Winter steelhead PFD - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Back trolling
Tuna!

Default Winter steelhead PFD

I just thought I would pass this on because most rivers are cooling off and winter is closer than we would like. In past seasons I have just worn a backpack or vest when fishing steelhead from the bank. At the end of winter last year I got myself into a situation where I really would have liked to have had a PFD on. I wasn't going to winter fish again till I bought a PFD. After a little searching I found a Mustang manual inflatable fishing vest. The vest 2 large pockets 10"x6", 2 medium pockets 4"x7", and two small pockets that are 4"x4"( one of these houses the co2 cartridge).

There is plenty of room in the pockets for all the gear you may want to carry, and it could definately help save your life if needed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381285657.893427.jpg

Back trolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
FishOnShawn
Chromer

Default Re: Winter steelhead PFD

Must have been one crazy situation if you feel the need to wear a pfd bank fishing....
FishOnShawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOnShawn View Post
Must have been one crazy situation if you feel the need to wear a pfd bank fishing....
I don't know how many times I've almost bit it in my waders and thought to myself I should be wearing a PFD. Plus I can think of a few hundred places in the canyon on the Siletz where a slip from the bank would put you in the drink with no easy way out.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
DylanG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandsandpiper View Post
I don't know how many times I've almost bit it in my waders and thought to myself I should be wearing a PFD. Plus I can think of a few hundred places in the canyon on the Siletz where a slip from the bank would put you in the drink with no easy way out.

The S. gorge can be a scary place sometimes, especially during those high winter flows when you're fishing by yourself. That would be a nice piece to have for those occasions
DylanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Hawg-line-
Chromer

If you don't need to wear a PFD bank fishing you're not trying hard enough,

Quote:
Hawg-line- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Back trolling
Tuna!

Quote:
I knew someone who lost their life last year while bank fishing. They were experienced and were not wearing a PFD. If they had been it may have given others around more time to try to help. Then I had a close call. There are a handful of drownings every winter why not give yourself a little protection. The vest was only $150, is very comfortable, carries everything I would need to fish in a day, and it could save my life.
Back trolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Rickster
Chromer

Nice vest. I bought a cheaper inflatable pfd this summer. I have worn it each time I went on a boat trip. Better to have and not need, right?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
Thumper
King Salmon

The nice thing about a manually-inflatable vest is that you can keep a bit of air in the bladder at all times. If you go in the drink you may have the time pull the inflator handle or not, but at least you have some buoyancy either way.

Time for CCA to now start focusing on cormorants and Caspian terns. Let's save a few million smolts!

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
FishOnShawn
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg-line- View Post
If you don't need to wear a PFD bank fishing you're not trying hard enough,
I didnt think about canyon fishing and what not. I only fish the alsea and santiams. As far as me not trying hard enough, i just try not to push it. If its a questionable wade ill turn back. How many times do you hear "its just a fish, not worth your life, be careful out there" right after someone drowns. So yeah i dont push it. But yes i suppose some rivers are bad and i could see why someone would want one after thinking about it again.
FishOnShawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Soul Harvest
Steelhead

Have been wearing an inflatable vest since I bought my sled 16 years ago. Became part of my fishing preparation and now wear it EVERY time I hit the river, whether in the boat or walking the bank. I don't hike into canyons (at 65 that is no longer an option), but I do walk slippery banks, wade fast water, and trip on submerged objects way to often. The vest is a safety factor that ensures I will make it home to the grandkids and fish another day. I am on my second one now and wish that all the manufactures of inflatables would reintroduce the inflatable vest again! Mustang is currently the only one and I am guessing with the popularity of the "sospenders," they too might stop in the near future.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
FishBloodzz
Steelhead

Can't put a price on your life! Just my
FishBloodzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Hawg-line-
Chromer

I was just yankin yer chain...trying to lighten the mood...

Quote:
I didnt think about canyon fishing and what not. I only fish the alsea and santiams. As far as me not trying hard enough, i just try not to push it. If its a questionable wade ill turn back. How many times do you hear "its just a fish, not worth your life, be careful out there" right after someone drowns. So yeah i dont push it. But yes i suppose some rivers are bad and i could see why someone would want one after thinking about it again.
Hawg-line- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Quote:
Those are pretty timid rivers although the North Fork has a few places that are tricky. I have to laugh though. A friend of mine was visiting from Colorado recently and I took him fishing on the North Santiam and the Siletz. He asked, "Dude whats up with your rivers in Oregon? Its like someone blew snot all over the rocks!" I took it that wading in Colorado rivers is far easier. He was slipping all over the place. It was hoot to watch especially with beer and fly rod in hand. I could tell he was conflicted about which to save if he fell.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
farmguy
Steelhead

I kinda like the looks of that vest.

If you knew you were gonna need it you'd be wearing it. It'll happen when you least expect it.
farmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
RoughRider
Chromer

Quote:
I've waded up to my shoulders in fast current on the upper sandy trying to reach a prime rock to cast from. It's easy to slip and in 2 seconds you can be whisked away.
RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote