$9.75 more to fish the Columbia basin next year??? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
OB1
Tuna!

Default $9.75 more to fish the Columbia basin next year???

FYI
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/...ndorsement.asp

Last edited by OB1; 11-25-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: .
OB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
dla
Tuna!

Default Re: $9.75 more to fish the Columbia basin next year???

Yep. Just another way to continually shaft sportsmen.. They always take - never give.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Gillfish3
Chromer

I just picked up the 2014 Sport Fishing Regs. and on page 7 it states that the Columbia River Basin Endorsement will cost $11.75 but the link provided to ODFW's website states $9.75....which is correct?

Seems like ODFW runs on misinformation!!!!

Gillfish3
George Gill
Old 11-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
norms gone fishing too
Tuna!

9.75 if you buy it with your license. 11.75 if you buy it later.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

I believe previously it was titled Columbia river endorsement wasn't it? Great to learn that we need it for the Willy and Willy tribs.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillfish3 View Post
I just picked up the 2014 Sport Fishing Regs. and on page 7 it states that the Columbia River Basin Endorsement will cost $11.75 but the link provided to ODFW's website states $9.75....which is correct?

Seems like ODFW runs on misinformation!!!!

Gillfish3
George Gill
Theres a 2$ "agent fee" if you don't buy it with your fishing license.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
stlhdrgrn
Sturgeon

I sure am tired of paying more & getting less, especially knowing where the money is going.
stlhdrgrn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Herring Sailor
Cutthroat

This is great! Another Tax but not a tax.Wake up, Vote em all out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhdrgrn View Post
I sure am tired of paying more & getting less, especially knowing where the money is going.
Herring Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
CKthumper
Tuna!

Sports get an increase in allocation. We pay more because we get more. Trib fish swim up the Columbia. Less netting in the Columbia means more fish in the tribs.

This dead horse is getting too stinky to beat.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
gorgebankmaggot
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKthumper View Post
Sports get an increase in allocation. We pay more because we get more. Trib fish swim up the Columbia. Less netting in the Columbia means more fish in the tribs.

gorgebankmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:

i dont see where or how we will be getting more with the sein nets and them closing river down 3 days a week for us plus them taking OUR smolts out of tribs for them. math dosnt add up to me. lost barbs,lost fishing area and days? what gain is there? I want proof that we will have increase. i dont want words.
beachboi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Takin Line
Coho

Now I see the area on the map. 2/3 of ORYGUN is Columbia basin. Cash Cow YAAA!!!
more fish???
Takin Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
clamhog
Fry

9.75 to fish.or 1.00 a day when people bye a one day license .how much money do we have to give the netters and how long .that's one hell of a lot of money.they pay farmers to not farm or milk cows.why not pay netters not to net fish.would make more since. What a bunch of bs.next it will be 10 bucks to use a boat in the zone because boats catch. to many fish

Last edited by clamhog; 11-26-2013 at 09:25 AM.
clamhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Davy
Ifish Nate

strickly a lake fisher now, I ain't payin it. Much worse , and I am gonna sell it all.... that's if anyone wants it at that point
Old 11-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
JerryM
Ifish Nate

It's probably time to find out if there are any angling related businesses who are tied to CCA and make those businesses feel the pain for this. Maybe that would get the CCA back in touch with the Gov and hammer out a fix to this. I hold CCA chiefly to blame for this garbage.

I have not decided if I will pay this or not. I will likely just stop fishing any Columbia trib waters. More importantly, stop buying any tackle from shops on the Columbia. Make this hurt and it will get fixed.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
bigfishaddiction
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
strickly a lake fisher now, I ain't payin it. Much worse , and I am gonna sell it all.... that's if anyone wants it at that point
PM me first ! Just funnin!

Last edited by bigfishaddiction; 11-26-2013 at 12:31 PM.
bigfishaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
bigfishaddiction
Tuna!

If the nets really come out of the river in 2017 this is chump change! That's just IMHO, but can understand all different opinions.
bigfishaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
CKthumper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboi26 View Post
i dont see where or how we will be getting more with the sein nets and them closing river down 3 days a week for us plus them taking OUR smolts out of tribs for them. math dosnt add up to me. lost barbs,lost fishing area and days? what gain is there? I want proof that we will have increase. i dont want words.
I've not seen the proposal to close the river, so cannot comment on it.

In regard to springers, sports get a larger share of impacts, and rather than being off the river the first week of April, maybe they get to fish until the 20th or so.

Seiners can get their quota after sports are done to avoid direct conflict.

Ten percent of trib smolts transferred to the SAFE areas is a trade-off for netters NOT getting trib fish in the main stem. That means more early fish for the Willamette.

There won't be PROOF of anything for a year or two or three.

You guys who are going to quit over $9.75? GOOD! That's more room and more fish for me.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
I've not seen the proposal to close the river, so cannot comment on it.

In regard to springers, sports get a larger share of impacts, and rather than being off the river the first week of April, maybe they get to fish until the 20th or so.

Seiners can get their quota after sports are done to avoid direct conflict.

Ten percent of trib smolts transferred to the SAFE areas is a trade-off for netters NOT getting trib fish in the main stem. That means more early fish for the Willamette.

There won't be PROOF of anything for a year or two or three.

You guys who are going to quit over $9.75? GOOD! That's more room and more fish for me.
http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/n...ures-columbia/
here you go CK, this looks to be just the start
Old 11-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
dla
Tuna!

Sort of funny to me: If you fish the Klaskanine, Big Creek, Gnat Creek, etc. you'll have to pay the extra fee even though these areas are not affected by any change in commercial fishing. Furthermore, there is no guarantee by the ODFW that they will actually INCREASE consumptive fishing opportunity (increase bag limits, etc.).
Old 11-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Sort of funny to me: If you fish the Klaskanine, Big Creek, Gnat Creek, etc. you'll have to pay the extra fee even though these areas are not affected by any change in commercial fishing. Furthermore, there is no guarantee by the ODFW that they will actually INCREASE consumptive fishing opportunity (increase bag limits, etc.).
thats why this whole thing is a joke and I DONT buy into this whole plan, badd feeling in my gut and the math doesnt add up, and no one wants to explain it other than lets wait for 2-3 yrs to see if it comes through
Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
crabbait
King Salmon

Don't wait, quit now.

I'm sure the river will look absolutely empty this year without you guys...
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
beachboi26
Chromer

some people are just delusional
Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
Zdogk9
Steelhead

All of you sound like a bunch of cheap individuals who's parents were never formally introduced.
\
Zdogk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
john.ishy
Steelhead

Now I'll have to fish more to get my monies worth
john.ishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
Chris Nordling

Cool Re: $9.75 more to fish the Columbia basin next year???

Folks that fish in Washington have been paying a similar fee for a few years now for the Columbia. A couple of trays of herring is what we're talking about here.

The commercial fishing take on the mainstem won't change much. I personally would rather see them get their quota in a day and move to the off channels. They can now live sort the fish, where with a gill net, everything caught had the potential to die. They can now only harvest hatchery fish, helping preserve some wild and endangered stocks. How can this not be a good thing?

We look greedy when all we cry is "me,me,me or more, more, more".

What exactly are we blaming CCA for? Barbless hooks? What? If you really think that, then you haven't been in this game for very long,or not been paying much attention. Managing the Columbia salmon harvest is a very tricky and very political thing. If it were as easy as "Poof the nets are gone and sportsman get all the fish they want any way they want", don't you think that might have been done already?

The govenor saw that the commercial in river fisherman could be in trouble if 81 passed. At the time it was 50/50. He found a compromise that might actually work. Like Schamp said "If neither party thought they weren't getting absolutely hosed, then it wasn't a good compromise"

We complain about $9.75 and hooks. Those guys fishing commercially on the Columbia have to change the way they completely run their businesses. From boats, to gear, to personel. All to fish the mainstem. Now if they choose to fish the off channels and SAFE zones, they can keep their gillnet boats. IF 81 had passed those boats and nets would have been completely outlawed. The govenor found a compromise. It's not a compromise if either party thinks the other got everything they wanted, while they got the shaft....

Chris

Astoria & Buoy 10 August/September
Fall Chinook Columbia River & Coastal

(503) 866-0971
http://www.CatchSomeFish.Net

Fisherman's Marine&Outdoor Prostaff

Twitter: @
CNordlingfishin
http://tinyurl.com/CNguidefanpage

Last edited by Chris Nordling; 11-26-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Chris Nordling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
DZ122/6
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nordling View Post
Folks that fish in Washington have been paying a similar fee for a few years now for the Columbia. A couple of trays of herring is what we're talking about here.

The commercial fishing take on the mainstem won't change much. I personally would rather see them get their quota in a day and move to the off channels. They can now live sort the fish, where with a gill net, everything caught had the potential to die. They can harvest hatchery fish, helping preserve some wild and endangered stocks. How can this not be a good thing?

What exactly are we blaming CCA for? Barbless hooks? What? If you really think that, then you haven't been in this game for very long,or not been paying much attention. Managing the Columbia salmon harvest is a very tricky and very political thing. If it were as easy as "Poof the nets are gone and sportsman get all the fish they want any way they want", don't you think that might have been done already?

The govenor saw that the commercial in river fisherman could be in trouble if 81 passed. At the time it was 50/50. He found a compromise that might actually work. Like Schamp said "If neither party thought they weren't getting absolutely hosed, then it wasn't a good compromise"

We complain about $9.75 and hooks. Those guys fishing commercially on the Columbia have to change the way they completely run their businesses. From boats, to gear, to personel. All to fish the mainstem. Now if they choose to fish the off channels and SAFE zones, they can keep their gillnet boats. IF 81 had passed those boats and nets would have been completely outlawed. The govenor found a compromise. It's not a compromise if either party thinks the other got everything they wanted, while they got the shaft....

Chris
I like the way you explained this. If I couldn't see what you were trying to say, I don't think I could be "fixed".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
dla
Tuna!

I seriously grow weary of people comparing every fee increase to some gear purchase. How much does license & tags cost nowadays? And what is the opportunity for the average person to eat a fish?

Sometimes I think it is fishing groups that are most responsible for killing fishing for the common man & turning it into the sport of kings.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
Chris Nordling

If you were to fish the Columbia or a Columbia tributary 1 day a month for 12 months, it would cost you about an extra $0.81 per trip. Hardly Kingly wages. Most people probably have 81 cents hidden in their vehicle somewhere. Comparatively speaking, I cannot play golf, or ski, or even drive to a hiking trail and hike/camp for less than my yearly fishing license and tags, even with the $9.75 a year increase. Often times each of those activities costs the same for 1 day as an annual fishing license and tag (often for less time each day than you'd spend on the water). If it was only about eating a salmon or steelhead, you would be better off spending the money at a restaurant or marketplace to guarantee you would be eating a fish.

I apologize for comparing a fishing expense increase to fishing gear, how silly on a fishing forum

Tight lines,
Chris

(503) 866-0971

CNordlingfishin

Last edited by Chris Nordling; 11-26-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #30
100% Siwash
Tuna!

Look at what a season pass on Mt. Hood cost..

Fishing is cheap
100% Siwash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #31
Splash
Sturgeon

Something often overlooked with all of these increases and additional fees is that we may just be pricing our future generations out of the sport. Families and just-out-of-the-housers don't have a healthy amount of disposable income. Fixed income seniors struggle too.

Gear, tackle and bait isn't exactly cheap either. Maybe the industries that are poised to profit from these recent changes should pony up some dough.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #32
crowdcor225
Steelhead

$9.75 isn't a make or break issue on whether we'll be fishing or not. And sadly there will be more of this in the future. Increases to go towards whatever they claim is needed. Consider how much it costs to fill up a tank of gas for the truck? How much to fill up the boat? How much do we spend each year on rods, reels, tackle and bait? How about launch fees, parking passes, the list goes on and on. If you were to add the numbers up, $9.75 is pretty insignificant. Even though I'm not necessarily happy about my dollars going towards bailing out the gillnetters, It's a pay to play sport. If the CR salmon, steelhead and sturgeon numbers increase as a result of the commercial switch, then it's all good and I will consider the $9.75 fee well worth it for more fish in the river system.
crowdcor225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #33
cully
Ifish Nate

I'm recently unemployed/retired. 9.75 has for the first time in my life become very significant.

roll on big spenders
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #34
salmonbob
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nordling View Post

The commercial fishing take on the mainstem won't change much. I personally would rather see them get their quota in a day and move to the off channels. They can now live sort the fish, where with a gill net, everything caught had the potential to die. They can now only harvest hatchery fish, helping preserve some wild and endangered stocks. How can this not be a good thing?

Chris
Only problem is they will not get their quota in one day. Commercials can now live sort their fish only taking hatchery stock thus prolonging their LRW impacts. Main-stem commercial fishing in zones one and two will be all of Aug and Sep with several sports fishing closers and canceled guide trips.
Then add NSIA's proposed hatchery retention only agenda in the lower river and we have a astronomical amount of fish being released.

All this BS for what? industry profits and allocation.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out once the dust settles.

Last edited by salmonbob; 11-27-2013 at 06:05 AM.
salmonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #35
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbob View Post
Only problem is they will not get their quota in one day. Commercials can now live sort their fish only taking hatchery stock thus prolonging their LRW impacts. Main-stem commercial fishing in zones one and two will be all of Aug and Sep with several sports fishing closers and canceled guide trips.
Then add NSIA's proposed hatchery retention only agenda in the lower river and we have a astronomical amount of fish being released.

All this BS for what? industry profits and allocation.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out once the dust settles.

also look how much the netters fished this fall, way more and beyond what they should have and took way more fish then should be. i never seen them have so many days before
Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #36
salmonbob
Steelhead

Quote:
also look how much the netters fished this fall, way more and beyond what they should have and took way more fish then should be. i never seen them have so many days before
Mark my words,you ain't seen nothing yet.

I get a kick out of the industries disciples posting on this good ol boy website in regards as to its not that bad and we won sooooooo much more than before. HA whatever

Last edited by salmonbob; 11-27-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #37
cosmo
Ifish Nate

This new fee to fish the Columbia Basin is firmly in place at this point. Now it's a simple decision to either pay it or do something different.

What's coming up for 2014 is the expectation that ODFW will seek a fee increase overall in the legislative session. The last one doubled controlled hunt application costs and raised fees across the board.

Look at the timing of the last fee increase and how long they said it would hold funding. The timing would lead to the expectation of action in 2014, for 2015 implementation.

Some thought for the look ahead...
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
Salmon Mike
Tuna!

Too bad- thats right. You WILL pay the fee if you want to fish the big c and tribs. for Salmon or Steel Head. Done deal people- lets get over it and stop complaining, or just give it up. Gloom and doom for fisherman for sure!
It's the end of the world!!!!
Salmon Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #39
SlamminSalmon69
Chromer

If you're really that upset about it. Take a year off from fishing. Seriously. The DFW is all about the dollar. If they add a fee, but overall revenue drops due to people not buying licenses at all, then they may reconsider dropping it.

They don't care how much people complain. If we all continue to comply and they get their way in the end. It all works out in their eyes.

Of course, everyone will still buy a license. Everyone will pay the new fee. And most people will complain about it.

This thread is pointless.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #40
Lurp
Tuna!

Why don't the gillnetters pay something towards the transition?
And don't give me that crap about how this is costing them so much for new equipment, if they stay in the safe areas they don't need new equipment
Lurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
salmonbob
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminSalmon69 View Post
If you're really that upset about it. Take a year off from fishing. Seriously. The DFW is all about the dollar. If they add a fee, but overall revenue drops due to people not buying licenses at all, then they may reconsider dropping it.

They don't care how much people complain. If we all continue to comply and they get their way in the end. It all works out in their eyes.

Of course, everyone will still buy a license. Everyone will pay the new fee. And most people will complain about it.

Pointless it is not. If it wasn't for people complaining about what they think is right or wrong, we as a society would be lost. Not trying to upset you or put down your post,just want people to realize how important it is to stand up for what they believe in, even if its just venting on the internet.

Last edited by salmonbob; 11-27-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #42
SlamminSalmon69
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbob View Post
Pointless it is not. If it wasn't for people complaining about what they think is right or wrong, we as a society would be lost. Not trying to upset you or put down your post,just want people to realize how important it is to stand up for what they believe in, even if its just venting on the internet.
I understand what your point is, but I disagree that complaining = standing up for what you believe in. IMHO, standing up for what you believe in means that you are taking some sort of stance or action against something. Complaining and then complying is just, well, pointless.

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #43
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurp View Post
Why don't the gillnetters pay something towards the transition?
And don't give me that crap about how this is costing them so much for new equipment, if they stay in the safe areas they don't need new equipment
supposedly its to pay for ther sein nets that they will be putting in mainsetem
Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #44
Gun Rod Bow

"SB 830 deposits money from the endorsement in a Columbia River Fisheries Enhancement Fund to help enhance fisheries, optimize the economic benefits of fisheries and advance native fish conservation.

SB 830 also created a separate Columbia River Fisheries Transition Fund to provide financial assistance to individual commercial fishermen affected by the new law – including the potential purchase of alternative gear. This fund received state general funds appropriated by the Legislature and does not use any money from the endorsement fund."

From: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/...ndorsement.asp
Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #45
SlamminSalmon69
Chromer

From the link:

The endorsement helps fund the transition of non-tribal commercial gill nets out of the mainstem Columbia River into enhanced off-channel areas, freeing up additional salmon and steelhead for sport fishing.
No angler dollars are planned for commercial buyouts, purchase of alternative gear, or other reimbursements to commercial fishermen.

Now, if you translate this from DFW double talk into normal person talk it would go something like this:
  • We needed to come up with something that sounded good so we could try to justify jobbing the sport fishing for an extra 10 bucks a year, so we said this would free up additional salmon and steelhead for them. That always makes them happy. Of course, since we make up the estimated return numbers to base the quotas off of, we will just skew that data lower so that nobody actually gets to fish during productive times or in the event they do, we can just close the river due to the quota being met.
  • We phrased this to sound like we will absolutely not use this money to benefit commercial fisherman, but the operative word here is, "Plan". As of now, we do not "plan" to use this money for commercial buyouts, etc. But...plans can change.
Also from the link:

How much money will the endorsement raise?
ODFW estimates sales of the endorsement (annual and daily combined) will be about $1 million a year.
Does this take into account the number of anglers who may just stop fishing for salmon, steelhead and sturgeon rather than pay the additional fee?

Yes. Our economic analysis does predict some anglers will decide not to fish for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon in the Columbia Basin – either because they stop fishing for these fish or because they choose to fish in places that do not require the endorsement.

So, it sounds to me like the DFW has already figured that people will comply, at least to a point where they are still making money, and that the risk of financial impact of this decision is minimal. Now, wouldn't it be a surprise if the impact was huge? Think about it. They plan on raising an additional million dollars with this and assume people will just comply. If enough people just didn't buy licenses this year and they took a couple of million dollar bath instead of a million dollar profit, I bet they would be open to changing their minds real fast.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #46
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

If you take the point of view that there should no commercial fishing or that they were going to lose at the ballot box, then the $9.75 is a ripoff. In theory, there could be a benefit to the sports from getting the commercials off the main river, for which it is not completely unreasonable to expect more money. However, what I want to know is when are they ever going to learn how to produce more springers to justify the additional charge.

The springer run for wilds is about extinct and, even if it is not, sports can't keep the wilds anyway, so no benefit there. Instead, they produce a very unpredictable, sometime miserable (given the amount of effort) hatchery run. Compare the fall run on the Columbia to the spring run and you see what I mean. The spring run stinks.

Yeah, for you who remember no fishing at all; or even worse returns than we get now, any fish seems like a bonus. But, compared to other runs, the spring run sucks. So, when are they going to learn how to produce some hatchery springers to justify taking more money? After all these years of trying, it appears they are truly clueless, judging by the meager returns.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #47
ALLEIRBAG
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
So If I m from Idaho or Washington do I have to pay for this incredable fee to support commercial fishermans. That is prety much what this fee will do. Even tought Jon Engund is not in the commission any longer I bet he has a lot influences that can still make changes in the favor of the Englunds Marine. Anyway here is the previus Ifish posting that made our fishery go to you know where... Thanks to Englunds Marine

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=1029938

I will never buy anything from Engluds ever

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #48
Summersteel
Coho

Just another tax or state govt will waste.
I wouldn't have a hard time with it if I felt it had a chance to actually improve fishing, habitat, etc. but this just looks like an " admin fee" which be impossible to track. What a waste.
Summersteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #49
CKthumper
Tuna!

Quote:
http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/n...ures-columbia/
here you go CK, this looks to be just the start
I read it. Lots of "maybe, probably, someday" stuff. Nothing definite. Did you miss the part about increased sport allocations and any closure days being added back later? I still don't see the sky falling. We can compare opinions in three years.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #50
RiverRogue
Tuna!

The following is from the ODFW website relating to the CR endorsement.

Highlights:
  • Required for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon fishing on all rivers and tributaries in the Columbia River Basin.
  • Cost is $9.75 for an annual endorsement or $1 per day for a daily licenses.
  • The endorsement helps fund the transition of non-tribal commercial gill nets out of the mainstem Columbia River into enhanced off-channel areas, freeing up additional salmon and steelhead for sport fishing.
  • No angler dollars are planned for commercial buyouts, purchase of alternative gear, or other reimbursements to commercial fishermen.
Your constant bantering is getting tiresome...

Pioneer Chapter OHA
Willamette Falls Chapter CCA
RiverRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #51
Riverruner
Cutthroat

There is a 2.00 processing fee when you buy it.
Riverruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #52
pearl
King Salmon

Quote:
Never let the facts get in the way of a good ifish post/rant.
For once would you seek to understand vs. a perceived assumption.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #53
anschutz1913
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRogue View Post
beachboi, you may want to check your "sources". The following is from the ODFW website relating to the CR endorsement.

Highlights:
  • Required for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon fishing on all rivers and tributaries in the Columbia River Basin.
  • Cost is $9.75 for an annual endorsement or $1 per day for a daily licenses.
  • The endorsement helps fund the transition of non-tribal commercial gill nets out of the mainstem Columbia River into enhanced off-channel areas, freeing up additional salmon and steelhead for sport fishing.
  • No angler dollars are planned for commercial buyouts, purchase of alternative gear, or other reimbursements to commercial fishermen.
Your constant bantering is getting tiresome...
What does this mean specifically?
anschutz1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #54
saltaddict
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl View Post
Never let the facts get in the way of a good ifish post/rant.
For once would you seek to understand vs. a perceived assumption.
Let's talk facts!

1) Less hatchery fish will cross the dam
2) We now have to use pinched barbs
3) The $10 additional fee
4) CCA had a hand in this

In my opinion, the CCA's biggest mistake was fighting the gillnets vs becoming an Allie. The real enemy is the NFS. With more hatchery fish, everyone would be happy, except the NFS. They are the outlier that needs to be removed through government influence.
saltaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #55
Chris Nordling

Question Re: $9.75 more to fish the Columbia basin next year???

If I had to guess, I would say that it is probably paying for addtional net pens, fish food, staff, and smolt transport to the SAFE areas.

It appears we are NOT paying for the commercial fisherman's change in gear, boats or personell so they can continue to fish the mainstem with non-gill net boats.

Venturing another guess, I'd have to say in the near future one would hope that fee would go towards habitat restoration, salmonid predation control, possibly even more harvestable fish production.

One thing I think is kind of strange is who is going to pay for the additional enforcement to make sure recreational anglers are indeed carrying the Columbia River endorsement? I mean what's going to happen to the guy from Albany who comes to fish Astoria for a day or two in August without having his CRE for his license? Is there going to be some kind of enforcement on the water? That seems like a lot of additional work for the small number of officers in Astoria or Longview or Woodland or the Mouth of the Sandy or Bonneville or any other popular fishing area. What happens when someone doesn't have the endorsement? What happens to someone that doesn't purchase the CE at the beginning of the year, but later finds themselves on the water during a hot bite and they forgot to buy it?

Hmmm....

Chris

(503) 866-0971

CNordlingfishin

Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #56
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

[QUOTE=Chris Nordling;5710034]If I had to guess, I would say that it is probably paying for addtional net pens, fish food, staff, and smolt transport to the SAFE areas.

It appears we are NOT paying for the commercial fisherman's change in gear, boats or personell so they can continue to fish the mainstem with non-gill net boats.

Venturing another guess, I'd have to say in the near future one would hope that fee would go towards habitat restoration, salmonid predation control, possibly even more harvestable fish production.

I agree with what you say in the first two paragraphs. I wish what you said in the last were true; however, if you take the dept at its word in its own announcement, the money is to assist with the transition of commercials from the river to safe areas. IT IS NOT FOR HABITAT RESTORATION, SALMONID PREDATION CONTROL AND EVEN MORE HARVESTABLE FISH PRODUCTION.

That gets back to the question I raised earlier, which no one has addressed. When are they ever going to learn how to produce good runs of hatchery springers? After how many decades, they are still clueless and cannot consistently produce good amounts of hatchery springers. So, with none of the money going to produce more hatchery fish, there will be some increase in the amount of fish available to sports from mostly terrible runs. What they really need to do is learn to produce more hatchery fish, but apparently, from their press releases that is not part of the plan. It will be business as usual, which means inconsistent and meager runs.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #57
Gun Rod Bow

Actually the fee is also paying for MORE hatchery fish. Select Area Brights raised in the Youngs Bay hatchery that will be available to both sport and commercial

Increased production. Not a transfer.

As far as not producing enough Spring Chinook, I guess you aren't old enough to remember the Columbia being closed to Spring Chinook fishing for 21 years, days of the week closures on the Willamette. 5 fish per person seasonal limits on Springers in the Willamette...

The coastal Hatchery Springers have been better than ever the past few years and some of those are on the increase.

Just a little perspective.

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 11-28-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #58
Nodakr
Steelhead

Is the endorsement permanent?
Under SB 830, the Columbia River Fisheries Enhancement Fund, along with the endorsement, is set to expire in 2021.

If the nets are going to be off the river by 2017,why is the endorsement expiring in 2021? .
Old 11-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #59
35Whelen
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminSalmon69 View Post

I will not be fishing the Columbia for Salmon any more they can have all the fish if that's what the Gov. and ODFW wants to give them 2013 Is the last Fishing license I will buy trust me if everyone did this ODFW would be sitting up and begging for any scratch they could find.
35Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #60
HalibutZach
Steelhead

For those of you who fish those waters the $9.75 fee means 1 more less gourmet coffee per year, no big deal. I do not care if they raise the fee to $500.00 dollars per year as I do not fish those waters. But, some people will not pay the fee just as a matter of principle. Its like when taxes are raised, any fee increase of any amount for anything *isses people off, offends them, and they get negative. Here is where I think they really miss the boat. I personally know of approx. 100 fishermen who fish those waters, and they spend ALOT of money for gear, bait, gas, lodging, food, it goes on and on, and these folks are saying they are not going to pay the fee, well, we will see if the ship has sailed on that one.
HalibutZach is offline   Reply With Quote