10 things that will be gone in our lifetime - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
cptdarel
Sturgeon

Default 10 things that will be gone in our lifetime

this has been going around on the web, looks pretty much true, what do you think?

Ten Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime

This is USA oriented, but Canada & the rest will not be far behind. Whether these changes are good or bad depends in part on how we adapt to them. But, ready or not, here they come.

1. The Post Office
Get ready to imagine a world without the post office. They are so deeply in financial trouble that there is probably no way to sustain it long term. Email, Fed Ex, and UPS have just about wiped out the minimum revenue needed to keep the post office alive. Most of your mail every day is junk mail and bills.

2. The Check
Britain is already laying the groundwork to do away with check by 2018. It costs the financial system billions of dollars a year to process checks. Plastic cards and online transactions will lead to the eventual demise of the check. This plays right into the death of the post office. If you never paid your bills by mail and never received them by mail, the post office would absolutely go out of business.

3. The Newspaper
The younger generation simply doesn't read the newspaper. They certainly don't subscribe to a daily delivered print edition. That may go the way of the milkman and the laundry man. As for reading the paper online, get ready to pay for it. The rise in mobile Internet devices and e-readers has caused all the newspaper and magazine publishers to form an alliance. They have met with Apple, Amazon, and the major cell phone companies to develop a model for paid subscription services.

4. The Book
You say you will never give up the physical book that you hold in your hand and turn the literal pages I said the same thing about downloading music from iTunes. I wanted my hard copy CD. But I quickly changed my mind when I discovered that I could get albums for half the price without ever leaving home to get the latest music. The same thing will happen with books. You can browse a bookstore online and even read a preview chapter before you buy. And the price is less than half that of a real book. And think of the convenience! Once you start flicking your fingers on the screen instead of the book, you find that you are lost in the story, can't wait to see what happens next, and you forget that you're holding a gadget instead of a book.

5. The Land Line Telephone
Unless you have a large family and make a lot of local calls, you don't need it anymore. Most people keep it simply because they've always had it. But you are paying double charges for that extra service. All the cell phone companies will let you call customers using the same cell provider for no charge against your minutes.

6. Music
This is one of the saddest parts of the change story. The music industry is dying a slow death. Not just because of illegal downloading. It's the lack of innovative new music being given a chance to get to the people who would like to hear it. Greed and corruption is the problem. The record labels and the radio conglomerates are simply self-destructing. Over 40% of the music purchased today is "catalogue items," meaning traditional music that the public is familiar with. Older established artists. This is also true on the live concert circuit. To explore this fascinating and disturbing topic further, check out the book, "Appetite for Self-Destruction" by Steve Knopper, and the video documentary, "Before the Music Dies."

7. TelevisionRevenues

To the networks are down dramatically. Not just because of the economy. People are watching TV and movies streamed from their computers. And they're playing games and doing lots of other things that take up the time that used to be spent watching TV. Prime time shows have degenerated down to lower than the lowest common denominator. Cable rates are skyrocketing and commercials run about every 4 minutes and 30 seconds. I say good riddance to most of it. It's time for the cable companies to be put out of our misery. Let the people choose what they want to watch online and through Netflix.

8. The "Things" That You Own
Many of the very possessions that we used to own are still in our lives, but we may not actually own them in the future. They may simply reside in "the cloud." Today your computer has a hard drive and you store your pictures, music, movies, and documents. Your software is on a CD or DVD, and you can always re-install it if need be. But all of that is changing. Apple, Microsoft, and Google are all finishing up their latest "cloud services." That means that when you turn on a computer, the Internet will be built into the operating system. So, Windows, Google, and the Mac OS will be tied straight into the Internet. If you click an icon, it will open something in the Internet cloud. If you save something, it will be saved to the cloud. And you may pay a monthly subscription fee to the cloud provider. In this virtual world, you can access your music or your books, or your whatever from any laptop or handheld device. That's the good news. But, will you actually own any of this "stuff" or will it all be able to disappear at any moment in a big "Poof?" Will most of the things in our lives be disposable and whimsical? It makes you want to run to the closet and pull out that photo album, grab a book from the shelf, or open up a CD case and pull out the insert.

9. Joined Handwriting (Cursive Writing)
Already gone in some schools who no longer teach "joined handwriting" because nearly everything is done now on computers or keyboards of some type (pun not intended)

10. Privacy
If there ever was a concept that we can look back on nostalgically, it would be privacy. That's gone. It's been gone for a long time anyway.. There are cameras on the street, in most of the buildings, and even built into your computer and cell phone. But you can be sure that 24/7, "They" know who you are and where you are, right down to the GPS coordinates, and the Google Street View. If you buy something, your habit is put into a zillion profiles, and your ads will change to reflect those habits.. "They" will try to get you to buy something else. Again and again.

All we will have left that can't be changed are "Memories".

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by cptdarel; 01-11-2014 at 10:16 AM.
cptdarel is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
rusty717
Chromer

Default Re: 10 things that will be gone in our lifetime

Agreed!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
ccw
King Salmon

Music is dying, but that is because so few young people are playing in bands and schools don't have live bands for dances.

When I was in junior high we had dances all year and live, young rock bands provided the entertainment. There were thousands and thousands of bands across our country and these fed into fewer and more talented professional bands.

Why? Kids have a very low threshold for work without instant gratification. Guitars and drums take sustained practice before you become worth listening to. With the mass appeal of spectator electronic entertainment, skills like using a claw hammer and building something in the garage, painting, fixing your own plumbing or car are all falling by the wayside.

As far as music dying because of some big greed and corruption conspiracy theory, I don't buy it. Never before has it been easier to publish one's writing, video, photographs or music without the big business middle man involved.

There just aren't as many musicians out there and even fewer are worth listening to.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Buccaneer
Chromer

Interesting take on the future.

I'm not sure the land line phone will go away that quickly though. There are many business that still use a fax machine and I'd like to see a cube farm office situation with all the workers having company cell phones.

Although we have cell phones, and we live within the city of Portland, we don't get a good enough signal in our house to be able to get rid of the land line. We can walk two blocks up the hill and have 5 bars, but at home the cell phone will ring, but the call immediately drops. It seems to be a problem for all the major cell phone carriers at our location. I know, get a booster.....only if my neighbors go in on the expense.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
LawFish
Tuna!

Some of us still buy paper books and always will. With the ease of print on demand now the major publishing houses no longer can control what is printed.

Perhaps we are returning to the period around the time of the American Revolution where people had secret printing presses and printed handbills advocating their ideas. We now have TV and radio but those are still controlled by government and corporate interests.

I love the idea of everyone having freedom of speech and the press and being able to disseminate their ideas to a wide audience for discussion and action. That was what our founders envisioned. I hope the paper book remains the foundation of our democracy.

LawFish
LawFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
Thumper
King Salmon

There have been several recent studies that indicate that those who read books enjoy the process much more than those who read a plastic screen.

Books are not going away.

And cell phones will not fully replace land lines until reception is an order of magnitude better than it is now.

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
hcole
Steelhead

Music is not going anywhere.
hcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Dave G
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcole View Post

Agreed, heck with YouTube, we might get better quality musicians than some of the garbage that is out there.

Dave G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Oregonhunter5
Tuna!

Skinny kids
Oregonhunter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
stillinscrubs
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonSlayer69 View Post
cant forget "true" native steelhead lol
They will never go away. Even if proven by genetic testing those who command money and power from the true wild steelhead will insure they exist forever, lol.
stillinscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
IdahoBeav
Ifish Nate

Coral reef
IdahoBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
CallTheWhambulance
Chromer

The sky, becuase it's falling apparently.
CallTheWhambulance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #13
Sparks
Ifish Nate

The landline is not going away. If you have an internet connection at home, wireless router, etc. you need a telephone number associated with it, hence the L/L. The regular telephone that runs on a L/L for home use, yes. They are few and far between.

Photos are not going away anytime soon either. You can have 25,000 pictures and your mother's chili recipe on your 'cloud', it doesn't matter. You will always want a photo to look at on more than a 2"-4" inch screen.

One thing you left out that will be completely gone. Personal responsibility of any kind.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
Root Hog or Die
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcole View Post
Agree, if fact it is getting better and better.
Root Hog or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
sadiesassy
King Salmon

MUsic is not going anywhere - just the business model has changed and publishing a song is cheap. Has nothing to do with high school bands. If that was the case - it started in the 60's with 8 track for schools that could not afford bands.

Lots of areas in the country where internet is not available- so I see at least 30 years before many things go away . PArticularly dial up phone.

Would love to see TV go to cafeteria stype - pay for what you use. so if you like some of the minor programs - just pay a higher price.

I see teaching changing rapidly and more online courses - Most people do just fine with on line courses.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
The landline is not going away. If you have an internet connection at home, wireless router, etc. you need a telephone number associated with it, hence the L/L. The regular telephone that runs on a L/L for home use, yes. They are few and far between.
What? We have all those things and no land line. We use a cable service like everybody else. If I id need a phone number I could use my MagicJack number, no land line.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Wreckless
King Salmon

Yeah, the land line isn't going anywhere in our lives. Cell "service" is still spotty in TOWN, much less in the country.

Music will be around as long as it has been....CENTURIES!

As far as "storing something in the cloud", ONLY as a back up. As soon as the cloud is compromised and it will happen, even the tech nerds will start pulling back. Conspiracy question, would "they" tell us if the "cloud" was compromised?

Oh yeah, does anyone remember SKYNET? Do you REALLY want your ENTIRE LIFE in the "cloud"?

Privacy? What's that? I can see that becoming hard to come by, bu we don't have to send "them" everything.

I had a guy tell me that we were going to a cashless society, TWENTY YEARS AGO. Tell that to people who shopped at target!!!!!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Captain 40
Sturgeon

#11 is the Republican party
Captain 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Gus Orviston
Flatlander

Music will evolve. Very tribal
Gus Orviston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:59 AM   #20
Williams
Ifish Nate

Cigarettes

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #21
Biteme
Ifish Nate

1. Fat chicks without tattoos
2. kids that can find their way home without an Iphone.
3. Kids that can spell
4. courtesy
5. the news
6. Our constitutional rights
7. Light bulbs that produce actual light
8. sturgeon
9. People in office that are worth trusting
10. families that arent from south of the border
Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #22
sadiesassy
King Salmon

Lots of the country does not have access to the internet and lots of regions where there is no cell phone coverage- only thing they have is POTS.
Guess they could use dialup internet service but we all know how good that is. BUt you still need land lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
What? We have all those things and no land line. We use a cable service like everybody else. If I id need a phone number I could use my MagicJack number, no land line.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #23
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
Music is dying, but that is because so few young people are playing in bands and schools don't have live bands for dances.
Chris, guitar sales have never been stronger (says the guy who owns five guitars ). There is a vibrant music industry and community in the world today, and there are plenty of kids making music. It's just different. Check out www.ultimateguitar.com, for an example.

The record/CD industry is toast, because of the internet and the low cost of self production now. I can buy the software and hardware needed to make my own CD for less than $1000 now - it is no longer necessary to hitch up with a record label to create a record. I can distribute the record via the internet and amazon.

Making music is a primal creative need for many people. It will never go away. The industry around it will change.

Last edited by Silver Hilton; 01-12-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #24
lost_sailor
King Salmon

Some of us have lifetimes that are maybe another 20 years if we're lucky.

There is always going to be MUSIC, maybe it won't be for sale as much.
There is a drum on top of my piano, and three guitars upstairs. "I know I'm not the only one."
lost_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #25
lost_sailor
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biteme View Post

Would you like instructions on how to get your name on the ballot?

http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Pages/runforoffice.aspx

It ain't rocket science, sit through a legislative hearing and you can see that!!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #26
JD77
Tuna!

Default Re: 10 things that will be gone in our lifetimes

1. Travel agents
2. Realtors
3. DVDs

Music is in some trouble but I am not totally pessimistic. People are not willing to pay much to watch it live in smal spaces thus bars and clubs pay very little. What is mainstream is very bland but hopefully we will find new ways to share music via technology that will keep it creative.
JD77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #27
Chalupacabra
Chromer

Freedom at the hands of liberals.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #28
Chalupacabra
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 40 View Post
Not quite.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
Biteme
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_sailor View Post
Would you like instructions on how to get your name on the ballot?

http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Pages/runforoffice.aspx

It ain't rocket science, sit through a legislative hearing and you can see that!!
No thanks anyway, I dont like the people that work there
Old 01-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
lamb3947
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Lloyd View Post

here we go.
lamb3947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #31
sadiesassy
King Salmon

interesting that "Gone in a lifetime" could mean anything from 1- maybe 70 years. If we think of the advances that have been made in the last 30 years -
I would assume life as we know it will change significantly.

The only thing that can screw it up is government ( all sides)
Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #32
lost_sailor
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb3947 View Post

here we go.
My dad can beat up your dad !!

poopyhead poopyhead poopyhead
Old 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #33
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
You know, if the Republicans don't become a little more main steam you might be right. Romney was right when he said that 47% of Americans wouldn't vote for him. They are getting "free stuff".

I'm not sure that a Republican will EVER be president again without some pretty major social change. Oregon has been run by Democrats for what, 20, 25 years? The country is headed in the same direction. The Democratic strategy is working.

BTW - I've been an independent for 35 years.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #34
C-lice
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Lloyd View Post
For every freedom liberals want to take away, there is one that conservatives feel just as strongly about that conservatives want to take away.
Numbers 15:32-37
C-lice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
ccw
King Salmon

Silver Hilton: you're no kid.

Fewer kids play in bands than used to. There are fewer venues for them to play in. Far fewer kids can carry a tune than used to. I've worked with them for decades. Have you heard them try to sing "Happy Birthday" ? Ouch. I'm not saying music is dying or that some can't make music, but the % that can is shrinking. CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #36
biederboat
Sturgeon

Saw a pay phone booth at a gas station yesterday. Light was on inside of it, looked in, no phone!

BB
biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #37
lilwhaler
Steelhead

Saltwater salmon reels that enable the user, regardless of ability, to aimlessly wind in while the fish is running out.
lilwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #38
sadiesassy
King Salmon

INteresting - we have 3 pay boths in town - all at apartments.. Not sure if they have phones still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biederboat View Post
Saw a pay phone booth at a gas station yesterday. Light was on inside of it, looked in, no phone!

BB
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #39
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hilton View Post
Chris, guitar sales have never been stronger (says the guy who owns five guitars ). There is a vibrant music industry and community in the world today, and there are plenty of kids making music. It's just different. Check out www.ultimateguitar.com, for an example.

The record/CD industry is toast, because of the internet and the low cost of self production now. I can buy the software and hardware needed to make my own CD for less than $1000 now - it is no longer necessary to hitch up with a record label to create a record. I can distribute the record via the internet and amazon.

Making music is a primal creative need for many people. It will never go away. The industry around it will change.
Yes, guitar sales may have never been stronger. But what about violin sales, piano sales, or flute sales?

Anyone can learn the 3 cords that it takes to play rock and pop. But can they learn a concerto, and the discipline /attention span that it takes to play something other than rock or pop?

Today's pop music is embarrassing in its' simplicity! You have basically heard the whole composition after 30 seconds, and then its repeated over and over and over again.

NO.....Music will not be gone in our life time, it will always be around. But will it ever rebound to less moronic level's than it is today? (Speaking of pop music of course, not all music today is produced at a moronic levels)

I wonder how long symphony orchestras will be around?
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #40
Root Hog or Die
Ifish Nate

Quote:
7. Light bulbs that produce actual light
LED's are getting better and cheaper. They may soon be a reasonable replacement for Incandescents, although I understand being skeptical after those horrible CFL's which are ridiculously bad in every conceivable way.

Quote:
Have we had one since Lincoln?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #41
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Hog or Die View Post
LED's are getting better and cheaper. They may soon be a reasonable replacement for Incandescents, although I understand being skeptical after those horrible CFL's which are ridiculously bad in every conceivable way.

Even he had his secrets.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #42
Root Hog or Die
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMorgan View Post
Even he had his secrets.
Maybe we need to go back to Washington then.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #43
Rickster
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
Yes, guitar sales may have never been stronger. But what about violin sales, piano sales, or flute sales?

Anyone can learn the 3 cords that it takes to play rock and pop. But can they learn a concerto, and the discipline /attention span that it takes to play something other than rock or pop?

Today's pop music is embarrassing in its' simplicity! You have basically heard the whole composition after 30 seconds, and then its repeated over and over and over again.

NO.....Music will not be gone in our life time, it will always be around. But will it ever rebound to less moronic level's than it is today? (Speaking of pop music of course, not all music today is produced at a moronic levels)

Word.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #44
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Maybe we need to go back to Washington then.
I would be hard press to say he was completely Honest in politics, heck check out Whiskey Rebellion sometime. Ordered by Washington to use military force against our own citizens on US soil. The ones that were probably the most honest are the ones you probably can't name.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #45
Biteme
Ifish Nate

Quote:

The light bulbs available now will require you to install 50% nmore fixtures in your house just to be able to see. Perfect do gooder corporate benefiting deal. Nothing they are selling now will light my house even marginally.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #46
fishorcroak
Chromer

I was REALY hoping to see sit-coms on the list!!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #47
wadester
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishorcroak View Post
They probably will be gone
Replaced by even worse reality TV

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #48
Root Hog or Die
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I would be hard press to say he was completely Honest in politics, heck check out Whiskey Rebellion sometime. Ordered by Washington to use military force against our own citizens on US soil. The ones that were probably the most honest are the ones you probably can't name.
Nothing dishonest about the Whiskey Rebellion, Washington quite honestly used the military to put down a tax revolt. Now the IRS is used, sometimes not very honestly. But you are right the honest ones probably didn't make a whole lot of history. How about William Howard Taft?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #49
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadester View Post
They probably will be gone
Replaced by even worse reality TV

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
I can't believe how misleading the reality tv ads for the different shows are. Rodeo Girls, for example. I thought it was going to be about barrel-racing which I did as a young girl. Noooooo....dumb thing following the love lives of the barrel racers and rodeo cowboys. I'll be glad when they have outlived themselves...EXCEPT for Duck Dynasty. LOVE that show. It kinda brings you back to the values and approach to life we grew up with but has been so compromised and lost within ourselves...pc anyone? Well, not quite as rednecked but basic same values anyway.
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #50
jvp
King Salmon

Quote:

Photos are not going away anytime soon either. You can have 25,000 pictures and your mother's chili recipe on your 'cloud', it doesn't matter. You will always want a photo to look at on more than a 2"-4" inch screen.

One thing you left out that will be completely gone. Personal responsibility of any kind.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishorcroak View Post
you don't need a phone line to have internet as someone else stated.

partys evolve and the repubs will too. don't be surprise if they and the dems swap sides again.

whiskey rebellion. washington paid his whiskey tax and so will they i believe would put it right where it should be. besides he didn't even have to really do anything but take a long ride north and then back home. just like everything else it was the beginning of a black market industry.

i'm with the get rid of reality tv PLEASE. although i watch it it is so unreal and like pro wrestling people don't get it is fake.

i think you tube is the next high school band venue.

Last edited by jvp; 01-13-2014 at 08:45 AM.
jvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #51
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Quote:

Well, in the suburb I live in, I see plenty of orchestral instrument cases getting onto the schoolbus. So I think that we'll continue to see those instruments. Flutes have never been, nor will they ever be, as popular as guitar.

As to the three chord comment, this has always been true of pop music. A 1 4 5 progression has been common since the days of Elvis. But we have seen Chet Atkins in the old days, Mark Knopfler in the 80's till now, and now Johnny Lang and Buckethead. The virtuouso's keep on coming. They have always been remarkable precisely because they are rare.

BTW, if you haven't heard the CD's by Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler, I heartily recommend them.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #52
fishnbus
Chromer

I wonder if the accordion will still be here. 55 years ago when I was in grade school, there was always a kid or two that took accordion lessons. Some kids today may not even know that instrument exists.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #53
tbone082170
Chromer

The News Paper.
tbone082170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #54
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
Sparks, you're stuck in the 20th century....................

Same for us as Crabby, we haven't needed a phone line for our internet connection for many years (cable wireless outer). We recently just got rid of our land line because the only reason we had one was for our old security system. Upgraded our security system to a new wireless system and bye bye land line.............

As for the pictures, my wife just scanned all our photographs (and recipes) and we now keep everything on scan discs and our clouds. She can access our cloud from her smart phone to get to both and uses it all the time in the kitchen. She can even use it at the grocery store to pick up the ingredients she'll need for whatever she is cooking when needed.

Last edited by Artwo; 01-13-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #55
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hilton View Post
Well, in the suburb I live in, I see plenty of orchestral instrument cases getting onto the schoolbus. So I think that we'll continue to see those instruments. Flutes have never been, nor will they ever be, as popular as guitar.

As to the three chord comment, this has always been true of pop music. A 1 4 5 progression has been common since the days of Elvis. But we have seen Chet Atkins in the old days, Mark Knopfler in the 80's till now, and now Johnny Lang and Buckethead. The virtuouso's keep on coming. They have always been remarkable precisely because they are rare.

BTW, if you haven't heard the CD's by Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler, I heartily recommend them.
Absolutely Atkins and Knopfler are very fine players, as well as many others that could be named in addition to these 2.

I recognize there are some AMAZING guitarist out there! My point was the average pop, and especially rock musician often has very limited skills and knowledge of music.
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #56
blueduck
Sturgeon

Lindsey Lohan.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #57
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
Lindsey Lohan.
She is an android, she will be around forever.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #58
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Absolutely Atkins and Knopfler are very fine players, as well as many others that could be named in addition to these 2.

I recognize there are some AMAZING guitarist out there! My point was the average pop, and especially rock musician often has very limited skills and knowledge of music.
Have you listened and I mean listened to a lot of today's music. Even the stuff that is on radio (but the actual so g not the radio cut). Music is a live and well the complexity of today's music is remarkable. If Mozart was alive today he would have dubstep on his iPod.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #59
Han Solo
Mr. Carkington

0) Common sense .... oops never mind, already gone.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #60
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Quote:
Which has always been true, is all I'm saying. Even some great bands, like Green Day, Social Distortion, and, low be it spoken, Bruce Springsteen, aren't technical music geniuses.