luxurious lifestyle than me and they are on welfare, foodstamps, unemployment, and whatever else free handouts they can get.
fishsnake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #67
rob allen
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 5,486
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Suppose you had 10 acres of nice timber say 70k per acre, that's 700,000 bd ft as your nest egg. Something comes up, medical emergency or other emergency and you have the opportunity to log it and the export price is 850- while the domestic mkt will pay 420. Export and you gross $585k sell domestic and your gross is $294, what would you personally do with your nest egg?

Doing the right thing is the right thing to do.

1 timberland as an investment in Oregon and Washington is the wrong thing to do because it's always wrong to clearcut it. but that's another issue.

2. If i did log it there is no force on earth that would cause me to sell it to anything other than an American saw mill putting American workers to work.

the right thing to do is the right thing to do even if it hurts me.

the might of the dollar does not make right regardless what stockholders say. The problem with America? too many people willing to do the wrong thing to better their own situation.

is it wrong to make more profit by going overseas and telling American workers to stuff it??? YES!
rob allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #68
BigRodney1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 1,252
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsnake21 View Post
So is that the same reason local farmers have to hire illegal immigrants to do all the work that Americans used to do? I don't thinks so. The government has made it too easy to not work and go on welfare. I know people that live a much more luxurious lifestyle than me and they are on welfare, foodstamps, unemployment, and whatever else free handouts they can get.
Interesting how we look the other way when it comes to illegal labor working in agriculture, agricultural products processing, construction, lawn care, child care, basically any and all low wage job because "we can't get Americans to do these jobs" but when it comes to jobs like doctors, lawyers, engineers, any number of "professional" jobs we become concerned. There are plenty of qualified doctors that would love to come to America and drive the cost of medical care down, why don't we allow illegal doctors to set up shop in the US, hmm, why?
BigRodney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #69
socket985
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 437
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
This is exactly right. The cost of Chinese labor is going up. As their lifestyle climbs we will be exporting products to them if we are smart enough to keep some products manufactured in the US.


And your solution is what, cut food stamps? Then what do you suppose would happen? Do you think all those people without jobs will quietly starve?

What is your proposal to fix the problem?

Last summer while in Yellowstone I read everywhere signs that read don't feed the bears. Why you ask? We don't want them becoming dependent on humans.
I as a high school student paved my own way where 20 years of hard work was required to earn my decent living I figured out all by my self. Every year I worked at improving my situation and won't stop even today.

No one was there to bail me out or hand me state sanctioned never ending hand outs. I was married at 19 with two kids- To get where I am I moved, worked side jobs, learned three skills to fall back on in case of job loss, sold amsoil and learned the skills required to provide for my family. The third kid came along while earning wages as a apprentice mechanic not once did I need state aid. We made it work because I had no choice. Was there times we didn't have car insurance? Yes- was there times we didn't have a lot of food? Yes, was here times our parents helped? Yes it was a village that helped however it was all on me. Nothing went on for years where it didn't work out. All these issues was short term.

The solution of never ending handouts starts with the education system. Our society needs to create a system where the skills people have are identified and developed once everyone reaches there sophomore year in high school. By the time your a high school senior everyone should graduate with a AA or technical degree that has the potential to earn them a job. Every problem has a solution. Every action has a reaction, mine was my hard work earned me a paycheck.


It's what worked for me and there is no reason why it can't work for everyone.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #70
McSteelie
Tuna!
 
McSteelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tigard, Or
Posts: 1,311
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

People talk about the good old days when the capitalists built America. Of course the wealthy were happy and lived in mansions and the workers worked long hours with no overtime and often even children were used. It was a long hard fight to get workers rights and decent pay for an honest days work. It seems many feel they deserve to gather wealth on the backs of the working class and that workers should feel blessed to be able to have a job even if it doesn't even pay enough to live on. These are the capitalists that will destroy this country. Because of those who use capitalism to gain wealth with no regard to social or environmental impact, it must be tempered with regulations and restrictions.

Last edited by McSteelie; 02-26-2014 at 10:55 AM.
McSteelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #71
12pulls
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Just east of Poverty Gulch
Posts: 6,466
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsnake21 View Post
So is that the same reason local farmers have to hire illegal immigrants to do all the work that Americans used to do? I don't thinks so. The government has made it too easy to not work and go on welfare. I know people that live a much more luxurious lifestyle than me and they are on welfare, foodstamps, unemployment, and whatever else free handouts they can get.
Troll post. There are no people living a luxurious life on public assistance other than politicians. I am to trust the veracity of this post especially when it is your first post? Smells like someone made themselves another account to spread lies.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 AM   #72
crabbait
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 30,859
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney1 View Post
Take note Americans! If you are not a "business owner" you are a drag on the economy, you are a , gasp, a tax! You are a welfare case! Please line up at the nearest extermination site and save the country and it's "business owners" from your obvious drain on society!
Seems like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsnake21 View Post
So is that the same reason local farmers have to hire illegal immigrants to do all the work that Americans used to do? I don't thinks so. The government has made it too easy to not work and go on welfare. I know people that live a much more luxurious lifestyle than me and they are on welfare, foodstamps, unemployment, and whatever else free handouts they can get.
It sounds like a lot of people who aren't the least concerned with corporate welfare or banker welfare are very concerned with poor people welfare. Maybe we should issue a star to be worn on the collar for all who collect assistance. That way it would be much easier to round them up when it comes time for internment. I mean, it would be much easier to feed them in nice little camps where we could keep an eye on them, right?
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #73
flywrapper
Chromer
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 757
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Just do what China does.
Charge a 17% "value added tax" VAT on imported finished or manufactured goods
Incentivize selling finished products overseas. 0 income tax to companies for profit on those products.
Problem solved. Level playing field for Americans
flywrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #74
crabbait
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 30,859
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

I've always said that our import/export tariffs should mirror the country we are trading with. They charge 17% entry tax, we charge 17% entry tax. Why not?
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 AM   #75
northfork 9
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: OREGON
Posts: 109
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pulls View Post
Troll post. There are no people living a luxurious life on public assistance other than politicians. I am to trust the veracity of this post especially when it is your first post? Smells like someone made themselves another account to spread lies.
northfork 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #76
Joe C
Sturgeon
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aloha
Posts: 4,608
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywrapper View Post
Just do what China does.
Charge a 17% "value added tax" VAT on imported finished or manufactured goods
Incentivize selling finished products overseas. 0 income tax to companies for profit on those products.
Problem solved. Level playing field for Americans
Unfortunately nobody pays politicians to think this way. Just the opposite. Corporations are people now (they can live much longer than we do, and have only one goal in their existence) they are going to invest in their future.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #77
jfisher
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,705
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
It sounds like a lot of people who aren't the least concerned with corporate welfare or banker welfare are very concerned with poor people welfare. Maybe we should issue a star to be worn on the collar for all who collect assistance. That way it would be much easier to round them up when it comes time for internment. I mean, it would be much easier to feed them in nice little camps where we could keep an eye on them, right?

Incorrect!......I am far more concerned with corruption in the banking system and corporate cronyism.

The topic of the thread however, has to do with work being outsourced. That is directly related to a work force that is not willing to do work, and political policies that make it more profitable to send the work to China.

Make no mistake, just because people speak out against an abused entitlement system does not mean they do not recognize greater corruption of the big guys.
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #78
Danno
Ifish Nate
 
Danno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Posts: 3,197
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
I've always said that our import/export tariffs should mirror the country we are trading with. They charge 17% entry tax, we charge 17% entry tax. Why not?

Okay, let's say we do that. China is doing business with 100 other countries. Guess which direction our sales will go if we start raising our tariffs to China? We are in competition with those 100 countries for China's business one of the fastest and largest growing economies. We would hurt American businesses by increasing our tariffs. I realize that supply, demand and competition are lost on socialists. They always think that legislation and taxes are the answer.

You guys are getting good at throwing out the democratic talking point key words these days. Keep calling all corporations cronies and soon it will stick.
__________________
Team Arima!
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #79
BigRodney1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 1,252
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywrapper View Post
Just do what China does.
Charge a 17% "value added tax" VAT on imported finished or manufactured goods
Incentivize selling finished products overseas. 0 income tax to companies for profit on those products.
Problem solved. Level playing field for Americans
Hold on Hoss! None of that obstructionist tariff talk! In America we want free trade, nobody said anything about fair trade!
BigRodney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #80
jfisher
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,705
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Okay, let's say we do that. China is doing business with 100 other countries. Guess which direction our sales will go if we start raising our tariffs to China? We are in competition with those 100 countries for China's business one of the fastest and largest growing economies. We would hurt American businesses by increasing our tariffs. I realize that supply, demand and competition are lost on socialists. They always think that legislation and taxes are the answer.

You guys are getting good at throwing out the democratic talking point key words these days. Keep calling all corporations cronies and soon it will stick.

The last thing in world I am is a democrat, however if you think corporate cronyism does not exist, you are sadly disillusioned.

Yes, we would be hurting corporate profits by making everything ourselves given our high labor rate in comparison with China.

However if the United States makes and buys its own goods, their will be jobs in the US again. We do not need to trade from China what we can do for ourselves. Yes, corporate profits will go down and the price of goods will go up.

This is clearly the lesser of 2 evils in comparison with printing 85 billion a month of new money to pay for things we cannot afford. Most people do not have a clue how insane the prices of goods will get when the money velocity eventually speeds up and inflation finally finds its way into the system.

Paying more for goods is sustainable, 50% of people on entitlements is not, and weening that many off of suckling from mama is going to take some job creation.

Last edited by jfisher; 02-26-2014 at 07:32 AM.
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #81
crabbait
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 30,859
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Okay, let's say we do that. China is doing business with 100 other countries. Guess which direction our sales will go if we start raising our tariffs to China? We are in competition with those 100 countries for China's business one of the fastest and largest growing economies. We would hurt American businesses by increasing our tariffs. I realize that supply, demand and competition are lost on socialists. They always think that legislation and taxes are the answer.

You guys are getting good at throwing out the democratic talking point key words these days. Keep calling all corporations cronies and soon it will stick.
The Chinese want our goods. If they aren't willing to pay the same tariff they charge then they can keep their cheap products as far as I am concerned (or lower their tariff). If we don't buy cheap Chinese goods then maybe we will be forced to make the things we need and buy American. I'm okay with that.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #82
BigRodney1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 1,252
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Okay, let's say we do that. China is doing business with 100 other countries. Guess which direction our sales will go if we start raising our tariffs to China? We are in competition with those 100 countries for China's business one of the fastest and largest growing economies. We would hurt American businesses by increasing our tariffs. I realize that supply, demand and competition are lost on socialists. They always think that legislation and taxes are the answer.

You guys are getting good at throwing out the democratic talking point key words these days. Keep calling all corporations cronies and soon it will stick.
When you have to resort to stereotyping and name calling you undermine your credibility.
BigRodney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #83
BigRodney1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 1,252
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
The last thing in world I am is a democrat, however if you think corporate cronyism does not exist, you are sadly disillusioned.

Yes, we would be hurting corporate profits by making everything ourselves given our high labor rate in comparison with China.

However if the United States makes and buys its own goods, their will be jobs in the US again. We do not need to trade from China what we can do for ourselves. Yes, corporate profits will go down and the price of goods will go up.

This is clearly the lesser of 2 evils in comparison with printing 85 billion a month of new money to pay for things we cannot afford. Most people do not have a clue how insane the prices of goods will get when the money velocity eventually speeds up and inflation finally finds its way into the system.

Paying more for goods is sustainable, 50% of people on entitlements is not, and weening that many off of suckling from mama is going to take some job creation.
You had me agreeing with you up to the 50% on entitlements. Where do you get your number? Is it the same ridiculous 47% figure thrown out during the last presidential election? If so you should research that number, it is predominantly people on SS, military retires, and the disabled.

There is a multiplier effect to doing some of our own manufacturing her in the US. It wouldn't take a dramatic change in the trade deficit to change our economy. I agree with what I think jfisher is saying, that printing money to make up for the trade deficit is eventually going to catch up with us.
BigRodney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #84
Danno
Ifish Nate
 
Danno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Posts: 3,197
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
The last thing in world I am is a democrat, however if you think corporate cronyism does not exist, you are sadly disillusioned.

Cronyism is rampant and needs to be reversed. Every corporation is going to seek legislation that favors its business model. That's a natural part of running a business but don't blame the business, blame the politician for not having the fortitude to make the right decision. There are tax relief programs for corporations that are worthwhile but I think we've gone over that limit. My comment on democrats and their use of the words like cronyism and the 99%, etc. is to highlight that their agenda is to demonize all corporations when if fact most play within the rules.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
Yes, we would be hurting corporate profits by making everything ourselves given our high labor rate in comparison with China.

However if the United States makes and buys its own goods, their will be jobs in the US again. We do not need to trade from China what we can do for ourselves. Yes, corporate profits will go down and the price of goods will go up.

This is clearly the lesser of 2 evils in comparison with printing 85 billion a month of new money to pay for things we cannot afford. Most people do not have a clue how insane the prices of goods will get when the money velocity eventually speeds up and inflation finally finds its way into the system.

Paying more for goods is sustainable, 50% of people on entitlements is not, and weening that many off of suckling from mama is going to take some job creation.

Are there only two options? I think not. If we match tariffs across the board we will lose jobs and spiral into a depression that will take years to come out of. HP printers sales will increase int he USA but will drop everywhere else. Oops, HP will have to lay people off. Same for Intel, Apple, GE, Rainbird and thousands of other companies that sell products over seas. Our ability to have the best technology will drop dramatically as we will be artificially propping up unfit companies because they will have no competition in the USA. Oh, no TV's either. None are designed in the USA anymore because RCA, Phillips, Packard Bell and others didn't see the advantage of manufacturing overseas at lower labor rates and maintaining their competitive edge.

You want to live in a bubble? Be careful of what you ask for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
The Chinese want our goods. If they aren't willing to pay the same tariff they charge then they can keep their cheap products as far as I am concerned (or lower their tariff). If we don't buy cheap Chinese goods then maybe we will be forced to make the things we need and buy American. I'm okay with that.
Still lost on that supply and demand concept thing huh Crabby? What do we make that isn't or wouldn't be made by some other company in another country with lower tariffs and lower labor? China can add tariffs because their labor rates are so low that the 17% still affords a lower product cost. Plus, they are a huge growing market for business to compete for. Once their labor rates rise, the tariffs will drop. Labor rates always climb in tese developing countries. Look at Japan, Taiwan, S Korea. It'll just take alittle longer in China because they have a huge number of people but those are consumers as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney1 View Post
When you have to resort to stereotyping and name calling you undermine your credibility.

If the stereotyping fits, it doesn't undermine anything I said.
__________________
Team Arima!
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #85
jfisher
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,705
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Danno, I am totally with you on most of your philosophies. I am very much a conservative and am completely disgusted when liberals attempt to silence debate through political correct labels and resort to out and out lies because they know the public is to ignorant and apathetic to know any better.

I too am a firm believer in free market capitalism, (with intelligent reglutation) but you have it wrong if you believe we have that now. It has been severely corrupted over the years and is crony capitalism designed to snuff out free competition and stack the deck in the favor of BIG business at the expense of small business. MANY more jobs would be created if government would get out of the way and make it more accessible to the little guy. The deck has purposefully stacked against the little guy to benefit big business.


Crabby, whats the deal? We seem to be agreeing more and more on threads and this has me worried!

Have I converted you to the dark side of conservatism, or have I been slowly subverted to the liberal agenda?

OR

As is usually the case in life, the truth lies somewhere in between 2 extremes, and maybe we are both willing to acknowledge points form the other side if it is right?
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #86
crabbait
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 30,859
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Still lost on that supply and demand concept thing huh Crabby? What do we make that isn't or wouldn't be made by some other company in another country with lower tariffs and lower labor? China can add tariffs because their labor rates are so low that the 17% still affords a lower product cost. Plus, they are a huge growing market for business to compete for. Once their labor rates rise, the tariffs will drop. Labor rates always climb in tese developing countries. Look at Japan, Taiwan, S Korea. It'll just take alittle longer in China because they have a huge number of people but those are consumers as well.
One of us is...

What do we make? Weapons mostly but we are also the #1 producer of medical equipment. There are other things that we make that are just better than you can get anywhere else, high pressure valves for example.

If other countries want to fill the void left if China refused fair trade (mirrored tariffs) what is wrong with that? And if we couldn't get shoes for $15 anymore, so what? We got by just fine when shoes were a bit more expensive (and better made). And wouldn't a lack of cheap chinese goods stimulate US production of those products? Supply and demand, right? If a tariff meant that it was no longer cost effective to send fish to China to have the bones picked who suffers and who gains? Fish might be a little more expensive but the dollars would be staying here.

The way I see to increase US manufacturing is to increase the demand for US goods. Cut back the flood of Chinese junk and the demand could shift to well made US products, albeit at a higher price. Get other countries to drop their tariff and US goods are cheaper on foreign shelves, right? Supply US made products at a cheaper price with lowered tariffs and the demand grows.

Last edited by crabbait; 02-26-2014 at 09:35 AM.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #87
LeechLaker
Tuna!
 
LeechLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Forest Grove, Manitaba
Posts: 1,831
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteelie View Post
My point is we don't need to have people working 16 hour days and living in poverty so that others can get rich off of them. Hard working people deserve a decent wage so they can live a decent life.
I have read most of these replies and most are above me or I just don’t care about what they say, but this one inspired much thought. I am not agreeing or disagreeing about what you say. But just saying it gives me food for thought.

The harder you work the more you make? Should a hard working American deserve a living wage? Is one guy’s living wage the same as another’s? I don’t know.

The hardest job I had was many years ago. I worked harder then than I ever have since. I worked twelve hours a day five-seven days a week depending on the time of year. Doing this I made $5 per hour.

This hourly pay was not enough to be considered a living wage and I wanted to make more. There was, in my opinion two ways to do this. One was to work more hours and number two was to increase my education and in turn increase my income.

I went with number two and ever since jobs have been a little easier and the pay was more. So looking back at my own experiences and pondering your statement I wonder did I deserve to make more at that first job just because I worked so hard. No I don’t think I did. Mostly because anyone with strong arms and back could have done that job. So why pay someone more to do what takes very little intelligence to do?

Granted each step up the latter did require more personal responsibility along with more training and education but, “Harder” not so much. But now I guess we would have do debate the meaning of, “Harder”. It’s never ending.

So how much should someone make pulling bones out of fish? Everyone on ifish is already qualified and if they aren’t they could be trained to do the job in about 15 minutes. I think that’s worth about $5 per hour.
__________________
it's very cold here

Last edited by LeechLaker; 02-26-2014 at 10:15 AM.
LeechLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #88
LeechLaker
Tuna!
 
LeechLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Forest Grove, Manitaba
Posts: 1,831
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob allen View Post
Doing the right thing is the right thing to do.

1 timberland as an investment in Oregon and Washington is the wrong thing to do because it's always wrong to clearcut it. but that's another issue.

2. If i did log it there is no force on earth that would cause me to sell it to anything other than an American saw mill putting American workers to work.

the right thing to do is the right thing to do even if it hurts me.

the might of the dollar does not make right regardless what stockholders say. The problem with America? too many people willing to do the wrong thing to better their own situation.

is it wrong to make more profit by going overseas and telling American workers to stuff it??? YES!
But you just lost nearly $300,000 that you could have put back into the Americans system by paying wages and investing in your business and hiring more people.
__________________
it's very cold here
LeechLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #89
salmonslug
Steelhead
 
salmonslug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 278
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Kabong View Post
if someone wants to invest their money into this then it is their money to invest. As consumers we have the RIGHT to know how the product was treated from catch point to supermarket, so we can make an informed decision as to whether we agree with (and hence are willing to fund) this practice or choose to purchase our seafood from other sources.

All I am reading is caught, frozen, shipped to China, unfrozen, cleaned, filleted, packaged, refrozen shipped back to US, shipped to retail outlets -- sounds, yummy fresh? Hardly. thanks I will pass
Too bad you will never know, and will not be allowed to make an informed decision.

As the OP's linked article importantly notes, "Fish processed in China don't have to bear a "Made in China" label." Its country of origin is the USA, and that's all some people think you need to know.
salmonslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #90
McSteelie
Tuna!
 
McSteelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tigard, Or
Posts: 1,311
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeechLaker View Post
I have read most of these replies and most are above me or I just don’t care about what they say, but this one inspired much thought. I am not agreeing or disagreeing about what you say. But just saying it gives me food for thought.

The harder you work the more you make? Should a hard working American deserve a living wage? Is one guy’s living wage the same as another’s? I don’t know.

The hardest job I had was many years ago. I worked harder then than I ever have since. I worked twelve hours a day five-seven days a week depending on the time of year. Doing this I made $5 per hour.



This hourly pay was not enough to be considered a living wage and I wanted to make more. There was, in my opinion two ways to do this. One was to work more hours and number two was to increase my education and in turn increase my income.

I went with number two and ever since jobs have been a little easier and the pay was more. So looking back at my own experiences and pondering your statement I wonder did I deserve to make more at that first job just because I worked so hard. No I don’t think I did. Mostly because anyone with strong arms and back could have done that job. So why pay someone more to do what takes very little intelligence to do?

Granted each step up the latter did require more personal responsibility along with more training and education but, “Harder” not so much. But now I guess we would have do debate the meaning of, “Harder”. It’s never ending.

So how much should someone make pulling bones out of fish? Everyone on ifish is already qualified and if they aren’t they could be trained to do the job in about 15 minutes. I think that’s worth about $5 per hour.
So what you believe is we need to keep a percentage of people in poverty, since anyone who gets a better paying job will be replaced by another person getting wages that they can't live on. Of course you can let the rest of the tax payers subsidize their income. This is just another form of corporate welfare.
McSteelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #91
LeechLaker
Tuna!
 
LeechLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Forest Grove, Manitaba
Posts: 1,831
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteelie View Post
So what you believe is we need to keep a percentage of people in poverty, since anyone who gets a better paying job will be replaced by another person getting wages that they can't live on. Of course you can let the rest of the tax payers subsidize their income. This is just another form of corporate welfare.
No I don't think that's what I think. I don't even know what you just said exactally. If your saying that people should enspire to better their life by seaking a better job and improving their own marketability if they are not happy with what they have. And leaving the low paying job and letting another high school kid or someone just entering the work force have the job and then that person do the same. Well maybe that is closed to what I think.

I don't think I think we need to keep some in poverty. I read and re read what I said and then what you said and can't see how you come to this conclusion. I'm all for starting at the bottom and not staying there. I'm for the bottom not being enough to be content with. Sounds like tough love? Well I guess that is what I think. Is that what you think I think?
__________________
it's very cold here
LeechLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #92
12pulls
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Just east of Poverty Gulch
Posts: 6,466
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

job lost.jpg
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #93
Gus Orviston
Flatlander
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,325
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Btw. How does this even work. Does the salmon get frozen twice. Once to china and then in route the us?
Gus Orviston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #94
McSteelie
Tuna!
 
McSteelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tigard, Or
Posts: 1,311
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeechLaker View Post
No I don't think that's what I think. I don't even know what you just said exactally. If your saying that people should enspire to better their life by seaking a better job and improving their own marketability if they are not happy with what they have. And leaving the low paying job and letting another high school kid or someone just entering the work force have the job and then that person do the same. Well maybe that is closed to what I think.

I don't think I think we need to keep some in poverty. I read and re read what I said and then what you said and can't see how you come to this conclusion. I'm all for starting at the bottom and not staying there. I'm for the bottom not being enough to be content with. Sounds like tough love? Well I guess that is what I think. Is that what you think I think?
I doubt they will be hiring high school kids. With a depressed economy and tough love removing people from unemployment and public assistance these jobs will be going to a lot of non-english speaking people along with desperate people who cannot find a job paying decent wages. People making wages that low will not be able to afford to go to school to get educated enough for success. You will have a class of empoverished people that will raise familys in poverty with little hope of change for them or their children. Kind of like the good old days.
McSteelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #95
LeechLaker
Tuna!
 
LeechLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Forest Grove, Manitaba
Posts: 1,831
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Orviston View Post
Btw. How does this even work. Does the salmon get frozen twice. Once to china and then in route the us?
Good question. I wonder if the fish even hit main land China or if they are processed on floating cannery style ship in Chinese waters?
__________________
it's very cold here

Last edited by LeechLaker; 02-26-2014 at 06:39 PM.
LeechLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #96
cj6530
Tuna!
 
cj6530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 1,268
Default Re: Salmon caught here, processed in CHINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteelie View Post
I doubt they will be hiring high school kids. With a depressed economy and tough love removing people from unemployment and public assistance these jobs will be going to a lot of non-english speaking people along with desperate people who cannot find a job paying decent wages. People making wages that low will not be able to afford to go to school to get educated enough for success. You will have a class of empoverished people that will raise familys in poverty with little hope of change for them or their children. Kind of like the good old days.
People making low wages don't need education for success. They need more low paying $6.00 an hour jobs at places like machine shops where they can simply show up 15 minutes before and stay 15 minutes after their boss leaves. Combine that with showing up every day your asked...never call in sick to go fishing....and you will have a family wage job. Kind of like the good old days. Of course this isn't the good old days as Machine shops can't afford to pay dudes with zero education the current minimum wage to show up early and stay late to sweep the floors.
cj6530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.82955 seconds with 58 queries