Any Alsea fishing reports? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 09-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
newportfisher
Tuna!

Default Any Alsea fishing reports?

Does anyone have a report about how fishing has been in the Alsea for chinook?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
sunbolt
Fry

Default Re: Any Alsea fishing reports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportfisher View Post
Does anyone have a report about how fishing has been in the Alsea for chinook?
Lots being caught all the way up to Tidewater.
River still too low anywhere up from there.
sunbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
igortigor
Steelhead

Just came back from there. Friday was dead, didn't see anyone catch anything. Saturday was slow but managed one 40" chinook in the AM and lost another PM(its a @#$ to land a fish by yourself). Crabbing was decent though.
igortigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
newportfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igortigor View Post
Just came back from there. Friday was dead, didn't see anyone catch anything. Saturday was slow but managed one 40" chinook in the AM and lost another PM(its a @#$ to land a fish by yourself). Crabbing was decent though.
Thanks for the report!! Fishing the jaws or up River?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
igortigor
Steelhead

Jaws. Had to go out some. I hooked both just before the bar. Need to be careful out there though, witnessed a nice boat go down there last year.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Oregonhunter

The family and I went over and fished Sat-today. Was slow but managed to get one chrome hen for 3 days of fishing but was the wife's first Oregon salmon so still happy . Saw maybe 6 caught down on Drift creek and then fished up above Kozy using eggs. It was not good up high at all. I didn't see anything rolling up there either and think I will give couple weeks and try again.

I would stick with just trolling down low at this point, the water temp s really warm up in bobber water still so doubt that's helping either. The biggest problem down where we trolled was the salad was crazy. Had to clean off the gear about every 20 seconds

O
Oregonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbolt View Post
Lots being caught all the way up to Tidewater.
River still too low anywhere up from there.
"Lots" is not a correct term to use here. FEW is more like it. Drift creek and the jaws are producing a FEW. The upper tidewater is really slow. This could change any day however.

Last edited by Bigworm; 09-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Bigworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
Adam.Ant
Fry

Any updates for this week/weekend?

With the rain we've been getting in the Portland area, I am hoping the river level has come up enough for the chinook to start heading up river. Any news from those in the know?
Adam.Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
BlackBass
Ifish Nate

When the river gauge hits 3' fish will push up.
BlackBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Bigworm
Chromer

Tried it. Nothing going on. Didn't see a single fish roll or hooked. What BlackBass said.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
kidcadwell
Fry

On saturday Got 1 in the boat 15lber , 2 other hard take downs, but fished most of the day to get that. Saw the guides bringing in a few fish at the docks. Gonna try again this weekend see what happens
kidcadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Adam.Ant
Fry

I will be just above Tidewater at one of the first few fishing holes; private property. I think if the water level rises a bit more, some fish may head upriver and get stuck in those holes if the water level goes back down. Basically I'm looking for confirmation that some fish are working their way upriver with the rising water levels over the past few days with the rain. I'll just watch the river levels closely the next two days and go from there. However, any continuing info or updates from those down there would be greatly appreciated.
Adam.Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Pensacola
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.Ant View Post
I will be just above Tidewater at one of the first few fishing holes; private property. I think if the water level rises a bit more, some fish may head upriver and get stuck in those holes if the water level goes back down. Basically I'm looking for confirmation that some fish are working their way upriver with the rising water levels over the past few days with the rain. I'll just watch the river levels closely the next two days and go from there. However, any continuing info or updates from those down there would be greatly appreciated.
In August there are always a few of what they call Summer Chinook that go to the lower tribs on the Alsea. That spurt lasts just a few days and a few will always bite in the 70 degree water. With the good tides coming up fishing the jaws will be good but the weeds have been terrible (even worse than Tillamook). A few Coho are starting to show but the best is yet to come assuming they don't all get sucked upriver by a freshet or three like last year.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
stryker20
Coho

Landed two fish on sunday 13# and 18#. One jack on monday and lost one.
stryker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
Team Thunderjet
Steelhead

There's no fish on the Alsea, don't go
Team Thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
td2pts
Steelhead

I have a question regarding fishing the jaws (actually a couple questions). If anyone familiar with the area would care to shoot me a PM I will ask them there.

Thanks,
TD
td2pts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Clownegg
Cutthroat

Dead as a doornail in the river from the 1st bank access spots all the way up to the deadline for Tuesday the 24th. It is rising as of right now; so fish should be coming in after this rain event on. I know that Monday was good for catching in the river, but it seemed to be the darkies that were marinating in tidewater. They are through and the river was relatively sparse with a lack of fish, but they will be coming in thick from tidewater (so we hope).
Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
hunter2468
Chromer

I have alot of drift boat experience (drift boat guide in alaska) but have never drifted the Alsea river. I am looking for suggestions of boat launches that would be good to launch at once the water starts to rise. Not looking for secret holes or anything, I can read water. Just looking for a suggestion with boat ramp names in an area within the first ten miles above tidewater. I also would be curious of any potential hazards on this stretch. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
igortigor
Steelhead

What would you like to know about fishing Alsea jaws?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
DylanG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter2468 View Post
I have alot of drift boat experience (drift boat guide in alaska) but have never drifted the Alsea river. I am looking for suggestions of boat launches that would be good to launch at once the water starts to rise. Not looking for secret holes or anything, I can read water. Just looking for a suggestion with boat ramp names in an area within the first ten miles above tidewater. I also would be curious of any potential hazards on this stretch. Thanks for the help!
There's a put in at Barkley's brake, river mile 12 or 13. Its basically a "ninny ninny poo poo" slide, this would be your best bet to hitting the first holes above tidewater. Its kind of a sketch slide though so you might want to check it out first before launching. There's another slide below Ernie Walters but above Barkley's break, i just can't remember what river mile its on.

Last edited by Jennie@ifish; 10-02-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Edited out language
DylanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
Chknwire
Coho

I would probably recommend the Lower Hellion to the Barclay hole run. There are no real public take outs below the Barclay Hole.
Chknwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
Gary W
Steelhead

fresh water is still low not many fish above tidewater anyway. water temp is dropping. best fishing in drift creek area. fresh fish still coming into the bay. hit is spotty.
Gary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Siwash
Ifish Nate

Any reports from the last few days or weeks will be pretty much null & void beyond this weekend if the current forecast holds (flow predicted to go up ~2Kcfs by Sunday night).
Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
DylanG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwash View Post
Any reports from the last few days or weeks will be pretty much null & void beyond this weekend if the current forecast holds (flow predicted to go up ~2Kcfs by Sunday night).
ya that, best to go and make your own report right now...
Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
DoinBusiness
Fry

Couldn’t find an open seat, but got to fish! Just moved up here from AZ and need to start catching some real fish. Don’t have a boat yet, so I have a three part question: (1) where would be the best place from shore, (2) what times should I go, (3) how should I fish for them? Any help would be amazing, or open seat….
DoinBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
Gary W
Steelhead

You have a week or so to get your gear together and find a location on what ever river you choose. The recent floods on coastal streams have brought down logs and debris and muddied all the water. I suppose many fish will make it to fresh water after the rivers drop and clear.
Gary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
Mr Limpet
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoinBusiness View Post
Couldn’t find an open seat, but got to fish! Just moved up here from AZ and need to start catching some real fish. Don’t have a boat yet, so I have a three part question: (1) where would be the best place from shore, (2) what times should I go, (3) how should I fish for them? Any help would be amazing, or open seat….
Going out on a limb here to say that by your post, you know absolutely nothing about our fishery. I'm not trying to discourage you by any way but just giving you the best advise I could give someone who has never fished for salmon or steelhead.

I have been an avid fishermen (all kinds) my entire life (I'm 55) and have never hired a fishing guide. If I had it to do over again, I would certainly do this and here is why. By hiring a guide, you will be put into an anglers time machine and come out the other end with the knowledge it would take you years to learn on your own. It may seem a little spendy, but if you think about it and do the math, you would be saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars in terms of what you will reap in relatively short time.
Now, this is not to say that you couldn't be a successful fisherman for these fish on your own; that would depend on you. Some just take to it better than others. I learned by going, watching, reading and being persistant but spent a lot of money, a lot of time trying different things that I thought I should be doing and using but was missing on little thinigs that made a huge difference. One other thing. Most fishermen would rather tell you than show you. Asking for an open seat may get you one, but don't hold your breath. If you don't hire a guide, buy a book on the subject and have an open mind and you must be persistant to learn how to catch fish with regularity.

Good luck
Mr Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #28
overfitty
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoinBusiness View Post
You want to hook up with Grant Scheele in Albany...he's one of the best guides around & will get you going on the right track. Just google him, book a trip, and enjoy the northwest!! The rest will be history
overfitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
tapalong
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W View Post
You have a week or so to get your gear together and find a location on what ever river you choose. The recent floods on coastal streams have brought down logs and debris and muddied all the water. I suppose many fish will make it to fresh water after the rivers drop and clear.
Do you think it will fishable by this Sunday?
Thanks, Gregory
tapalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
DylanG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapalong View Post
Do you think it will fishable by this Sunday?
Thanks, Gregory
Only one way to find out... Get out there and fish em! Best of luck man!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #31
Ketch'am
Steelhead

I predict this weekend will be a zoo. Bring your own rock/hole. Good luck everyone.
Ketch'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #32
DylanG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch'am View Post
I predict this weekend will be a zoo. Bring your own rock/hole. Good luck everyone.

Or tent lol, see ya out there!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #33
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanG View Post
Or tent lol, see ya out there!
That will be me...
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #34
kidcadwell
Fry

Any luck on the Alsea this weekend? Was there sunday (drift creek to taylors) didn't see one fish caught or in a boat. Heard at the dock 8 fish came through but sure wasn't that many for as many boats that were out there. Any idea why such low numbers or am I not getting the straight scoop?
kidcadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
Mitchk
Coho

Heard DylanG up there hooked into quite a few on Saturday and limited out in 6 hours from the bank, however I doubt he'd give up the spot...
Mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #36
seasport24
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcadwell View Post
Any luck on the Alsea this weekend? Was there sunday (drift creek to taylors) didn't see one fish caught or in a boat. Heard at the dock 8 fish came through but sure wasn't that many for as many boats that were out there. Any idea why such low numbers or am I not getting the straight scoop?
My wife got one at the jaws...only saw 4 others caught before we left. There were some caught in the stretch you mentioned. Saw two, and know of 5 others on our way up to Taylor's for lunch. Marked a lot of fish.
Good luck
seasport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #37
sunbolt
Fry

Sunday (10/6) a group of us had 20 take downs and landed 8 coho and 3 chinook.
Also saw a few instagram posts of several more fish landed. I've never seen so many people parked on the side of the road on my way out to my spot--lots of people fishing!

Headed out again tomorrow...we will see what happens
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #38
grassman
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by td2pts View Post
I have a question regarding fishing the jaws (actually a couple questions). If anyone familiar with the area would care to shoot me a PM I will ask them there.

Thanks,
TD

New to ifish - how do you send pm?
grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #39
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman View Post
New to ifish - how do you send pm?
Go to the top, look at the right, you'll see "private messages", click on that and from there if you look at the left, you'll see send a private message, click on that and you'll be ready to go. It helps if you know how to spell the name (moniker) of the person you want to pm.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #40
FishOnShawn
Chromer

Just click on their name on the post and it gives u the option to pm them
FishOnShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #41
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

Quote:
I've never seen so many people parked on the side of the road on my way out to my spot--lots of people fishing!
and you wonder why that is? just saying that if you post 400,000 take downs, you get what you are asking for. 35 posts so far, and 6000 views.

the coastal rivers are all pretty simple: the river goes up, and then comes down, then groups of fish swim up and get caught or spawn. not saying you, but others, I don't understand why asking for reports, as it just brings tons of people to tight quarters.

river up, river down, fish, smile to yourself about your catch, repeat.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #42
Oregonhunter

So I am not trying to get any secret info just looking for anyone who has maybe fished the Drift cr. section this week.....I am hoping to fish Saturday and get my youngest her first fish but for some reason when I take her its always the wrong part of the river...lol..Is it too late for trolling herring that low? PMs are welcome I just want to make the most of the day and my work schedule makes it where I can only get over once every couple wks....sucks thx for any info
Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #43
sunbolt
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinookSlayer View Post
and you wonder why that is? just saying that if you post 400,000 take downs, you get what you are asking for. 35 posts so far, and 6000 views.

the coastal rivers are all pretty simple: the river goes up, and then comes down, then groups of fish swim up and get caught or spawn. not saying you, but others, I don't understand why asking for reports, as it just brings tons of people to tight quarters.

river up, river down, fish, smile to yourself about your catch, repeat.
Ha ha ha...I'm okay with seeing all of those people out there. It's a great year all over the NW and there is a lot of fishable water, and fish, in every system.

I thought ifish was a nice community to help others out...apparently I'm mistaken.

Last edited by sunbolt; 10-11-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #44
Black Sheep
Fry

Quote:
Ha ha ha...I'm okay with seeing all of those people out there. It's a great year all over the NW and there is a lot of fishable water, and fish, in every system.

I thought ifish was a nice community to help others out...apparently I'm mistaken.
Yes...you are mistaken
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #45
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

Quote:
lots of good advice, rigging techniques, killer egg cures, safety tips. yes, IFish is a great place to help others. but tell your nice little fishing spot, and have 400 people standing there the next time you go, that isn't helping anybody out.

i'll tell you everything I know about how to catch fish, except where I am going. kokanee fishing, I put up pic's of my fish finder, depth, pic's of lures, area of the lake, cause you can have a lot of people floating around in a lake without any problems.

tell where to stand, yes you are mistaken.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #46
Oregonhunter

Took the family over and fished yesterday down by Drift but very slow....Did see 3 hooked at high slack in the morning but that was it. One of those was lost to a seal. Felt bad for the guy Looked like those where silvers. Never seen so many seals in one place. Saw 5 hanging out right the mouth of Drift Cr. alone.

Feeling from the folks I talked to said they felt things are starting to wrap up. But between rain showers still got to see some sunshine

Going to try and get the kid a fish still but may be time to try something else...Still hoping things pick up again

Last edited by Oregonhunter; 10-13-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #47
bb2fish
Steelhead

How do you fish for Alsea salmon? Troll cut plug herring? Eggs on a bobber? Spinners? I was thinking about going to either Drift Creek area or upriver towards Taylor's -- are the bait and techniques different for those areas of the Alsea? Anybody doing any catching lately?
bb2fish is offline   Reply With Quote