Early Duckworth - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
ccw
Sturgeon

Default Early Duckworth

The first Duckworth I rode in was this one below. We used to go chuckar hunting every year and drive upstream/South from Asotin, WA to camp in our camper on a little beach. My sister and I would swim across the Snake River every year with the dog so we could claim we swam to Idaho. This year (about 1976) my parents paid for a Hell's Canyon tour with Ernie Duckworth. He'd just started building the boats in a small shop in Asotin. We went 190 miles in one day.... 95 miles upriver through whitewater rapids through the narrow gorge and 95 miles back. We saw mule deer and mountain sheep and yes, the big inboard jet sled handled the rapids easily. I'm sure this experience helped inspire me to get my own inboard jet down the road. That's my folks in the boat and yes, it looks like we brought the German Shorthaired pointer too. CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)

Last edited by ccw; 02-24-2014 at 05:56 AM.
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
fishkicker
Chromer

Default Re: Early Duckworth

Very cool! I have wondered about the history of Duckworth boats.

I have a Duckworth 1991 17' ft open--tiller sled. It is powered by a newer Honda 90 horse prop. Goes like heck!

A couple of people who know boats told me the alloy used in that boat was the best there ever was and you don't see it anymore. I think they were guys that knew there stuff.

Nice pics! Your parents were cool!

Last edited by fishkicker; 02-24-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: needed
fishkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Clackriverrat
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
The first Duckworth I rode in was this one below. We used to go chuckar hunting every year and drive upstream/South from Asotin, WA to camp in our camper on a little beach. My sister and I would swim across the Snake River every year with the dog so we could claim we swam to Idaho. This year (about 1976) my parents paid for a Hell's Canyon tour with Ernie Duckworth. He'd just started building the boats in a small shop in Asotin. We went 190 miles in one day.... 95 miles upriver through whitewater rapids through the narrow gorge and 95 miles back. We saw mule deer and mountain sheep and yes, the big inboard jet sled handled the rapids easily. I'm sure this experience helped inspire me to get my own inboard jet down the road. That's my folks in the boat and yes, it looks like we brought the German Shorthaired pointer too. CW

Old Duckworth Boat Show Video
Clackriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
samntrllr
Chromer

Does anybody know about how Earnie is doing. I bought a Heliarc from him 16 years ago and heard his health was not good. Any info?

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much;
Walter Lippmann
samntrllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
rowmanholiday
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samntrllr View Post
Does anybody know about how Earnie is doing. I bought a Heliarc from him 16 years ago and heard his health was not good. Any info?

Cool photos as usual, CW!

News about Ernie Duckworth. Sorry it isn't what you really want to see....

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/gre...&pid=152657173
rowmanholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Clackriverrat
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowmanholiday View Post
Cool photos as usual, CW!

News about Ernie Duckworth. Sorry it isn't what you really want to see....

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/gre...&pid=152657173
Unfortunately the same news only the wrong Ernie.

http://lmtribune.com/northwest/artic...677c7d4a1.html
Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Bay City Buck
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by samntrllr View Post
I live over in the "valley" sometimes. I know the company that uses or is his name is building boats for I believe four different "labels" and they are expanding fast. Was in the Lewiston Tribune couple months ago,can't keep up with orders. It's really amazing to see the variety and quality of boats built here,and where they go. Guy's who work on my sled built boats for a "James Bond" movie. Lots of big "salty tin" getting made as well. Shipping boats all over the globe from here.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
Clackriverrat
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay City Buck View Post
I live over in the "valley" sometimes. I know the company that uses or is his name is building boats for I believe four different "labels" and they are expanding fast. Was in the Lewiston Tribune couple months ago,can't keep up with orders. It's really amazing to see the variety and quality of boats built here,and where they go. Guy's who work on my sled built boats for a "James Bond" movie. Lots of big "salty tin" getting made as well. Shipping boats all over the globe from here.
Duckworth along with 2 or 3 others are owned by Harborcraft Marine out of Canada now. They also just recently acquired HCM (Hells Canyon Marine).
Riddle is the company in Lewiston that has made the Boats for the Bond movies.

http://www.riddlemarine.com/ Read Welcome.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
foxer
Sturgeon

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2014/0...hwest-builder/

Ugh!! I think he is right...
foxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Clackriverrat
Steelhead

[quote=Irie1;6599905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clackriverrat View Post
Duckworth along with 2 or 3 others are owned by Harborcraft Marine out of Canada now. They also just recently acquired HCM (Hells Canyon Marine).

Funny!

Since when?

Which Part? Duckworth and the others have been owned by Renaissance Marine for a while. Somewhere in between that they were bought by Harborcraft from Canada. In the last 2 months Renaissance (Harborcraft) bought the assets of HCM (Hells Canyon Marine) HCM now stands for Harbor Craft Marine. This is the same company who bought Jetcraft in southern Oregon. Jetcrafts no longer look anything like their former selves.

Funny! Not at all if you own and HCM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Just Fish
Ifish Nate

There is a old red dot Duckworth in my home town.See it every fishing season for the last 10 years.
Just Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
Bay City Buck
Steelhead

I got the impression that they were going to let HCM keep doing what HCM does best,just owned by Renaissance. That's a pretty ni$e market to give up.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
rowmanholiday
Sturgeon

Quote:
Unfortunately the same news only the wrong Ernie.

http://lmtribune.com/northwest/artic...677c7d4a1.html
Thanks for the correction. Sorry the result is the same.
rowmanholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
Timber Tech
Chromer

Quote:
Old Duckworth Boat Show Video
Duckworth Red Dot Boat Show Movie - YouTube
Thanks for the video link, that was great.
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
ccw
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
Thanks for the video link, that was great.
Classic video... it looked just like that in Hell's Canyon and I thought I saw the above boat we rode in in the video armada too.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #16
BoulderDancer
Steelhead

[quote=Clackriverrat;6600809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie1 View Post
Which Part? Duckworth and the others have been owned by Renaissance Marine for a while. Somewhere in between that they were bought by Harborcraft from Canada. In the last 2 months Renaissance (Harborcraft) bought the assets of HCM (Hells Canyon Marine) HCM now stands for Harbor Craft Marine. This is the same company who bought Jetcraft in southern Oregon. Jetcrafts no longer look anything like their former selves.

Funny! Not at all if you own and HCM.

There has been much confusion and misinformation surrounding these companies. I spoke with the Presidents of each of these companies recently. Here are the facts:

Renaissance Marine Group (RMG) builds Duckworth, Weldcraft and Northwest Boats (formally Northwest Jet.) RMG recently purchased certain assets of Hells Canyon Marine (HCM) but not the company itself. HCM does not stand for "Harbor Craft Marine."

Kingfisher Boats is a brand built by a different company located in Canada. Until recently, they built Kingfisher, Habercraft and Jetcraft. The company has now focused all efforts on building only the Kingfisher brand.

RMG is an U.S. corporation. The same person owns Kingfisher brand boats and RMG, but they are produced by separate corporations operating in separate countries.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
98ramtough
Tuna!

Thanks for the Clarification. RMG is a top notch builder in my opinion. Wanted to make sure that wasn't going to change.
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
nunyet
Chromer

Ernie was a friend of mine , bought several boats from him, way ahead of his time in design. Very few people have had the love of Hells Canyon as Ernie did. Sold out to Terry Hingeky [sp** and signed a non compete for boat building Ernie started building boats after that time passed. I don,t remember the name Ernie called his new boats , but only built a few before his death , they seemed to be good boats.
Some of the old red dot boats that Ernie built are still around and fine running boats.. The red dots manufactured after not so much.

nunyet
nunyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
samntrllr
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyet View Post
Ernie was a friend of mine , bought several boats from him, way ahead of his time in design. Very few people have had the love of Hells Canyon as Ernie did. Sold out to Terry Hingeky [sp** and signed a non compete for boat building Ernie started building boats after that time passed. I don,t remember the name Ernie called his new boats , but only built a few before his death , they seemed to be good boats.
Some of the old red dot boats that Ernie built are still around and fine running boats.. The red dots manufactured after not so much.

nunyet
Sorry to hear that, kind of what I had thought when I heard he was very ill.
The boat he started building after the no compete was called Heliarc. I think I got my 1998 Heliarc in the 2nd or 3rd year of that brand. Still have it and enjoy it, a very good all around boat. RIP Earnie.

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much;
Walter Lippmann
samntrllr is offline   Reply With Quote